Question about DRL in Luxury (Base)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Question about DRL in Luxury (Base) in Cadillac SRX Forums; Does anyone know the technology behind how the DRL function on the Luxury model? I know it uses the low ...
    kpann is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury

Question about DRL in Luxury (Base)

Does anyone know the technology behind how the DRL function on the Luxury model? I know it uses the low beam halogen and I believe it is a pulsed signal from somewhere but that is all I know. I am curious if there is a separate module that controls the DRL or not. If I were to try and take a look at the headlight assembly, I know the H11 bulb has two wires going to it, so I guess somewhere before the bulb connector, something is tapping into that circuit. Maybe a circuit at the fuse box/relay? I am just curious if anyone has additional information.

Thank you greatly in advance.

-Kris

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

phunter1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury

Re: Question about DRL in Luxury (Base)

I wish someone knew this answer about how to turn them off without having to do it with the headlight switch every time you start the car. I'd love to install HID's on my Luxury instead of the halogens, but would want to disable the use of the headlights as the DRL's. I'd then add the LED fog light bezels as my DRLs.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by phunter1 View Post
    I wish someone knew this answer about how to turn them off without having to do it with the headlight switch every time you start the car. I'd love to install HID's on my Luxury instead of the halogens, but would want to disable the use of the headlights as the DRL's. I'd then add the LED fog light bezels as my DRLs.

Phil
    I feel your pain. I am trying to find out a few things about what you are talking about. I know some people will frown on using DRL in the fogs but hey, It's your train. You drive it . I have my fingers crossed for the Helm manual for Xmas from the Mrs.

-Kris

OK. So I found out that there is in fact a DRL module and it is located smack dab in the middle behind the dash/radio/everything. I believe that it is 'technically' possible to have a dealership turn the DRL off. They hook up some sort of cable and then have phenomenal cosmic power over the settings on the car. Do you think they would be able to move the DRL function to a different bulb?

suzesq is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 srx

I believe the dealer has the ability to disable the DRL'S but I doubt you will find one willing to do it. They are afraid of liability issues a offending corporate GM.

Quote Originally Posted by suzesq View Post
    I believe the dealer has the ability to disable the DRL'S but I doubt you will find one willing to do it. They are afraid of liability issues a offending corporate GM.
    I completely agree with you 100%. I actually found a way to permanently disable the DRL but that is not my goal. I might have to do that for a step in what I am trying to do though. With a setup of 4 relays and a fuse block, I can tap into existing wires and add a circuit on the fuse box. This will allow the high beam bulbs (or any other bulb) to run at 50% and all other DRL features to exist (Parking Brake disable, low beam on will disable, high beam flash will disable, etc).

I also understand that if I can get my SRX to a Cadillac dealership in Canada, they will happily disable the DRL. Not sure why though.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by kpann View Post
    I also understand that if I can get my SRX to a Cadillac dealership in Canada, they will happily disable the DRL. Not sure why though.
    I can't say I believe that. It's against our law to have a vehicle newer than '91 with no functioning DRL that wasn't made for this country. (It's not hugely enforced, but it is enforced)
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

If it was on the internet, it is true, right? . I was reading an importing forum for a 2011 SRX from US into Canada. A dealership tech was advising. I guess that's what I get.

Thanks for the correction, Capt.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    I can't say I believe that. It's against our law to have a vehicle newer than '91 with no functioning DRL that wasn't made for this country. (It's not hugely enforced, but it is enforced)
    I was 100% wrong. There was a discussion about disabling the ability to turn them off!!! I am a complete tool. Sorry about that.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Don't worry, no harm done!
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.