Fuel Fill Problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Fuel Fill Problem in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hi, I think I read of this somewhere else on hear but thought I would bring it to the board ...
    westham is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury

Fuel Fill Problem

Hi,
    I think I read of this somewhere else on hear but thought I would bring it to the board to see if anyone has suggestions.
    Since I purchased my 2010 Luxury I have had a very tough time getting fuel into the tank, I've been to several gas stations
    and have had the same problem with the fuel pump handle clicking off as soon as the fuel begins to flow, I end up twisting the handle as far to the left as it will go and holding the trigger, this way also has pressure build up which stops the pump 4 or 5 times during the fill up. Very frustrating.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kpann is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    This has to do with the fact that the pressure builds up in your gas tank and is not releasing. I just did some work on the Vapor Canister which works with vent solenoid and purge solenoid. That might point you in the right direction. Is your Check Engine Light on?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: Fuel Fill Problem

Quote Originally Posted by westham View Post
    Hi,
    I think I read of this somewhere else on hear but thought I would bring it to the board to see if anyone has suggestions.
    Since I purchased my 2010 Luxury I have had a very tough time getting fuel into the tank, I've been to several gas stations
    and have had the same problem with the fuel pump handle clicking off as soon as the fuel begins to flow, I end up twisting the handle as far to the left as it will go and holding the trigger, this way also has pressure build up which stops the pump 4 or 5 times during the fill up. Very frustrating.
    Hello westham,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your SRX’s fuel tank when you are trying to fill it up. Have you brought up this concern to your service department at your Cadillac dealership? If not, I would be more than happy to assist you in setting up an appointment and working with the dealership. Please feel free to private message me if you would like my assistance. I hope to hear from you soon.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

'12CTSman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 SRX AWD Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by westham
    Hi, I think I read of this somewhere else on hear but thought I would bring it to the board to see if anyone has suggestions. Since I purchased my 2010 Luxury I have had a very tough time getting fuel into the tank, I've been to several gas stations and have had the same problem with the fuel pump handle clicking off as soon as the fuel begins to flow, I end up twisting the handle as far to the left as it will go and holding the trigger, this way also has pressure build up which stops the pump 4 or 5 times during the fill up. Very frustrating.
    . At your own risk, as a temporary measure you can turn the nozzle upside down, but you really need to have it fixed ASAP. Yes, it's a vapor recovery problem. Your canister is probably contaminated from someone trying to get as much gas into the tank as possible.

stealth97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Performance FWD

If it's the same problem my car had, there is a fix for it. I took it to the dealer and they took care of it. When I pumped gas into the car it would flip off as well. Now all is good. Not sure what they did, But they knew what I was talking about when I mentioned it to them.

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV
    Quote Originally Posted by '12CTSman
    . At your own risk, as a temporary measure you can turn the nozzle upside down, but you really need to have it fixed ASAP. Yes, it's a vapor recovery problem. Your canister is probably contaminated from someone trying to get as much gas into the tank as possible.
    Can overfilling the fuel tank really cause irreversible damage? I thought that if you overfilled/tried to fill all the way, any problems would eventually resolve themselves. Over the years, and before I knew that this was a bad idea, I've overfilled a few times. I've never been aware of any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by stealth97 View Post
    If it's the same problem my car had, there is a fix for it. I took it to the dealer and they took care of it. When I pumped gas into the car it would flip off as well. Now all is good. Not sure what they did, But they knew what I was talking about when I mentioned it to them.
    Thanks Stealth97 and everyone for your replies, I have made an appointment with the local Cadillac dealer for next week. They also seemed to know what the problem was. Will let you know the outcome.

retcad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

I'm sure it can be fixed. Although I've never experienced the problem, I generally avoid filling the tank to the brim. When I'm a little below half a tank, I put 7 or 8 gallons in, and this takes me a bit below full.

Also, if I fill it up completely, I hear and feel a 'thumping' noise, which goes away after burning off a few gallons. I've read there's fix for this, too, but I'm afraid that if a dealer messes with it, it may create issues that I currently don't have.

Thanks Stealth97 and everyone for your replies, I have made an appointment with the local Cadillac dealer for next week. They also seemed to know what the problem was. Will let you know the outcome.
    Hello westham,

I am glad to hear that you have an appointment with your Cadillac dealership next week. Laura and I will be sure to look for your future updates.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Just got a call from the Dealer, all fixed, they replaced the filler pipe, I will test it out when I pick up the car and fill it up, seems there have been a few documents issued by GM on this complaint.

Just got a call from the Dealer, all fixed, they replaced the filler pipe, I will test it out when I pick up the car and fill it up, seems there have been a few documents issued by GM on this complaint.
    Thank you for updating the thread, westham. I am glad your dealer was able to help resolve your concern and replace the filler pipe. If additional concerns or questions arise, don't hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Replacement Fuel filler pipe solved the problem, now Gas pump does not click off until the tank is full. Much better than fighting with it all the way. :-)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.