Reason for horn beeping 3 times?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Reason for horn beeping 3 times? in Cadillac SRX Forums; When I am driving the car, with my wife as a passenger, she has a set of the car keys ...
    Movinon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Performance

Reason for horn beeping 3 times?

When I am driving the car, with my wife as a passenger, she has a set of the car keys in her purse. When I turn off the car and start to walk around to the passenger side the horn beeps 3 times. I assume this is to alert me that there is still a set of keys in the car. I haven't locked the doors yet and I don't use the passive door locking. Is there someway to disable the 3 beeps?
    Thanks for any information.
    Tom

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

georule is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury AWD Silver Coast Metallic

Re: Reason for horn beeping 3 times?

Yeah, it's in the Settings, which can be accessed from the big gear on the home page of CUE.

I forget what it's called, but it's something about forgetting your keys alert in one of the menus in Settings. Anti-lockout alert? Something like that. Basically, because you're getting out of the car and closing the door while your wife who is still in the car has her own fob for the vehicle in her purse, CUE is thinking you've left the keys in the car and is trying to let you know. Yes, you can turn it off (I eventually did).

Thanks. I will search for it tomorrow.

Try the "Remote Lock, Unlock, Start" menu under Vehicle. "Remote left in vehicle reminder".

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Movinon View Post
    When I am driving the car, with my wife as a passenger, she has a set of the car keys in her purse. When I turn off the car and start to walk around to the passenger side the horn beeps 3 times. I assume this is to alert me that there is still a set of keys in the car. I haven't locked the doors yet and I don't use the passive door locking. Is there someway to disable the 3 beeps?
    Thanks for any information.
    Tom
    Hello Tom,

I see forum members have provided insightful information regarding your question. Have you been able to try and disable the vehicle alert system? If you have additional questions, don't hesitate to contact me via private message.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

I changed the setting. Wednesday, the wife and I will be in the car together. Hopefully the beeping will not occur. I realize it is a petty annoyance but it startles me every time it goes off. It is also an annoyance when we pull into someone else's driveway,y to visit and the horn beeps. It is as if I am trying to announce my arrival.

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Since I am the only one who carries the SRX keys I really count on that reminder... just in case I have left the keys in my jacket that I may have taken off or left it in the console area.

I also have my SRX lock automatically so I don't accidently forget to lock my doors when I leave the SRX in a parking lot or go inside the house.
    crump13 likes this.

crump13 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Performance Black Raven/Ebony w/Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by Marc NY View Post
    Since I am the only one who carries the SRX keys I really count on that reminder... just in case I have left the keys in my jacket that I may have taken off or left it in the console area.

I also have my SRX lock automatically so I don't accidently forget to lock my doors when I leave the SRX in a parking lot or go inside the house.
    Mark,

I am the same way. I live alone and the only driver for my SRX and have it set to auto lock. I appreciate the three beeps to remind if I ever leave my key fob in the car. I also understand how annoying it would be if it happened every time you got out of the car and a second key was still in the car and it beeped three times. I still get startled with the one beep it does when my car auto locks. I know it is going to happen but for some reason it still startles me from time to time.

I have my key fob in a carabiner clip that I clip to one of my belt loops (I typically have a belt loop on most everything I wear) this way it is with me and not left in the car. I got in the habit of using a carabiner clip with riding my motorcycle as it was easier to gas up with my keys clipped to a belt loop if i had gloves on then trying to dig them out of a pocket so I just carry my key fob that way. The key fob is the only thing on the clip so it is not like I have a load of keys hanging from my belt loop. :-)

~Tina~

This is why it is a setting. If it works for you, use it. If it doesn't, turn it off.

It doesn't for me, because the wife does carry her own fob so it goes off semi-regularly when there's really no need (often at gas stations, where heads turn to see the man being remonstrated by his Cadillac).

And frankly, my keys never leave my pocket anymore these days. We even installed an electronic keypad lock ($70 from Amazon, and all it takes is 4 AAA batteries and a Phillips screwdriver to install) on the door from the garage into the house because of that fact. Particularly my wife was complaining that her keys sink to the bottom of her purse, and since she doesn't have to have them out to drive anymore (and so doesn't have them in her hand exiting the vehicle), she was finding herself at that door after coming home from shopping with her hands full and her keys not easily accessible.

They are beginning to make house locks now similar to the fob systems on the SRX, but they are still a bit pricey and the reviews are mixed. No doubt they'll get better and cheaper over time. The keypad option is a nice solution at a reasonable price for now.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Movinon View Post
    I changed the setting. Wednesday, the wife and I will be in the car together. Hopefully the beeping will not occur. I realize it is a petty annoyance but it startles me every time it goes off. It is also an annoyance when we pull into someone else's driveway,y to visit and the horn beeps. It is as if I am trying to announce my arrival.
    Tom,

Thank you for providing an update. I understand how the beeping noise alert could be annoying and startling every time it goes off. Please let me know if changing your setting resolved your concern. Don't hesitate to reach out to me via private message to further discuss any questions.

Kindest Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

retcad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

beep beep. beep beep. his horn went beep beep beep! Couldn't resist. Old enough to remember the song? "I'll show them that a Cadillac is not a car to scorn!"

I occasionally get the triple beep when exiting or re-entering my 2010, but not often. Depending on where you are or where your fob is on your person, the car 'thinks' you may have left it behind and warns you.

MJDART is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium

I think the engineers should reprogram the alert with more range added to the warning. Walking around the front or rear of the vehicle should not set off the alert. The alert should be set to 10-15 feet or more. Also I park mine in the garage and get out and within seconds the doors auto lock, most times I still have packages or groceries I need to retrieve, this causes me to once again unlock the doors.

Quote Originally Posted by MJDART View Post
    I think the engineers should reprogram the alert with more range added to the warning. Walking around the front or rear of the vehicle should not set off the alert. The alert should be set to 10-15 feet or more. Also I park mine in the garage and get out and within seconds the doors auto lock, most times I still have packages or groceries I need to retrieve, this causes me to once again unlock the doors.
    It would be nice if there were options for length of time before the doors lock (if not 1 sec increments with a up/down button, at least multiple options like 8 sec, 30 sec, etc). And it'd be nice if it didn't start the count until the fob was out of range. But the fobs are pretty small, and I don't know how much range they have anyway. Bluetooth is intended to be short distances, and even the theoretical of the spec is going to be impacted by the actual transmitter and the amount and type of obstruction in the way.

Taking groceries in the house and coming back for more? That might be a bit much --leave the car door open.

BoCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by georule View Post

They are beginning to make house locks now similar to the fob systems on the SRX, but they are still a bit pricey and the reviews are mixed. No doubt they'll get better and cheaper over time. The keypad option is a nice solution at a reasonable price for now.
    I like the one from Simplicikey. It has key fob, keypad and key.

MJDART is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium

Taking groceries in the house and coming back for more? That might be a bit much --leave the car door open.
    Hey "GEORULE" I walk to the front of the SRX, open garage door into house to let my dogs out (3') and doors auto lock, I don't like this happening, programing should serve me not hinder me!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.