Cadillac Owners Forum banner

How to remove overhead console cover?

14K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  TheCaptain 
#1 ·
I was replacing the OEM bulbs in the overhead console today with LEDs and all was well until I tried to replace the one on the right hand side. Lo and behold, the lampholder was not installed properly, or it was displaced by the thick wiring harness. There is no way to put in a new bulb (I got the OEM out with no problem) unless I can put the lampholder back in place. From a parts diagram I looked at online it looks like the cover is held on by friction. I've tried everything I know to do, but it will not come off; not even a bit. Anyone out there know how to remove it, or I am destined to drive my SRX with only one overhead console light? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
The whole console is held in by six metal clips in the roof. If you stick a small screwdriver and lightly pry around until you can work your way from the back to the front, you can pop it off. It's going to take more effort than you think, and just make sure to pull evenly across the console, and close to the clips as you can. Then you can get to the chrome lamp holder section and snap it back into place, and explore around to see exactly what all is up there. :D

#3 ·
TheCaptain said:
The whole console is held in by six metal clips in the roof. If you stick a small screwdriver and lightly pry around until you can work your way from the back to the front, you can pop it off. It's going to take more effort than you think, and just make sure to pull evenly across the console, and close to the clips as you can. Then you can get to the chrome lamp holder section and snap it back into place, and explore around to see exactly what all is up there. :D
Thanks very much Captain for the info. I thought I saw the two brass clips at the top edges this morning when I was exploring thru the GPS, Bluetooth, and sunroof switches panel cavity. What size of small screwdriver do you recommend? A real small screwdriver like you would use to remove screws on a child's toy, or a bigger one around 4" long? I agree they are not going to release easily. Wish me luck!

#4 ·
A larger size one. It just needs to have a (finger size) long shaft to get enough force to not break anything and have enough oomph to move the console.

#5 ·
I had a revelation and used our old ice cream spade. It worked like a charm in less than a minute with no scratches or damage whatsoever. Those mid-panel clips were a bear though, but I had plenty of torque with the spade. No doubt in my mind the socket was not installed at the factory as the wire loom couldn't possibly dislodge it. Once I clicked it in it wasn't going anywhere.

Thanks again Captain for your help. Now on to the under dash and door courtesy lights. I still haven't gotten enough nerve to change out the DRLs due to having to fiddle with the underhood fuse center.

#6 ·
Yea, the passengers side is easy, and the drivers side, its actually much easier to unbolt the bumper and light casing and get it from that way then move that stupid fuse centre. (At least in the '13, the '10 seemed to be more forgiving)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.