2013 Both Key Fobs Failede
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, 2013 Both Key Fobs Failede in Cadillac SRX Forums; Kind of an ongoing saga with my new SRX and my Key Fobs. One FOB has a mind of its ...
    MJDART is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium

Unhappy 2013 Both Key Fobs Failede

Kind of an ongoing saga with my new SRX and my Key Fobs. One FOB has a mind of its own, it twice opened my rear hatch into my closed garage door givng two nice deep paint scars on the middle bottom tip of the hatch. Also I would walk away from the vehicle the doors would lock as I had programmed, but then the rear hatch would partially open and stop. Once I was in store and when I came out after shopping, I see my vehicle with the hatch open, guess I was lucky no bad people noticed. I took that Fob out of service, left it home with the battery out of it.

Now to my latest adventure, came out of work after a 14 hr day. Folded up my car cover that I leave on my SRX while parked outside at work and reached under hatch to open it with push button. The rear tail lights just blinked at me and hatch didn't open. I set down the cover and walked to the drivers door.......no unlockie! Oh..Oh, pulled the key from the bottom of the FOB and unlocked the door........the Vehicle Alarm now goes off !!!

Relock the door and sit down to collect my wits. Pull out my iPhone and bring up my On-Star App. Log In and select Un-Lock Vehicle, it asks for my PIN which due to my stress I forget, (note to self, add to secure Password File I keep in phone). I call wife she opens my password file and gives me the pin. I Un-Lock Doors, START the Engine and get in. Not out of woods however as vehicle can not be taken out of PARK when started this way. I push the OnStar Button on Mirror, doesn't work as vehicle accesories are also locked out with this method of starting the vehicle. My cell phone battery is low after 14 hr day so with remaining battery life I call OnStar.

The OnStar representative calms me down gets my info and contacts Cadillac Service for me. The Cadillac Service Rep woman is also very calming and eager to help. She asks if I want to try something before she dispatches the the service vehicle. I respond, YES, I'll try anything. She tells me to put my key fob in the tray bottom side down, I repond where's the tray? She says on the console. I see the little chevron shaped indentation (used for smokers package) I stick my cell phone in, but I quickly realize that no matter how I angle the key fob, it doesn't fit in, button side down. She starts looking in my on-line owners manual to better direct me. I look in my upper arm rest storage console after emptying the contents on the front seat-nothing, next onto the large console storage area, empty "stuff on front seat. Ah.ha an indentation the FOB fits into in the bottom front right corner. I lay it in buttons down as instructed. The Cadillac Service lady says she'll count down the 30 seconds that is needed for the vehicle to "talk" electronically to the FOB. She then instructs to depress brake pedal as is done normally and push the Start Button.............Yesss, it starts and shifts out of park, all controls come to life. Thank You OnStar and Cadillac Service!!!!

My wife dropped the FOB less SRX off for me at the dealer the next afternoon after setting the doors not to lock and leaving the FOB button down in the console. The Service Representative at the Ed Morse Cadillac Dealership did acknowledge that one other guy did bring his SRX in for the same problem. They gave me a black 2014 SRX to drive during my service visit and they will also change the engine oil even though they prefer 20% oil life or less and mine had 27% after 5600 miles.

I will post again after the dealer finishes restoring my SRX to a servicable condition. All in all its been a great vehicle so far and I'm very hopeful they'll correct this bizzare defect.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: 2013 Both Key Fobs Failede

Quote Originally Posted by MJDART View Post
    Kind of an ongoing saga with my new SRX and my Key Fobs. One FOB has a mind of its own, it twice opened my rear hatch into my closed garage door givng two nice deep paint scars on the middle bottom tip of the hatch. Also I would walk away from the vehicle the doors would lock as I had programmed, but then the rear hatch would partially open and stop. Once I was in store and when I came out after shopping, I see my vehicle with the hatch open, guess I was lucky no bad people noticed. I took that Fob out of service, left it home with the battery out of it.

Now to my latest adventure, came out of work after a 14 hr day. Folded up my car cover that I leave on my SRX while parked outside at work and reached under hatch to open it with push button. The rear tail lights just blinked at me and hatch didn't open. I set down the cover and walked to the drivers door.......no unlockie! Oh..Oh, pulled the key from the bottom of the FOB and unlocked the door........the Vehicle Alarm now goes off !!!

Relock the door and sit down to collect my wits. Pull out my iPhone and bring up my On-Star App. Log In and select Un-Lock Vehicle, it asks for my PIN which due to my stress I forget, (note to self, add to secure Password File I keep in phone). I call wife she opens my password file and gives me the pin. I Un-Lock Doors, START the Engine and get in. Not out of woods however as vehicle can not be taken out of PARK when started this way. I push the OnStar Button on Mirror, doesn't work as vehicle accesories are also locked out with this method of starting the vehicle. My cell phone battery is low after 14 hr day so with remaining battery life I call OnStar.

The OnStar representative calms me down gets my info and contacts Cadillac Service for me. The Cadillac Service Rep woman is also very calming and eager to help. She asks if I want to try something before she dispatches the the service vehicle. I respond, YES, I'll try anything. She tells me to put my key fob in the tray bottom side down, I repond where's the tray? She says on the console. I see the little chevron shaped indentation (used for smokers package) I stick my cell phone in, but I quickly realize that no matter how I angle the key fob, it doesn't fit in, button side down. She starts looking in my on-line owners manual to better direct me. I look in my upper arm rest storage console after emptying the contents on the front seat-nothing, next onto the large console storage area, empty "stuff on front seat. Ah.ha an indentation the FOB fits into in the bottom front right corner. I lay it in buttons down as instructed. The Cadillac Service lady says she'll count down the 30 seconds that is needed for the vehicle to "talk" electronically to the FOB. She then instructs to depress brake pedal as is done normally and push the Start Button.............Yesss, it starts and shifts out of park, all controls come to life. Thank You OnStar and Cadillac Service!!!!

My wife dropped the FOB less SRX off for me at the dealer the next afternoon after setting the doors not to lock and leaving the FOB button down in the console. The Service Representative at the Ed Morse Cadillac Dealership did acknowledge that one other guy did bring his SRX in for the same problem. They gave me a black 2014 SRX to drive during my service visit and they will also change the engine oil even though they prefer 20% oil life or less and mine had 27% after 5600 miles.

I will post again after the dealer finishes restoring my SRX to a servicable condition. All in all its been a great vehicle so far and I'm very hopeful they'll correct this bizzare defect.
    Hello MDART,

I apologize that you are experiencing this issue with your SRX’s key fobs. I am glad to hear that our Customer Care team was able to assist you over the phone as well as the OnStar agent. Please keep us updated as to how the service appointment goes. We will be on the lookout for your future updates!

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

retcad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

I received 2 fobs when I purchased. After about six months, my DIC gave me the replace battery message. So now I use the 2nd fob and no longer get the message. When that battery dies, I will definitely get the message. Ya know, boomers and SRXs and retirement all have issues.

But when I see that baby in the driveway.............

let's go for a ride!

MJDART is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium

OK, here's the service update:

Picked up my 3013 SRX Premium from the dealer after the issues were resolved. As I pulled up in my loaner, a 2014 SRX in black on black. I spotted my SRX indoors, washed perfectly, fresh coat of tire dressing gleeming in the light. One of the service advisors came over, grabbed the loaners key fobs and told me he would check the black SRX back in with Enterprise, who provides the loaners. I walked over to the cashiers window and she wisked my paperwork across the sill for my signature, handed me a new pair of key fobs and I was done.

I walked back out and I was greeted by Todd my Service Advisor, who has previously handled my very "infrequent visits" to the dealer with my '06 CTS. He went on to tell me what they did.

They replaced both remotes and tested them. He also provided me with a PI 1018 which provides information on Poor, Limited, Reduced Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) or Remote Vehicle Start (RVS) Range dated July 16, 2013. (see photo below). He has seen this issue before and provided tips on how to avoid it. He described how much of the vehicles control electronics are situated under the console. Keeping live electronics like Cell Phones, iPod type devices and leaving Cigarette Lighter Type USB charging adapters plugged in at all times has been found to interfer with the Vehicles electronics. Also High Voltage uitility wires overhead might also contribute. I occasionally park by a line carrying 138,000 Volts which might have effected me on my no start day, who knows.

The dealer also changed my engine oil and filter, rotated the tires and set the tires to the recommended pressures. I also had scratches on the passenger side front windshield that were pressent when I bought the SRX, which I hadn't noticed until I got it home the first night of ownership. The dealer brought in a glass shop technician who was able to polish the scratches out - very pleased.

I spend about 15 minutes talking with Todd and realized a Service Advisor is a good source of information to utilize when you are thinking of purchasing a vehicle, who better knows the problems and issues as well as virtues of all the vehicles he deals with. Todd told me the '13 & '14 SRXs have been very good so far in his experiences. My wife has had her eye on my SRX ever since I brought it home, so who knows, maybe a new ATS Premium with a 2.0L Turbo (Todd recommended) may join the SRX in the garage someday.

As you can see in the background the High Voltage Transmission Wiring surrounding the SRX, I was told the dealer has noticed how well I take care of my vehicles, that's why I got the indoor parking spot for my service visit, as you can see in photo the SRX gets protected from harsh sunlight, dust and rain while at my work place.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

This story is also a good reminder for anyone who has no clue where or what to do when the battery dies in their fob to go over the steps to getting your vehicle running.
    It's all in the manual as well.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.