2010 SRX - Water Leaking Under Glove Box When Raining Outside - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, 2010 SRX - Water Leaking Under Glove Box When Raining Outside in Cadillac SRX Forums; It never rains in California...but it did last week (a lot) and the passenger floorboard on my 2010 SRX had ...
    CaddyKathie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

Re: 2010 SRX - Water Leaking Under Glove Box When Raining Outside

It never rains in California...but it did last week (a lot) and the passenger floorboard on my 2010 SRX had at least an inch of water on it and there was evidence that it came in just under the glove box on the side of the floorboard. The repair is at least $1,000 and said to be a cowel (spelling?) that is broken. They said they checked the air conditioning drain but it is clear. Now I am reading here that it may be a problem with the drain from the sunroof?

The darned car is barely 3 years old so I'm having a hard time believing that a part has already warn out. Any other possibilities for what the problem can be? I really don't want to spend the money if it could be something more simple and less expensive.[COLOR="Silver"]

allgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX FWD Gray Flannel / Ebony Premium 3.0 Chrome Techs

My 2010 had same problem . The roof drain wasn't clogged. There is a connection around the glove box area that comes lose. I was told the hose is too short and comes off connection .

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by CaddyKathie View Post
    It never rains in California...but it did last week (a lot) and the passenger floorboard on my 2010 SRX had at least an inch of water on it and there was evidence that it came in just under the glove box on the side of the floorboard. The repair is at least $1,000 and said to be a cowel (spelling?) that is broken. They said they checked the air conditioning drain but it is clear. Now I am reading here that it may be a problem with the drain from the sunroof?

The darned car is barely 3 years old so I'm having a hard time believing that a part has already warn out. Any other possibilities for what the problem can be? I really don't want to spend the money if it could be something more simple and less expensive.[COLOR="Silver"]
    Hi CaddyKathie,

I can understand how frustrating rain getting in your car would be. I would like to assist in the handling of this issue. If you would like to PM me your VIN and contact information I can look into it. If you cannot PM me, email me at socialmedia@gm.com with “Attention: Austin” in the subject line.

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

2010SRXmwl123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

How do I access the area where you push back in every few months? Just started happening to me last week...Do I have to remove interior headliner? Mine is leaking right under the glove box. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Elvistcb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX and Escalade

Having a horrible leak. Floorboard was FULL of water last night. Had to garage the car and have the wife drive something else today. Need help ASAP!

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

As Consumer Reports states that the SRX is "less than average reliability", I think we are seeing why in this thread.
    CaddyKathie likes this.

jrose7004 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 10 SRX Luxury

I don't think that a loose drain hose is something that is considered when talking about reliability, but rather they're talking about how the car starts and drives and problems with the car running.
    crump13 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 2010SRXmwl123 View Post
    How do I access the area where you push back in every few months? Just started happening to me last week...Do I have to remove interior headliner? Mine is leaking right under the glove box. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    I had the problem for the first time this week in my 10, as stated above how do you access this drain to reattach?

Born Loser is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

I see with the rainy season here, this thread has picked up life again. I will try to be more descriptive on how to access the problem. First, remove the interior cover for the "pillar" on the passenger side - that is the cloth covered piece that runs in the corner formed by the windshield and the door. It runs from the dash to the roof. It will be lose, but not completely removable with out disconnecting the plastic retainer - this piece is designed to be knocked free by the air bags, but, not turned into a projectile. Use caution around the now exposed air bags! I also disconnect the power connectors at this point, and completely remove the cover. You will see the whitish/clear tube that runs out of the roof liner, down the pillar, and under the dash at this point. If you use a small mirror and flashlight, looking down the windshield, you can follow the tube until it meets is large, black grommet. The grommet will probably be most of the way in the hole in the firewall where it belongs. But, not all the way (especially at the bottom). My fat fingers where unable to fit well enough to push the grommet in squarely - so I bent up a piece of 3/8 metal rod - with just the right bends to push it in. Even still, and I have done it 3 or 4 times, it is a bit of a trick. When you "think" you have it, put some paper towel on the floor (or anything that will show water easily), and run the garden hose over the sunroof. You will know right away if it is leaking still. I was going to shoot a vid, but, it is very difficult to see the actual connection. Hope this helps.

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Quote Originally Posted by Born Loser View Post
    I see with the rainy season here, this thread has picked up life again. I will try to be more descriptive on how to access the problem. First, remove the interior cover for the "pillar" on the passenger side - that is the cloth covered piece that runs in the corner formed by the windshield and the door. It runs from the dash to the roof. It will be lose, but not completely removable with out disconnecting the plastic retainer - this piece is designed to be knocked free by the air bags, but, not turned into a projectile. Use caution around the now exposed air bags! I also disconnect the power connectors at this point, and completely remove the cover. You will see the whitish/clear tube that runs out of the roof liner, down the pillar, and under the dash at this point. If you use a small mirror and flashlight, looking down the windshield, you can follow the tube until it meets is large, black grommet. The grommet will probably be most of the way in the hole in the firewall where it belongs. But, not all the way (especially at the bottom). My fat fingers where unable to fit well enough to push the grommet in squarely - so I bent up a piece of 3/8 metal rod - with just the right bends to push it in. Even still, and I have done it 3 or 4 times, it is a bit of a trick. When you "think" you have it, put some paper towel on the floor (or anything that will show water easily), and run the garden hose over the sunroof. You will know right away if it is leaking still. I was going to shoot a vid, but, it is very difficult to see the actual connection. Hope this helps.
    I am glad you hani-man people exist but I have neither the time, inclination, nor the skills or tools to try something like this. It would end up costing me more in the end than just taking it to the dealer. Thanks for the info.
    allgm likes this.

Thanks for the info and PM!

mike22 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

I had the same problem in my 2011 SRX. Very easy to check - pop off the interior panel on the front A-pillar (the A-Pillar is the post between the windshield and the door). You can pry it off with your hands, no tools needed. After it is off you will see some wires and a white plastic tube about 1/2" diameter. That white tube runs from the sunroof drain channel in the roof (one of several) down the A-pillar into the firewall just below the dashboard at the very bottom corner of the windshield. It has a black rubber fitting that fits into a hole in the firewall and that is what pops out. So when it rains, the water runs down the top of the glove box, drips on the carpet in the passenger footwell. This is a big issue as it runs right over the electronics and the ECM - this will cause BIG problems if not fixed (aside from the inevitable damp stink).

If you use a flashlight and peer from the outside of the car in the corner of the windshield on top of the dash you can see how it connects (you must remove the A pillar cover first). It is extremely difficult (impossible) to use your hands and pop the fitting back into the firewall. You can either disaasemble the dash or like I did make a long bent special tool to push the black boot/tube back in. Tip - use some dish soap as a lubricant.

If you need a quick and dirty fix (or a test method), tape the entire sunroof from glass to roof to seal it. Hose the car and if the problem is gone, you found your problem.

I will try and post a pic.
    __________________________________________________ ___________

Good afternoon, Your CF account is activated. please use the Profile and Settings tabs to update your profile to reflect proper birth date, approximate location, car owned and time zone - or do you really live in London - GMT ?

mike22 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

IMAG0751b.jpg

IMAG0754b.jpg

Look closely for the white tube, that is the sunroof drain. Note the black nipple at end. Ref my previous post.

Maximumkk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium AWD - Silver Coast w/ Shale-Brownstone

Has anyone looked (once reconnected) if you can see the grommet in the firewall from the engine side? If so, can adhesive be applied to keep the grommet from popping out and into the cabin?

Max

mercilessming is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 DeVille, 2012 SRX

I was wondering where that water came from in my 2012 SRX........Not a whole lot. I'll be looking for the sunroof drain tube under the glove box.....maybe it came loose................

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.