Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Car Wash Tips

5K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  algiorda 
#1 ·
Hi! Long time reader of the forum and recent '13 SRX owner! Couldn't be happier!

Well it's been a few weeks and it's time to wash my new baby. This is actually my first luxury vehicle so I'm probably overthinking the car wash but thought I should ask. Any advice? Suggestions on auto wash and care products? Anything I should avoid?

Thanks!
Danny

#3 ·
Cadillac isn't Mercedes. Guidelines for washing Cadillacs are no different than other GM vehicles.

In short, the owner's manual gives the following advice for general car washes (on various pages). Fold in the outside rear-view mirrors and make sure all the wipers are off. Do not use any car wash that has silicone carbide tire cleaning brushes, as they can cause damage.

The full manual can be read here:

http://www.cadillac.com/content/dam...nd_Videos/03_pdf/2013-srx-owner-manual-2k.pdf

More complex cleaning info can be found on page 10-89 of the manual.

#5 ·
My 2010 is black. I thought it would be a full-time job keeping it looking great, but not really. I take it to a conventional car wash every couple of weeks. When it's 'dirty' from rain you really can't tell unless you're standing right next to it. In winter, I wash more often due to salt. Too cold here in Mass. to wash in my driveway, and in summer we usually have water restrictions. On top of that, I'm lazy. I even leave the side mirrors out (I don't have the auto-folds) with no problems. One thing I take care of immediately, though, is bird poop. It mars the finish. Keep a soft cloth/tissue in the car along with a little water and soften it up and gently remove after the crap softens. Never rub, as it leaves scratches.

And hey, I'll match the looks of the SRX against most Mercedes anytime!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.