!!Rear hatch almost crushes my son!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, !!Rear hatch almost crushes my son!! in Cadillac SRX Forums; I have a 2010 SRX with a rear hatch problem. When I want to open it it goes up all ...
    aztech is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

!!Rear hatch almost crushes my son!!

I have a 2010 SRX with a rear hatch problem. When I want to open it it goes up all the way and automatically closes. It is very dangerous and almost CRUSHED my son trying to take out some things from the rear hatch!

I took it to the dealer to find that it is not covered under the certified pre-owned warranty. How is this repair not covered by the CPO? This is not a normal wear and tear item especially with the frequency of use. The vehicle is close to four years old when you look at the original purchase date.

Can someone please explain this to me?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

2007-CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS High Feature, 07 Escalade Lux. 10 SRX-Sold

Re: !!Rear hatch almost crushes my son!!

Quote Originally Posted by aztech View Post
    it goes up all the way and automatically closes. It is very dangerous and almost CRUSHED my son trying to take out some things from the rear hatch!
    Considering the possible legal consequences to GM from an injury I am surprised they just didn't fix it regardless of the warranty.

I can't answer your original question but it seems to me that if you contact dealership management and explain the details they would probably fix it without charge. If not you should get the names of the people you spoke to and contact Cadillac Customer relations. I sure they will have something to say about the situation.

Well thankfully he is 15 and was strong enough to push back on it and get out from under it. When he told me what happened I went outside to investigate and saw how would open and immediately shut. I don't believe they have any kind of safety to reopen if it closes on a child or pet. I was really dumbfounded at the fact that it was not covered by the CPO. I would never conclude that a hatch strut is a wear and tear type of item.

I also took the vehicle in for a engine sputtering problem which they explained can be solved with a throttle body/injector cleaning that I am more than happy to pay for but the hatch strut?.....?

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Welcome to the new Corporatacracy that is America. People have allowed their protections to be dismantled.

I also took the vehicle in for a engine sputtering problem which they explained can be solved with a throttle body/injector cleaning....
    Not to change the subject but on this I can help, get yourself a can of Seafoam additive, pour it into a full tank of fuel, by the time the tank is empty your sputting will be gone. Had the same problem on my CTS. Now I use it once every time I change the oil on both caddys. The stuff really works and you can save some coin.

My father had mentioned using a fuel injector cleaner but I wanted to take it in for service to see if it could be something else.

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Review the link below. There must be at least six different TSBs for the rear liftgate. This is proof of "known" issues with this liftgate. Sometimes they mysteriously open on their own. Sometimes they close on their own. Sometimes they refuse to do either. Because of this, I always switch the button on the driver's door to "Off" whenever it's in the garage.

Since the car is "almost" four years old, I'm assuming it must be out of (original factory) warranty due to mileage. Is this correct?

I would deal with GM (not the dealership) directly. Due to the safety concerns and potential bad publicity, I would think GM would be racing to your house to fix this.

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...7&AbSystem=a88

Sube

----------

Looks like this could be the culprit......low hydraulic fluid in the liftgate system. This is the only TSB I saw that covers the liftgate "reversing" on its own. Also, just for future reference, the liftgate does have an obstacle detection system that reverses when it strikes an object. However, I know this is not the case in your situation. It doesn't work very well with soft objects, like a human being. Seems like it was made more for 2 x 4s than actual people.

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=161750

Sube

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

I have a 2010 SRX with a rear hatch problem. When I want to open it it goes up all the way and automatically closes. It is very dangerous and almost CRUSHED my son trying to take out some things from the rear hatch!

I took it to the dealer to find that it is not covered under the certified pre-owned warranty. How is this repair not covered by the CPO? This is not a normal wear and tear item especially with the frequency of use. The vehicle is close to four years old when you look at the original purchase date.

Can someone please explain this to me?
    Hello aztech,

I apologize that the dealership told you that the rear hatch would not be covered under your CPO warranty. I would definitely like to look into this situation on your behalf and do some further research into this for you. Could you private message me or send me an email to socialmedia@gm.com with the subject line as “ATTN GREG”? I would need your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership you are working with. I hope to hear from you soon.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    Since the car is "almost" four years old, I'm assuming it must be out of (original factory) warranty due to mileage. Is this correct?
    It's out of the bumper to bumper warranty with 55,000 miles but I purchased it certified pre-owned which runs out at end of 2015 or 100,000 miles.

I would deal with GM (not the dealership) directly. Due to the safety concerns and potential bad publicity, I would think GM would be racing to your house to fix this.
    Yeah I think I will try that when I get out of work.

Looks like this could be the culprit......low hydraulic fluid in the liftgate system. This is the only TSB I saw that covers the liftgate "reversing" on its own. Also, just for future reference, the liftgate does have an obstacle detection system that reverses when it strikes an object. However, I know this is not the case in your situation. It doesn't work very well with soft objects, like a human being. Seems like it was made more for 2 x 4s than actual people.

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=161750

Sube
    Tell me about it my son said it hit him in the back and kept going down so he pushed back on it and had to drop to his knees quickly because it would not stop going down after he pushed back on it. Really scared the **** out of me I think he could really have gotten hurt if not for his quickness. Had it been one of my younger nephews I do not think it would have stopped or get out from under it.....REALLY DANGEROUS. If it was designed around stopping for 2 x 4's we need to remember that lumber doesn't need to breath.

Am I correct in assuming only one side has the powered actuator and the other side just has a support strut?

Looks like Cadillac Customer Care is getting involved (not surprised considering the issue) I would bet money your dealership is going to get a talking to and your issue resolved.

Your assumptions are correct, the left side is the actual powered acturator and the right side is a support strut. If the liftgate is closing, (as previously mentioned) it is suppost to stop and reverse directions remaining open, if it encounters something that prevents its closure.

I verified this operation does in fact work, (at least on my 2010). The liftgate does apply a good amount of force before reversing but I doubt it could cause serious injury to a person (unless they were very old and fragile)

MJDART is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium

See my post today 11/20/13 for similar issues

zwiefela is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX

I once stuck my leg in the hatch as it was closing to show-off the safety reversal to my wife. It reached my leg, applied a light pressure to it, and immediately opened again. When working properly, it won't cause injury. If you really think yours takes a 2x4 to stop it, you ought to consider getting it checked out.
    allgm and TheCaptain like this.

When I checked it after my son told me what happened....I would not place my leg in there! The engineer in me is going to design and run a test to know the outcome.

I just got it back from the dealer....Replaced right side strut $98.07. Not a big expense at all when safety is concerned....still don't understand why the CPO doesn't cover it.

Waiting to hear back from Cadillac Customer Care.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

I closed my hatch on myself to test what pressure it took. It took a fair amount of pressure (on the brink of being too much to not hurt a small child), before it backed off and came back up.

If yours 'almost crushes' your 15 year old son, there is something wrong with it.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

crump13 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Performance Black Raven/Ebony w/Ebony
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    I closed my hatch on myself to test what pressure it took. It took a fair amount of pressure (on the brink of being too much to not hurt a small child), before it backed off and came back up.

If yours 'almost crushes' your 15 year old son, there is something wrong with it.

I tested my hatch last night to see how much pressure/resistance it needed before backing off and going back up and I was quite surprised how much resistance it needed. I used my hands at about shoulder level to stop it from closing and it got to a point at which I didnt think it was going to reverse. There was ALOT of pressure it applies and then finally it reversed. I did it a second time and applied resistence at a lower level in the travel trying to simulate a small child and there was so much pressure I just moved my hands and let it go down, it never reversed to go back up. Not sure if my lift gate is malfunctioning or if it is designed this way but I do not trust it to not injure a child if it closes on one especially a smaller child.

~Tina~

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.