2012 SRX Common Problems.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, 2012 SRX Common Problems. in Cadillac SRX Forums; Good day all, I'm looking into a 2012 Performance Collection SRX. The vehicle is still within base warranty and seems ...
    ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

2012 SRX Common Problems.

Good day all,

I'm looking into a 2012 Performance Collection SRX. The vehicle is still within base warranty and seems to be fairly well equipped (AWD, navigation, rear seat entertainment, sun roof, 3.6L, adjustable pedals) although I'm disappointed that the steering column adjuster is manual and not electric. I'm curious to know if there are any known common problems with these yet? I could not find a thread about these with my search so I thought I'd ask. I know there has been some work done already (front axle seals, some sort of rear suspension bushing(s) and perhaps one or two other small items). Feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD

Re: 2012 SRX Common Problems.

Common issues on this generation SRX (2010-2014) include moisture in headlamps that can lead to HID bulb failure, leaky sunroof drains that let water into the interior, shorted out power liftgate button, pitted and peeling chrome wheels.

Mark Bo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 Cadillac SRX

Regarding the pitted and/or peeling chrome wheels, warranty item? I am planning on taking mine in for the issue. I have a 2012 SRX Premium Trim.

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Thanks for the information, at least I have a better idea what I may be getting into. I know the STS also has problems with moisture in the headlamps so this does't sound unique to the SRX (not that it is any less irritating). I've also heard that problems with chrome wheels is quite common in the Escalade and a few others. I'm also not too surprised about the liftgate switch either. I've been down that road with the Enclave. In that case, the rubber casing developed cracks and moisture penetrated into the contacts. The liftgate all of sudden had a mind of its own. The sunroof drains, well that may be a problem and I won't be looking forward to that. Does anyone know if GM has revised these recently?

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bo View Post
    Regarding the pitted and/or peeling chrome wheels, warranty item? I am planning on taking mine in for the issue. I have a 2012 SRX Premium Trim.
    The official GM service bulletin says they will replace each wheel once under the bumper to bumper warranty for chrome pitting. The chrome was peeling off my wheel about two weeks after I bought it, so it could have been present even while sitting on the lot. If I have another issue with that wheel, I will argue that peeling and pitting are two different issues.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Mark Bo likes this.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hello Mark Bo,

I apologize for the peeling chrome wheels you are experiencing with your SRX. Have you scheduled an appointment at your dealership yet? If you would like to further discuss your situation or have my involvement while working with your dealer, please let me know. I can be reached via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Mark Bo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 Cadillac SRX

Thank you Laura. I will let you know if there is a problem.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hello Mark Bo,

I apologize for the peeling chrome wheels you are experiencing with your SRX. Have you scheduled an appointment at your dealership yet? If you would like to further discuss your situation or have my involvement while working with your dealer, please let me know. I can be reached via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

btk301 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): srx

Hi there. Purchased my first SRX last August, a 2012 Performance trim. Love it, but not without it's issues. First let me say this website has been a huge help in locating, and correcting, some issues. Is the SRX a "Certified used" model from a dealer? If so, the standard warranty is extended far past the original factory warranty, if it is. For my money, that made a huge difference in deciding to buy private, or from Cadillac. I believe it takes it to 7 years/70,000 miles but I'm not sure. If you notice any air leaks I found 2. #1 was as excessive space between the roof line and the top of the rear hatch. Cadillac has a TSB for this and it requires a simple installation of a plastic filler strip for that space. #2 was an adjustment needed for the forward edge of the sunroof glass. Both covered under the warranty and taken care of. Driving in "ECO" mode will save you a fair amount of fuel but it wants to switch to a higher gear too soon, giving the false impression there is some hesitation in the engine. The stereo is a little disappointing, given it's a Bose. I have heard richer sound from many other base line stereos in other cars. Certainly doesn't have the "premium" sound it should. Cadillac should really look at this for the future. Performance is great but be careful with your right foot. Torque steer is very prominent on the front wheel drive model and will "light up" the front wheels if you mash the pedal at any speed under 20mph. If you're in the middle or a turn and do it, you're now going straight (instead of turning) immediately as the traction control is very late to engage. My last vehicle was a GMC Envoy and that traction control engaged at the first sign of even a wheel chirp. This issue might be eliminated with the AWD model instead of just FWD. Mechanically it's been perfect with no engine problems, fluid leaks, mysterious noises, or suspension issues. I'm an old time mechanic and a bit of a "gear head" so I know a few things (or used to anyway) about engines and suspension workings. Hope this info helps you in your decision.

Thank you Laura. I will let you know if there is a problem.
    Mark
    Mark,

You are more than welcome.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

kathlarr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX

I bought a 2012 SRX new, from the dealer, in December 2012. Within the first 5000 miles it exhibited what I can only call a miss. It wasn't long enough to throw a code and make the check engine light come on, but it was undeniable that something was wrong. The dealership told me I needed to wait until I hit 7500 miles and the first oil change before they'd address it. They have had the car back three times (I now have 14700 miles) to fix the problem and I have had the following responses/fixes: (1) we cleaned the injectors, but the rough idle is normal (whaaaaat?!); (2) we can't duplicate the problem; (3) after the service manager drove it and admitted he felt the problem, too, they replaced a coil and spark plug. Within one mile after picking the car up from the coil and plug repair, it again exhibited the miss at idle with the tranny in drive and at a stop light. We turned right back around and took it back to the dealership, where it now sits for a fifth (the first time they sent me home without even opening an RO) request to repair this known problem.

Quote Originally Posted by kathlarr View Post
    I bought a 2012 SRX new, from the dealer, in December 2012. Within the first 5000 miles it exhibited what I can only call a miss. It wasn't long enough to throw a code and make the check engine light come on, but it was undeniable that something was wrong. The dealership told me I needed to wait until I hit 7500 miles and the first oil change before they'd address it. They have had the car back three times (I now have 14700 miles) to fix the problem and I have had the following responses/fixes: (1) we cleaned the injectors, but the rough idle is normal (whaaaaat?!); (2) we can't duplicate the problem; (3) after the service manager drove it and admitted he felt the problem, too, they replaced a coil and spark plug. Within one mile after picking the car up from the coil and plug repair, it again exhibited the miss at idle with the tranny in drive and at a stop light. We turned right back around and took it back to the dealership, where it now sits for a fifth (the first time they sent me home without even opening an RO) request to repair this known problem.
    Hello kathlarr,

Welcome to Cadillac Owners! I am sorry to hear of the vehicle concerns you are experiencing with your SRX. I understand how your situation can be disheartening. Please send me a private message that includes your full contact information, VIN, current mileage and dealership name and location. I would like the opportunity to further discuss your situation.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

greyghost04 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, '14 SRX 3.6 AWD

Had the rough idle problem on my 2012 SRX. Had it in for various fixes that did nothing. At around 15k the idle got a lot smoother. So wait it out, it gets better.

paid4c4 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX/AWD Premium

The only problem I have with our 2012 Premium SRX4 is I don't get to drive it enough. I've had a lot of new cars from a variety of manufacturers and the 2012 SRX is without a doubt the best of the bunch. There is room for improvement like an automatic steering wheel adjustment, programable automatic folding mirrors and perhaps an engine option which would include a 3.6 turbo version. I got our SRX in October, 2011 and it just turned 17K, I will probably replace it with a 2015 depending what Cadillac does with the 15 model year.
    Bill

kathlarr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX

Thanks for the encouragement. How many miles do you have on it now?

Tigereye is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Premium

Have had a 2012 SRX for 2 1/2 years - just shy of 47,000 miles on it. Have thoroughly enjoyed driving it around the DFW Metro Area - all speeds. The 3.6L engine actually can make driving it "fun". Best Cadillac I've owned. Have had no major issues. BTW, 20" Latitudes were just changed out last week! Probably "major" complaint is the very poor image quality of the back-up camera. (I'm in the video surveillance industry - affordable high-resolution cameras are out there. Caddy has missed the boat on this so far.) G'luck!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.