**HOW-TO** - Replace Vent Control Solenoid (P0449) - PIC HEAVY
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By kpann
  • 1 Post By algiorda
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, **HOW-TO** - Replace Vent Control Solenoid (P0449) - PIC HEAVY in Cadillac SRX Forums; ...
    kpann is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury

**HOW-TO** - Replace Vent Control Solenoid (P0449) - PIC HEAVY

So last weekend I got in the SRX to head to the store with the wife and discovered this…

Never fun. So I connected up the MIL reader I use to check it out. Lets go through those steps right quick as a free bee…

1. Connect to the OBD2 port on the SRX. It is to the left of your left knee.

-This is what the OBD2 port looks like

-This is what mine looked like when connected.

2. Check the code. Use whatever you like (Torque, Advance, AutoZone, Dealer$hip)

-If you have the ability to, grab a Freeze Frame to assist if needed. (Not needed in this case).

3. Analyze the code. Mine was P0449 which is Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Valve/Solenoid Circuit. Looks like it will be the Vent Control Solenoid…NOT THE PURGE CONTROL SOLENOID. The GM part number is 13575702 and can be found for under $30. Local Cadillac dealership quoted me $96.

4. Order the part and party when they arrive in 2 days (love Amazon Prime).

5. OK. Lift the car up so that you can fit under it… well I could’t. I figured this would be easy peasy. I would just use these sweet ramps I have not been able to use since I owned a Tacoma.

-Not so fast. They hit the front lower spoiler. So the jack stands and jack were going to be in my way so I had to jack the sides up…

And put the ramps under the tires so then I could drive up them. Victory!

6. Crawl under the DRIVER’S side. Next to the axle knuckle and across from the muffler, you will see the vapor canister. This is where the Vent Control Solenoid is connected. Here I am holding the new one under the existing one.

7. Disconnect the electrical connector by slightly pulling the red lip and pull the whole connector down.

8. Now twist the solenoid counter-clockwise. You will need to pull the plastic tab towards the front of the car while doing so.

-Kind of a Chris Angel trick but it is possible and will turn about 15%.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: **HOW-TO** - Replace Vent Control Solenoid (P0449) - PIC HEAVY

9. Pull the solenoid out of the vapor canister. Don’t worry about the vapor line (NO GAS) running to it.

- I found it easier at this point to go to the other side of the car and crawl under. It gives you a better angle to remove the Vapor Tube Quick Connect.

10. Remove the Vapor Tube Quick Connect. (This is where I am looking for assistance. Anyone know how to remove this gracefully?).

11. Once everything is removed, simply put the new solenoid back in the reverse order:

Vapor Line
    Connect to Vapor Canister
    Electrical Connector

12. You can wait to see if the CEL/MIL goes out after a few drives or you can clear it and see if it comes back. I have no patience so I cleared it and I am on day 2 with out it coming back on.

Let me know if you have any questions about this and I can try to help out as best as I can.
    Indy_Mike and srxycaddy like this.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Very good! I will put this into the How To thread!
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

algiorda is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 , 2010, 2014 Luxury Raven Blk w/Ebony

This is so awesome. Thanks for taking the time to take the pictures and explain the process for us novices!!! Excellent. Thank you!
    Indy_Mike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by algiorda View Post
    This is so awesome. Thanks for taking the time to take the pictures and explain the process for us novices!!! Excellent. Thank you!
    Absolutely my pleasure. I like to help out where I can.

kanundrum is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Nice Write up I am going to be making one on how to replace the Boost Control Solenoid Very Soon

Imad Gailani is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thank you so much for your help. have you got any idea why my car wouldn't take the gas when I try to fill it up? I have no check engine sign, yet the car doesn't take the gas even when its empty. it took me 20 minutes to put 3 gallons !!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.