25% less Power until ??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By allgm
  • 1 Post By njacobsen
  • 2 Post By crump13
  • 1 Post By TheCaptain
  • 1 Post By SC2150
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, 25% less Power until ?? in Cadillac SRX Forums; When I was test driving a 2013 SRX the sale man stated that the car is running at 25% less ...
    crump13 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Performance Black Raven/Ebony w/Ebony

25% less Power until ??

When I was test driving a 2013 SRX the sale man stated that the car is running at 25% less power until it is broken in at 300 or 500 miles (or something like that, I can't remember the exact mileage). He said the computer in the car will automatically adjust to 100% power on it's own.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I can't seem to find that in the owner's manual. I have read the manual but it is detailed so I could have missed it somewhere. I would like to know about when my car is running at 100%. I just turned over 500 miles now. Not that I plan on hot roding it. I still plan on breaking it in as I have been but I was wondering if anyone else heard of this built in power adjustment.

~Tina~

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

allgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX FWD Gray Flannel / Ebony Premium 3.0 Chrome Techs

Re: 25% less Power until ??

Never heard of that . I think after a couple thousand miles it will lossen up a bit and give better gas milage. But not 77 more HP.
    crump13 likes this.

njacobsen is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX AWD Premium, Xenon Blue, 20" Chrome

As allgm said, the SRX gas mileage will gradually improve over the first couple of thousand miles, but that is normal break-in that all vehicles exhibit as engine rings seat and the entire drive train including bearings and gears mesh and align with one another.

Less power restricted by the computer for the first couple of hundred miles...why would the salesman say that? Did you make a comment that he felt compelled to give you an answer?
    crump13 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by allgm View Post
    Never heard of that . I think after a couple thousand miles it will lossen up a bit and give better gas milage. But not 77 more HP.
    I was wondering that myself. I figured the gas mileage would increase as the car is broken in but 25% power is a lot to hold back especially when people are test driving the car to feel the power. I'll have to ask about that when I go back to the dealer again.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by njacobsen View Post
    As allgm said, the SRX gas mileage will gradually improve over the first couple of thousand miles, but that is normal break-in that all vehicles exhibit as engine rings seat and the entire drive train including bearings and gears mesh and align with one another.

Less power restricted by the computer for the first couple of hundred miles...why would the salesman say that. Did you make a comment that he was trying to talk his way around something?
    No I didn't say anything about the power. I was actually saying how nice and smooth the car felt and he came out and made that comment. He is a young salesman so he probably is mistaken. Not trying to say young guys are wrong (so no one take any offense to that)and when I say young he was probably in his mid 20s and most of the other salesman at that dealer ship are older and more... should I say distinguished. (and for all those distinguished men on this forum... there is nothing wrong with that either) :-)

Yes... I am trying to keep myself out of a hole i might be digging...

~Tina~
    allgm and njacobsen like this.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 13 SRX AWD 3.6L Premium - Platinum Ice Metallic

No, the car doesn't reduce horsepower in any condition.

*Unless you engine goes into 'Limp Home Mode' (critical failure mode designed to protect the engine but get you 'home'/ less then 30k/ 15 miles).
    crump13 likes this.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Thanks, I figured it didn't but found it interesting he felt the need to say that. I'm wondering if he actually thinks that or if he was just doing the typical car salesman stuff. I plan on asking about it when I go back to the dealership next time to see what he says.

~Tina~

georule is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury AWD Silver Coast Metallic

New Vehicle Break-In
    Notice: The vehicle does not
    need an elaborate break-in. But it
    will perform better in the long run
    if you follow these guidelines:
    . Do not drive at any one
    constant speed, fast or slow,
    for the first 805 km (500 mi).
    Do not make full-throttle
    starts. Avoid downshifting to
    brake or slow the vehicle.
    . During the first 1 000 km
    (600 mi), avoid using more
    than moderate acceleration
    in lower gears and avoid
    vehicle speeds above
    110 km/h (68 mph).
    Between the first 1 000 km
    (600 mi) and 5 000 km
    (3,000 mi), heavy
    acceleration in lower gears
    can be used. Vehicle speeds
    above 110 km/h (68 mph)
    should be limited to
    five minutes per use.
    . Avoid making hard stops for
    the first 322 km (200 mi) or
    so. During this time the new
    brake linings are not yet
    broken in. Hard stops with
    new linings can mean
    premature wear and earlier
    replacement. Follow this
    breaking-in guideline every
    time you get new brake
    linings.
    . Do not tow a trailer during
    break-in. See Driving
    Characteristics and Towing
    Tips on page 9‑65 for the
    trailer towing capabilities of
    your vehicle and more
    information.
    Following break‐in, engine speed
    and load can be gradually
    increased.
    That's the owner's manual, 9-14 and 9-15. Would they really get that detailed in instructions and neglect to mention this 25% hp limiter? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by georule View Post

That's the owner's manual, 9-14 and 9-15. Would they really get that detailed in instructions and neglect to mention this 25% hp limiter? I don't think so.
    I did find the break in section in the manual and found it interesting it didnt say anything about the reduced power during the first few hundred miles.

I went to the dealership today for a car wash and my salesman wasnt there. I wanted to ask him in front of the other salesmen to see what he would say and how he would react. When I see him next I will ask about it.

~Tina~

greyghost04 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, '12 SRX 3.6 AWD

That's ridiculous. Your mileage will top out at ~19mpg

NotMine is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux, with several upgrades

This statement brings to mind the "Eco" button. The Owners Manual is NOT very explicit in how or when to use it. So, the question is, "What does it do" and "When is it used"??

I ask, because on a recent cross country trip I used the Eco button for a little over half the trip, and disengaged it for the remaining trip, essentially on the same roads that was use in the other direction (with Eco). Driving at the same speeds and using almost all the same gas stations I recognized almost 3 MPG more WITHOUT the use of the Eco mode.

Highway mileage for the eastbound trip with ECO .......25.2 indicated. Highway mileage without the Eco button.......28.1 indicated.

Also, MAYBE the ECO button reduces HP by changing timing, fuel tables, etc.??????

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 13 SRX AWD 3.6L Premium - Platinum Ice Metallic

Eco is primarily used for in town driving. It attempts to shift early to keep the engine below 3000 rpm, and it decouples the torque converter early when decelerating in order to coast more then using engine braking.
    Eco on the highway is almost useless. (In the SRX)
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

NotMine is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux, with several upgrades

Thank you, Captain !!

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    No, the car doesn't reduce horsepower in any condition.

*Unless you engine goes into 'Limp Home Mode' (critical failure mode designed to protect the engine but get you 'home'/ less then 30k/ 15 miles).
    Correct! And, the ring seating/break-in period 90% is completed (if it is going to ever be) in the first 100-200 miles. By 500 miles the cross hatch on the cylinder walls has glazed over and there is little to no more seating taking place afterwards. The sales people sometimes say whatever to make the potential buyer think they know what they are talking about, but I have never met one that does when it comes to the engineering side of a vehicle.

----------

I'm impressed Captain! You have your facts correct on what I have seen you post.
    TheCaptain likes this.
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.