Trailer Hitch Install
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Trailer Hitch Install in Cadillac SRX Forums; When I decided to purchase the SRX one of the options I wanted was a trailer hitch. Since I was ...
    crump13 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Performance Black Raven/Ebony w/Ebony

Trailer Hitch Install

When I decided to purchase the SRX one of the options I wanted was a trailer hitch. Since I was looking specifically for a 2013 model to take advantage of the $4000 incentives that was good only until Oct 31st there was limited inventory to choose from and my dealer wasn’t able to find a vehicle with all my options so the closest they found was one without a hitch but had all the other options I requested, so I figure I would just get a hitch installed by Uhaul.

Well, I went to the uhaul website to get the cost of the hitch and install and here is the breakdown:

Class 3 hitch - $149.95
    Hitch install - $40
    Wiring harness - $39.95
    Wiring harness install - $80
    Tax and total - $320.90 (this includes a $10 online scheduling discount)

I was pretty much set on going to uhaul for the purchase and install until I joined this forum and searched on hitch/trailering and read how to install a hitch and wiring harness and saw how straight forward it was and figured I would just do it myself and save the difference.

Here is the list of items I purchased:

Curt class 3 hitch (13002) - $119.87 purchased from ebay with free shipping
    Wiring Harness (56096) - $9.43 purchased from etrailer.com
    No drill mount bracket short (18140) - $8.49 purchased from etrailer.com
    Mounting Bracket 4 pole flat (18144) - $3.59 purchased from etrailer.com
    Shipping cost from etrailer.com - $4.99

So my total cost was $146.37 with a savings of $174.53.

Trailer hitch closeout (19172271) - $70.00 purchased from shopchevyparts.com and this item would need to be purchased no matter if I had uhaul install the hitch or I did it myself so I did not include it in the cost of the hitch when calculating my savings.

A little about the install….first thing I did was look at the hitch install video on etrailer.com website for the Curt hitch for the SRX. It is a good video and walked me through the entire process from start to finish. After I got the OEM plastic hitch cover off, the next thing I did was find the wiring for the trailer plug. My model was already prewired for trailering and all I needed to do was removed the dust cover from the wiring and plug the 4 pole wiring harness I purchased from etrailer.com in. This took me all of 10 seconds to do if that and uhaul wiring install charge was $80….this just baffles me…something that is a simple plug and play and uhual is charging more to install the wiring harness then the hitch itself and that was the more complicated item to install.

Ok, now to the actual install of the hitch…that wasn’t as easy as I had originally figured and that is mainly due to the fact that I was doing this install by myself. After I plugged in the wiring harness I took the hitch and fit it up in the spot where it goes and while holding hitch in place with one hand while laying on my back under the car, I tried to get one of the two bolts in on the right side. It took some effort balancing the hitch with one hand and using the other to get one of the bolts in but I was able to get it done. Now that I had one bolt in on the right side I wanted to get one bolt in on the left side and then I would work on the other bolts and have both hands to work with. Sounds easy enough right…well it would if the hitch would fit up into place like it should. I read somewhere that some of the Curt hitches need a little adjusting to fit properly and the adjustment comes in the form of a mallet. I realized that the bracket on the left side needed to be bent in a little to fit up in the space properly so I could bolt it in. I then removed the one bolt I had in, removed the hitch and took a little mallet therapy out on the hitch and with a few good swift hits on the left side bracket on the hitch I was able to fit the hitch in place where the bolt holes lined up and I was then able to get all 6 of the bolts (two on each side hitch and two in the center where the receiver is located) securely fastened. Once that was done I installed the no drill bracket to mount the wiring harness so it is not dangling or just zip tied in (gives it a more finished look) and then put on the new plastic hitch cover that hides the hitch when not in use and all was well.

Overall, I would recommend having someone help you if you are planning on installing your own hitch as the second set of hands is helpful with this installation.

~Tina~
    sube5186 and Maxplot like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Re: Trailer Hitch Install

LOL! I was just about to send you the link to the eTrailer video, when I noticed you'd already viewed it. Great job with the research! That's the same video I used when I installed mine. You're right about the second set of hands. I could have used them as well. I bought the fascia cover too, but I never bothered using it. It looks better than I expected once I put on the below hitch tube cover.

http://www.amazon.com/Manufacturing-...er+hitch+cover

Sube
    crump13 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    LOL! I was just about to send you the link to the eTrailer video, when I noticed you'd already viewed it. Great job with the research! That's the same video I used when I installed mine. You're right about the second set of hands. I could have used them as well. I bought the fascia cover too, but I never bothered using it. It looks better than I expected once I put on the below hitch tube cover.

http://www.amazon.com/Manufacturing-...er+hitch+cover

Sube
    I watched that video before I decided to do the hitch install on my own and that video helped me realize that this install was pretty straight forward and there was no need to pay Uhaul to do this install. I like that hitch cover you found on amazon. I was debating on getting a hitch cover in lieu of paying for the hitch closeout fascia. I was going to notch out my OEM fascia piece and use a hitch cover like you listed and figured that would give it a clean look but I didn't come across a hitch cover I liked so I just broke down and purchased the hitch closeout fascia.

~Tina~

dmurphy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '13 Evolution Green Luxury SRX (Shale/Brownstone Interior)

A quick question about towing with the SRX ... is there a transmission cooler already installed in a non-towing package SRX?

I see some dealerships are selling an aux trans cooler kit, but labeled for the 3.0l engine. Do I need one for the 3.6l in the '13 Luxury I have?

If I install a Curt hitch & the wiring harness (I've already got the factory harness tucked under the bumper), what's my towing limit? Is it the full 3500lbs?

Quote Originally Posted by dmurphy View Post
    A quick question about towing with the SRX ... is there a transmission cooler already installed in a non-towing package SRX?

I see some dealerships are selling an aux trans cooler kit, but labeled for the 3.0l engine. Do I need one for the 3.6l in the '13 Luxury I have?

If I install a Curt hitch & the wiring harness (I've already got the factory harness tucked under the bumper), what's my towing limit? Is it the full 3500lbs?
    My salesman said (take this with a grain of salt) that unless i had the trailering provision package (not just the towing package which just gives you the hitch and wiring harness) my 2013 Performance model does not have the transmission cooler installed and it most likely wouldn't be needed it for occasional trailering as long as I stayed within the trailering limits outlined in the owner's manual that I have listed below. I will follow the first vehicle description below which that describes my current model and since it is in the manual I will follow it.

Below is the info from the owner's manual on page 9-69:

Use the following chart to determine how much the vehicle can weigh, based upon the vehicle model and options.

Vehicle
    3.6L Engine, FWD without Trailering Package

Maximum Trailer Weight
    1134 kg (2,500 lbs)

GCWR*
    3 185 kg (7,022 lbs)

Maximum Tongue Weight
    113 kg (250 lbs)

Vehicle
    3.6L Engine, FWD with Trailering Package

Maximum Trailer Weight
    1 588 kg (3,500 lbs)

GCWR*
    3 640 kg (8,025 lbs)

Maximum Tongue Weight
    159 kg (350 lbs)

Vehicle
    3.6L Engine, AWD without Trailering Package

Maximum Trailer Weight
    1134 kg (2,500 lbs)

GCWR*
    3 270 kg (7,209 lbs)

Maximum Tongue Weight
    113 kg (250 lbs)

Vehicle
    3.6L Engine, AWD with Trailering Package

Maximum Trailer Weight
    1 588 kg (3,500 lbs)

GCWR*
    3 725 kg (8,212 lbs)

Maximum Tongue Weight
    159 kg (350 lbs)

*The Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) is the total allowable weight of the completely loaded vehicle and trailer including any passengers, cargo, equipment and conversions. The GCWR for the vehicle should not be exceeded.

~Tina~

phunter1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury

The trans cooler for the 3.0 and 3.6 are the same. I installed one on my 2012 when I added the hitch, since I occasionally tow more than 2500 lbs and didn't want to risk damage to the transmission. To install the cooler the front fascia need to be removed. At the same time I installed the trans cooler, I upgraded the headlights, since the fascia was off.

Phil

----------

2007-CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS High Feature, 07 Escalade Lux. 10 SRX-Sold

I very much agree with the the previous post. Transmission temperatures can skyrocket in hot environments even WITHOUT towing. Heat is probably the #1 enemy of your automatic transmission and the standard trans cooling is not all that great to begin with. I dont plan on using the SRX to tow (I have a Tahoe for that) but I put in the aux cooler because I regularly use the SRX for long road trips.

I did some testing to see if my efforts were worth it. Using a temperature sensor I can tell you there is a 30 degree temp difference by using the aux cooler. I can just imagine how much help it would help to keep your tranny cooler in a towing situation.

georule is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury AWD Silver Coast Metallic

It wasn't clear to me upstream. Does the usual $445 "TRAILERING EQUIPMENT" factory option (price and verbiage right off my window sticker from my 2013 Luxury AWD) include a transmission cooler or not?

Quote Originally Posted by georule View Post
    It wasn't clear to me upstream. Does the usual $445 "TRAILERING EQUIPMENT" factory option (price and verbiage right off my window sticker from my 2013 Luxury AWD) include a transmission cooler or not?
    When I was talking to my salesman (again take this with a grain of salt) he stated that the $445 trailing package is only the hitch and wiring harness. At one point I saw a more expensive trailer package that specifically talked about the transmission cooler which is how I knew to ask my salesman the question if I needed that or not as I would have had no clue to ask the question. I can't find it when I go to build my car where I saw it before. But when I go to the owner's section of Cadillac and look at the towing accessories there they list two separate trailering packages. One that includes only the hitch, wiring harness and closeout fascia and it is called Hitch Trailering Package. The other one includes only the transmission cooler and that is called Hitch Trailering Package - Transmission Cooler. Not sure if this info has helped or confused the question even more as even with this info not sure if the "trailering package" option exactly as stated would have the transmission cooler....my guess is that it doesn't.

~Tina~

2007-CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS High Feature, 07 Escalade Lux. 10 SRX-Sold

The salesman should be able to provide you the option codes that make up the option, not totally sure but I believe the RPO codes are TPK and V92, one is the hitch/wiring, the other is the external trans cooler.

If you have a transmission cooler you should be able to see it through the grill; not the lower grill, the regular grill. Mine is silver since it was not installed at the factory. Not sure if the factory installed one is painted black or not. I have attached a couple of, not very good pics, shot through the grill so you can get an idea of what it looks like.

Phil
    Attached Images

dmurphy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '13 Evolution Green Luxury SRX (Shale/Brownstone Interior)

Quote Originally Posted by 2007-CTS View Post
    The salesman should be able to provide you the option codes that make up the option, not totally sure but I believe the RPO codes are TPK and V92, one is the hitch/wiring, the other is the external trans cooler.
    Interesting ... V92 is the RPO code for the 'trailer wiring enabled' fuse block for my wife's '08 GMC Acadia. I'd almost rather put the hitch on her Acadia than the SRX but it's a lot more work since I'd have to swap the fuse block, run a harness, etc. The SRX is plug-n-play.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by georule View Post
    it's included

one of the reasons for the 1000 lb increase in the tow rating is with GM factory tow pkgs you get a better engine, oil and transmission cooling, with the hitch.

pretty much a good idea to get the pkg even if you don't tow

Maxplot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium ATS 3.6 - Crystal Red, 2013 SRX Platinum Ice

I started to install my Curt hitch on my new 2013 SRX last night but ran into problems.

I too ordered the Curt class 3 hitch (13002) - $119.87 purchased from ebay with free shipping. The hitch came very fast via UPS which was surprising.

I too watched the eTrailer.com install video and thought this would be a piece of cake. Taking the lower trim pieces off the rear of the SRX in order to install the hitch was very straight forward. Now here is where I am having trouble... Getting the hitch to fit where all the bolts will fit. Either the Curt hitch is misaligned or the SRX frame is misaligned, or both because I can only get 3 of the bolts to hand screw in. I believe the driver side of the hitch needs some sledge hammer therapy as Tina would put it.

I gave up last night after spending over an hour of what could easily been 30 minutes if the hitch holes aligned with the frame holes. So I am about to go out now an unbolt and remove the hitch and whack on it a while and see what happens. (My wife thinks I am crazy, wait until I wake her up with the sound of sledge hammer on 1/4 inch steel.)

Interesting. I have the exact same hitch (Curt 13002), which I also purchased from eTrailer and it bolted right up. Took less than 1/2 hour to install.Hope the hammer works.

Phil

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.