Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Sun Roof odor

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  stevec5375 
#1 ·
I Have a 2012 lux, and when I have the sun roof open there is a very strong diesel like odor, and it can be over powering. Has anyone had or heard of this problem. The car was purchased used about a week ago. Any Help would be great.

Thanks

#2 ·
This is a shot in the dark, but maybe there is something clogged in the sunroof drain that is causing the smell. From the info I read about the problems they were having with the sunroof drain coming apart and water draining into the passenger floor area under the glove box, it seems possible that something could have gotten caught in the drain at the top causing that smell. Again this is just a shot in the dark. I can't imagine what else it would be, especially if you only smell it when the sunroof is open.

~Tina~

#3 ·
Hello SRXpsych,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing an odor when your sunroof is open in your SRX. I would suggest taking your vehicle back into your Cadillac dealership so they can look further into this concern. If you need any assistance setting up an appointment, or would like to further discuss this concern, please feel free to private message me or send me an email at socialmedia@gm.com with “ATTN GREG” in the subject line. I look forward to seeing an update from you soon.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#4 ·
I have a similar problem. An odor inside the vehicle began after I noticed puddles of soapy water on the garage floor after having the car washed. It became stronger subsequent to driving in a rain storm for several hours. I believe that the sunroof drains are plugged to the extent that they allow for extremely slow drainage, and probably leaking into certain hidden interior areas. The odor has permiated the interior, and can be slightly noticed outside of the vehicle. To me, it is a mildew odor with chemical overtones........somewhat like to a diesel smell, but not quite.
It will go to the dealer this week. It will be interesting if the odor can be completely removed.
I will report back on the outcome.
SRXpsych, have you had your problem solved?

#6 ·
Hello Kauai 1,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern with your sun roof as well. Have you had a chance to take your vehicle to your dealership to get diagnosed?

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Still working on the issue will try an get it to the dealer sometime this upcoming week, I will update the thread with what happens. I appreciate the suggestions.
Hello SRXpsych,

Thanks for keeping us updated. We will be looking for your future updates, and please let us know if you would like any assistance setting up an appointment with your dealership.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#7 ·
Took the car into the dealer, and had it checked out. The drains were clear, and it would seem that the smell was coming from the lubricant used on the sunroof tracks. the Dealer felt it was used a bit heave
Y handedly so the removed a bit of it, and suggested that the remaining smell would dissipate if the sunroof were to be left open, perhaps while the vehicle is securely parked in our garaged overnight for a few days. The is not as intense so I will leave it open for the next few nights and see what happens.

#9 ·
Hello SRXpsych,

I am glad that the dealership was able to find the source of the smell and that it was just the lubricant in the tracks and nothing stuck in the drains. I will be sure to be on the lookout for your future updates in the next few days to see if the smell has dissipated after the sunroof was left open at night. Thank you very much taking the time to update this thread.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#10 ·
SRXpsych, I believe my problem is different from yours. The lubricant on the tracks on mine has NO smell; did you do the "nose test" on yours? A lubricant used for this purpose should have no odor! Did you or your dealer put additional lube on the rails, over-and-above the factory setup?
The odor in my SRX permiates the entire interior of the vehicle. It will be interesting to see how this problem is remedied by my dealer when I take it in, probably in a week or so. The drains now seem to have opened, as I have not experienced puddles of soapy water on the garage floor after washes recently. But, the smell remains.
Let us know if your problem is solved...............

#11 ·
Kauai 1 said:
SRXpsych, I believe my problem is different from yours. The lubricant on the tracks on mine has NO smell; did you do the "nose test" on yours? A lubricant used for this purpose should have no odor! Did you or your dealer put additional lube on the rails, over-and-above the factory setup? The odor in my SRX permiates the entire interior of the vehicle. It will be interesting to see how this problem is remedied by my dealer when I take it in, probably in a week or so. The drains now seem to have opened, as I have not experienced puddles of soapy water on the garage floor after washes recently. But, the smell remains. Let us know if your problem is solved...............
This is a new vehicle to me. The service records do not show any work being done such as adding more lubricant above and beyond the factory set-up. The dealer that i took it to didn't comment on it being an unusual amount or different from what was to be expected. I did a smell test and the lubricant had only a very slight odor to me. It is rather think thou so it's possible that it may be interacting with some other agent on the tracts. It also possible that the prior owner seldom opened the sunroof and this is completely normal, similar the odor one gets when a car is brand new and not previously driven. I have noticed that the smell has gotten less noticeable with my having left the sunroof open for a few days, but it is still there. I will have them check the drains on each of my upcoming, maintenance appointments.

#13 ·
Hello duke11,

We're happy to hear that you will be reaching out to your dealership about the smell from your sun roof. We would like to look into any service announcements related to this concern prior to your service visit. If this interests you, please message us your VIN and mileage.

Thank you,

Amber N. (assisting Gregory)
Cadillac Customer Care

#14 ·
Hello All,

I just found this forum and registered. I came across this and laughed because I just purchased a 2012 SRX luxury in Dec and my wife complains about the odor when you open the roof. I'm in the glass industry and know a little about the rubber gasket that seals the glass. They apply softeners, conditioners, and lubricants to keep the 500 foot rolls from sticking to themselves. This process does contain chemicals that have "smells" . We in Texas are used to extreme heat and when closed for days and then opened, the heat (sun) has activated the smells. If you wipe your gaskets with armor all or whatever it will help the smells go away. I am not an expert on this and only know what I've stated, but give it a try and see what happens.

Regards,
Robert

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.