Multiple items breaking on 2010 SRX in short time
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By tjolley
  • 1 Post By Huey Driver
  • 2 Post By Huey Driver
  • 1 Post By westham
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Multiple items breaking on 2010 SRX in short time in Cadillac SRX Forums; UGH! I have only owned my 2010 SRX since Early September 2013. It had 43,000 miles on it when I ...
    tjolley is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

Thumbs down Multiple items breaking on 2010 SRX in short time

UGH!

I have only owned my 2010 SRX since Early September 2013. It had 43,000 miles on it when I purchased it. However in the the last 2,900 miles (from 49,900-52,800) I have had 5 different items fail on my vehicle:

- Since day 1 I have had an issue with the fuel flow-rate sensor. It is just plain wrong. It mis-reads fuel usage by 0.5-1.7 gallons per tank. This causes every single stat that relies on fuel usage and fuel usage over time to be wrong including:
    - MPG
    - Instantaneous MGG
    - Range
    - Range remaining
    - Low fuel warning

- On the day I hit 50,000, the environmental controls failed, necessitating a replacement of the center console controls. Yes..they had to replace the entire center console.

- One week later, that oxygen sensor in the fuel system failed, which disabled the auto-start feature. This had to be repaired, but GM did pick up all but $100 of the cost.

- In the last two days I have had two other failures:
    - The tire pressure module failed per OnStar diagnosis and needs to be replaced

- My Infotainment System (as bad as it is under the best circumstances) now refuses to access any media on iPhones (I have tried multiple phones with multiple cables) with the error "Unable to use Media"

The bitch of it is, I opened a case with GM about the fuel rate sensor issue more than a month ago (#71-1258172466 with Thomas Keller 866-790-5700 X21645) and have not heard word one back about that incident. I have called and have been unable to reach Mr. Keller on multiple occasions and have left voicemails, all of which remain un-returned.

This is 'American Quality"? This is "Detroit is Back"? Are you kidding me? I would not expect this level of crap quality and response for an entry level $5,000 Hyundai from 20 years ago, let alone a vehicle that costs over $50k new for the version I have.

When I called the dedicated Infotainment group just to inquire if they had any knowledge of other owners having issues with the 2010 SRX and iPhone 5 with iOS7, the response was "Take it to a dealer and have a diagnostic run on it" Really sunshine? Is it really too much to ask someone whose SOLE JOB is to support that portion of the vehicle to actually do a search of the known issues with my particular vehicle type and give me a straight yes/no answer on if this is a known issue and what, if anything is being done to address it? For God's sake, you have the damn VIN and you are sitting in front of a computer...is it that much over your head to do a simple database search? Since I had already tried multiple phones and cables with he same error message, it is either an incompatibility with iOS7, or a failure of some sort in the vehicle.

Is there anyone, anywhere within GM who actually gives a damn about their customers and the quality of their vehicles? Anyone...anywhere...seriously..I haven't found one yet.

Meanwhile, I am stuck with a piece of crap vehicle that has 500% more failures in less than 5 months and 10,000 miles of ownership than my 13+ year old Honda CR-V that I put 186,500 miles on.

I was seriously debating between this 2010 SRX and a brand new 2014 Kia Soul !. I definitely made the wrong decision. Believe me, I will never make the mistake of owning another American-designed vehicle again.
    stevec5375 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tup
    Tup is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX

Re: Multiple items breaking on 2010 SRX in short time

Unfortunately, I think first model year vehicles are risky... esp domestic brands. Look at the Ford Escape...7 recalls since the 2014 arrived in August. Check out the 2014 MDX forums.... lots of upset people there. There are always tweaks and changes made during production runs.

Well I did get a call from my Dealership this morning after they got a call from Detroit. At least Cadillac monitors these forums. Unfortunately for Cadillac, this is not a dealer issue. The dealership I use, Germain CADILLAC at Easton, in Columbus Ohio is spectacular! This is most definitely NOT a dealership issue. It is a 100% manufacturer issue.

Right now Cadillac/GM is living up to their 1970's reputation of designing vehicles to fall apart right at the end of the warranty. And they are also living up to their 1970's reputation of charging for repairs for those failures.

If Cadillac wants to play with the Big Boys, it needs to start thinking like the Big Boys. What would Mercedes, Infinity, BMW, or Lexus do in a similar situation where an owner of one of their $50k+ vehicles was experiencing failures at a rate of more than 1 per month of ownership? What would the premier foreign badges do if one of their owners was facing 4 failures in under 3,000 of of 90% highway miles?

That is the level Cadillac/GM needs to get to if they want to actually compete and be taken seriously. They need to get away from not returning voicemails, dodging phone calls, not responding to issues that have been open for months until it gets onto the forums, having dedicated support lines use the default "take it to the dealership" tagline (I mean really. Why even have the support line if that is all they are going to do?)

I have owned Infities before. Both new and used. Let me tell you, Cadillac is no Infinity, which is sad considering Infiniti just started up a few decades ago. Cadillac is the home team with a long history, but right now, the level of quality and support from the manufacturer puts them down around Hyudai Tuscon, Kia Soul level - if even that high. I would expect this from a low teens to a maybe a mid-$20k level vehicle, not a $50k+ vehicle.

Movinon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Performance

I bought a 2014 srx performance a few months ago. It has been problem free so far. I have had a 2010 Infiniti, G37 for 4 years. It has also been problem free, but if you check out the Q50 forum you will see numerous complaints about it. When I trade in my G37 I will probably lean toward the ATS over the Q50.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by tjolley View Post
    Well I did get a call from my Dealership this morning after they got a call from Detroit. At least Cadillac monitors these forums. Unfortunately for Cadillac, this is not a dealer issue. The dealership I use, Germain CADILLAC at Easton, in Columbus Ohio is spectacular! This is most definitely NOT a dealership issue. It is a 100% manufacturer issue.

Right now Cadillac/GM is living up to their 1970's reputation of designing vehicles to fall apart right at the end of the warranty. And they are also living up to their 1970's reputation of charging for repairs for those failures.

If Cadillac wants to play with the Big Boys, it needs to start thinking like the Big Boys. What would Mercedes, Infinity, BMW, or Lexus do in a similar situation where an owner of one of their $50k+ vehicles was experiencing failures at a rate of more than 1 per month of ownership? What would the premier foreign badges do if one of their owners was facing 4 failures in under 3,000 of of 90% highway miles?

That is the level Cadillac/GM needs to get to if they want to actually compete and be taken seriously. They need to get away from not returning voicemails, dodging phone calls, not responding to issues that have been open for months until it gets onto the forums, having dedicated support lines use the default "take it to the dealership" tagline (I mean really. Why even have the support line if that is all they are going to do?)

I have owned Infities before. Both new and used. Let me tell you, Cadillac is no Infinity, which is sad considering Infiniti just started up a few decades ago. Cadillac is the home team with a long history, but right now, the level of quality and support from the manufacturer puts them down around Hyudai Tuscon, Kia Soul level - if even that high. I would expect this from a low teens to a maybe a mid-$20k level vehicle, not a $50k+ vehicle.
    Hello Todd,

I was able to review your case in which you provided the reference number in your initial post on this thread. I understand how multiple vehicle concerns are frustrating to deal with so soon after purchase. I saw the interactions in your case file and see that Thomas spoke with your dealership and that Chris Conrad at your dealership spoke with you regarding your situation. I will document our interaction and your comments within your case file. I apologize for your current dissatisfaction due to your situation. If there is anything else you would like to further discuss, I can be reached via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

Just to put things in perspective, your fuel readings are only off by 2-8%. That may seem big, but I kind of think on something like this, anywhere under 10% is accurate enough. Its not like you are going to fall out of the sky if your MPG estimates are off by 1mpg.
    Is there really a flow sensor tho? I guess I always thought that if I was computing fuel flow, I'd use the injector duration to calculate how much fuel was delivered through the injectors. A flow rate sensor would be very unreliable at the low rate fuel would flow through the fuel line, at best something like 6-7 fl oz a minute.
    Dont get me wrong, I get wanting everything to work right. I understand the frustration with the phone. But if the engineers told you the best they hoped for was 95% accuracy on MPG estimates, would you accept that? Heck, I just put 21.4 gal in a 21 gal tank (my mistake for overfilling). Even an odometer can be off by 5% and no one would blink an eye...
    TheCaptain likes this.

algiorda is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 , 2010, 2014 Luxury Raven Blk w/Ebony

I don't mean to diminish any of the issues you are having and I sympathize with your plight, but I have a 2010 Original with almost 50k miles and it has been rock solid with not ONE issue!!!! I originally leased this vehicle and after 3 years, I decided to purchase it because I took very good care of it and it was trouble free. As a matter of fact, my SRX runs better/smoother now, than when I first purchased it!!!!

Back from 9 days out of the country, no calls, emails, or voicemails since the one call from the dealership to get more details. Nothing from GM/Cadillac about resolving any of these ongoing issues.

I guess this is typical behavior for an American car company?

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Huey Driver View Post
    Just to put things in perspective, your fuel readings are only off by 2-8%. .
    So if your bank deposits were only off by 2-8%, while every other bank was accurate, you'd be OK with that? Yea, didn't think so. We are talking about a very inexpensive part that every other foreign manufacturer has figured out how to do accurately (when they choose to implement it). GM, not so much - and given that this is a known issue for going n 4 years now, no solution? Just "Deal with it"?

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

I was only making the point that its a small percentage. If my bank is off by 5% of course I would do something about it because I would be losing (or gaining, I suppose) money. You aren't 'losing' anything by the computer indicating an incorrect MPG, you're still getting the full mileage out of the gas you paid for.
    Even the difference between new and worn tires is 2.5% alone. I'm only saying that I wouldn't base everything on the quality of this one convenience option. You have some problems, but you bought a car that was 3 years old and 90% through its warranty. I'm sure you saved a lot on the initial depreciation, but at certain risks. And some of the issues you had were repaired under warranty.
    There's lots of people on here who are happy with their cars, many who arent. Some who werent were made happy, others cannot ever be made happy. It may be harsh, but I think corporations are good enough at figuring out which group a person falls in to. You said you opened a ticket on your "fuel rate sensor" problem. Is there even such a device? Can you imagine a support engineer who gets an angry complaint about a part that doesnt exist? I know I'd have to give a lot of thought to how I'd handle that one...
    TheCaptain and crump13 like this.

redvett94 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

You bought a used vehicle who knows how it was treated. If your out of the 4 yr 50000 mi bumper to bumper warranty GM is not responsible. Your Powertrain warranty is good 5 yrs 100000 miles.

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Quote Originally Posted by tjolley View Post

I have owned one Nissan and two Infinities and let me say that all 3 were stellar compared to the SRX. In fact, my warranty just ran out on my 2010 SRX and I'm seriously considering dumping it and going back to a Nissan/Infiniti.

Tup
    Tup is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX

You mention going back to Nissan but the grass isn't always greener. If you research the new Pathfinder or Infiniti JX (QX now) you will find many unhappy owners.
    http://www.infinitijxforum.com/showt...Quality-Issues As I said before... first model cars are risky.

westham is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury

I, like the original poster, purchased a 2010 7 months ago with 33,700 miles. It has been back for warranty work 5 times since my purchase for the issues which have been posted on this forum many times. I did purchase an extended warranty which will get me to 83K miles so I am not extremely worried financially for future problems. But like the original poster it is very doubtful I will buy another GM product, especially one from the first production year.
    stevec5375 likes this.

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Quote Originally Posted by westham View Post
    I, like the original poster, purchased a 2010 7 months ago with 33,700 miles. It has been back for warranty work 5 times since my purchase for the issues which have been posted on this forum many times. I did purchase an extended warranty which will get me to 83K miles so I am not extremely worried financially for future problems. But like the original poster it is very doubtful I will buy another GM product, especially one from the first production year.
    Your post is a perfect example of what I've been saying in this forum for years. We are now seeing a lot of people on here who have bought a used SRX where the original owner did not get the items fixed under warranty that you've had to have fixed. They were either blissfully ignorant there was even anything wrong or they were just OK living with it. But it does at least cast some light on how many problems the first year model (and even the 2nd year model to some degree) had. GM was too eager and rushed this car to market before it was properly debugged. I would love to know the stats on how many people will avoid GM due to this. It is easy to see why Consumer Reports is rating this reliability of the SRX as less than average. This will be the first vehicle in many years that I'm afraid to hold on to for an extended of time (10 years). I've had it for 4 years and am looking to get out of it soon. I can't image having to shell out $2K for headlight assembly.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tup View Post
    You mention going back to Nissan but the grass isn't always greener. If you research the new Pathfinder or Infiniti JX (QX now) you will find many unhappy owners.
    http://www.infinitijxforum.com/showt...Quality-Issues As I said before... first model cars are risky.
    I agree with you that first year models are risky. That is why I won't be buying anymore first year models. I had an i30t and a QX4 and neither were first year models. They both ran like a champ for a very long time. I put 85K miles on the QX4 over a 10 year period and the only thing I had to replace was the radio/CD player unit.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.