Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Creaking in FRONT struts when going over bumps...2010 SRX

20K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  KLX 
#1 ·
I have a 2010 SRX Luxury...with the 3 litre V6...I love the vehicle (believe that the dash, with BUTTONS...is better than the later 2012 and up 'touch screen' controls for most things...It gets the looks and I find that the performance is not as 'bad' as some would claim...You just need to work the transmission and revs a little more than you'd think...Then, it's quick enough.

BUT...I hear a creaking/squeaking in the front suspension when going over bumps...

I took it to the dealer, and they said that there is a DEALER BULLETIN about this...and because I was still under the mechanical warranty, there might be something they could do. I had purchased the extended 3 year warranty, also, but in fine print - STRUTS are not covered!!!

However, after about an hour, the service advisor came back to me with said 'dealer bulletin'...and some figures...telling me that, if I paid $249 plus tax, I could get brand new front struts installed (a $1200 job, normally)...

I was advised that this WOULD cure the squeaking, so I agreed to it...It will be done next week...The vehicle has only 73,000 km...

Does anyone else have experience with this issue?

TORONTO-SRX:

See less See more
#2 ·
Yep, my Blue '10 SRX has squeaked since day one once it goes below -15*c. It's been back to the dealer umpteen times and they still can't sure it for more than a few days. And it has all new everything front suspension components. I mean everything. Last winter the stabalizer bar was the last thing that cured it before it warmed up again, but it squeaks again this winter apparently. Thanks Cadillac.

My '13 is squeak free though!

#3 ·
I have noticed a creaking on the left front of my 2010 as well. But only when it's below 32 degrees. Odd. never in the spring or summer months Now that its winter, creaking is back. I did make mention of it at my last service to have them make note of it. Make run it by them a again.

#6 ·
Yea. I know GM has tested some car in Quebec, but it doesn't get cold there like it does here. We've had almost two straight weeks of -25*C and below (with almost a whole week at -40*). The last two days it finally warmed to -18*.

#8 ·
Hello Rick46032,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing the same concern while it is cold. If you would like any assistance working with the dealership, please feel free to private message me or send me an email to socialmedia@gm.com with “ATTN GREG” in the subject line. I will be sure to be on the lookout for your future updates.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#9 ·
My wife 2010 Premium Turbo AWD had the same issue from day one, whenever the temp. went under about 40Degrees F. The dealer was no help for the first 2 years, they simply put grease on everything and called it good. Finally, during the 3rd winter they finally resolved by replacing all the parts (stabilizer control arms, and strut towers.)

Unfortunately, in the end this cost me a bundle (new MB, ML350) because the wife simply couldn't deal with the vehicle any longer. She is much happier these days, and I'm driving the SRX.

Wild Bill

#10 ·
I've just joined this forum as I'm experiencing the same problems with both the front and back suspension squeaking when going over bumps. I purchased the car in April 2013 with 26,000 Kms & I purchased the extended warranty until 2017.
Anyhow I took it to the dealer & they had the vehicle for days while they ordered in a part ???. I drove it off the lot and the squeaks were still there. The service report said the technician could not replicate the
Squeak.
I'm very disappointed & not sure what to do next. Suggestions are very welcomed & if I can't resolve this I will be forced to sell the SRX turbo.
Thanks in advance

#12 ·
My wife's 2010 AWD Premium Turbo was at the dealers last week. Both struts were seized because of the cold. The service manager left the vehicle in overnight to warm up and now stabilizer bushings are on order, and are to be replaced soon. Did replacing the bushings correct the problem or should I push to get the struts replaced as well as the original warranty is just about up.

Thanks for any insight

#13 ·
I have the same vehicle and problem. The dealership said they hadn't experienced the problem before and lubricated the front end even though it should never need lubricating. I haven't had the problem since, but I'm sure it will return right after the warranty expires!!

#14 ·
Hello mlponte,

Welcome to Cadillac Owners! I am glad to hear your vehicle concern has not returned after your dealership lubricated the front end. If this does occur again, we are more than happy to look into your situation on your behalf, as we look at each customer on a case-by-case basis. We can be reached via private message or by email at socialmedia@gm.com. If you have any other concerns or questions, don't hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

#15 ·
I had both front struts replaced - at GM's cost (and day without my vehicle!)...but the sound is STILL THERE...

I have a suspicion it is the stabilizer bar bushings and was amazed that GM would replace the strut assemblies FIRST without trying the much cheaper and simpler fix of installing the new-style bushings...
THIS is the service bulletin (as most of us will know, by now!)

Front suspension noise over bumps in cold weather

Fix - Replace the stabilizer bar bushing with the new design bushings. The
new bushings will not need to be lubricated with silicon grease.

Bulletin no. 10-03-08-001A

#16 ·
I am having the same issue.. I had new struts put on $1200 (my cost no extra warranty) and it did not take care of the problem.. my squeaking only happens when it is cold outside and going over a bump... I have been reading a lot of comments on this forum and people have been saying it was the front strut mounts...

#17 ·
Was your creaking sound only when going over bumps? My 2010 SRX has started to creak but only when I turn. Another service center looked at it today, said it needed to go to dealer and has multiple issues. Leaky struts, the sunroof jumps slightly off track when a door is closed and the back hatch rattles too. Purchased 7 months ago and only put 3700 miles on it in that time, 34,000 miles total. Taking it to the local dealer tomorrow. We'll see what happens.

#18 ·
I have a 2011 SRX Luxury with 54K miles on it. I am getting heavy creaking and noise over speed bumps and turning the wheel in cold weather. Called the dealer and they said that without even looking they are sure it is the upper front bushings and stabilizer bar mounts. They said that this is a common issue with the SRX and it is standard wear and tear. They quoted a disgusting number to fix it - now I am arguing with the extended warranty company. Fun times. This never happened on my parent's Cadillac.

#19 ·
Hello Wblaze,

I apologize that you are experiencing this concern with your SRX making this noise when you are turning and going over speed bumps. If you would like any assistance in working with your dealership, please feel free to private message me. I would need your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership that you have been working with. Thank you very much for your time, I hope to hear from you soon.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#21 ·
Got my SRX back from the dealer last night, everything fixed under warranty. Seems to be fine now, though this issue seems to be worse in cold weather and it's currently not getting below 40 or so degrees here in Charlotte. No way to really test that aspect but overall I was very pleased with the dealership.

#22 ·
Hello brianbale,

That is great to hear! I am glad that everything was covered under warranty and that your vehicle seems to be operating fine now. Thank you very much for taking the time to keep us updated. Please feel free to private message us or email us at socialmedia@gm.com with “ATTN GREG” in the subject line if you have any future questions or concerns and would like our assistance.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#24 ·
Mines does it with both temperature and turning and going over bumps. It is currently in the shop. First they said it was my stabilizer bar. They fixed that and called me back to say that I need to fix my strut mounts. They were already replaced back in 2011. I love this car but I will never purchase another cadillac again. There have been too many issues with this vehicle.

#25 ·
The SRX is lipstick on a pig. I couldn't agree with you more that the car is easy on the eyes but has cheap component parts that fail frequently. I find it interesting that as of late there have been a LOT of 2010 SRX owners on here posting issues. Many are known problems where first-time owners of the vehicle have traded it in and the subsequent buyers are faced with fixing all kinds of issues that have been known about for years. One has to wonder why the original owner "dumped" it in such condition. But I suppose the buyer should always beware. It begs the question as to why a Cadillac dealership would dump a used car back on the market without addressing known problems. I am in total agreement with you when you say that "I will never purchase another Cadillac again."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.