Map Update - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Map Update in Cadillac SRX Forums; Good question. I'm not sure, but I do know they ask for a VIN when you order it. I just ...
    sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Re: Map Update

Good question. I'm not sure, but I do know they ask for a VIN when you order it. I just bought one. I figured 4 years was a reasonable time to wait before updating. I just moved and there are a ton of new roads around here. Nothing like trying to learn the area with an outdated nav system.

Sube

algiorda is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 , 2010, 2014 Luxury Raven Blk w/Ebony

Does anyone know if the map update erases existing Saved Addresses/Destinations in the database? I have about 125 Entries that I want to keep.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

the srx nav system is a hard drive based system... the DVD copies to the hard drive and then you don't need the DVD anymore
    because of this they have added some security to keep you from updating multiple systems with the same disc
    each disc is coded with your VIN and you get a pin code on you invoice that you need to input when loading the DVD onto the car

for other systems that read off of the dvd and the dvd stays in the car you can use the same dvd for multiple cars (if they have the same nav system and use the same disc)
    but you can't use the disc in two cars at the same time since the disc needs to be in the radio for it to work
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

westham is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury

Hi Chris,
    Thanks for the explanation, so I can't use 1 disc to download the map updates in both of my GM cars with the same system ........... I have to purchase 2 disc's??? Seems a bit harsh.

GeeVee is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Crystal Red AWD 3L Luxury & Performance SRX

Sube, can I ask where you bought your updated disk? I ordered mine through GM Navigation Center three days after they came available and I`m now told mine is on back order. Not a happy camper. Can GM do anything right?

well the companies that own the map data only license each purchase for one vehicle
    this is kind of standard operating procedure for navigation updates across the automotive industry
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    well the companies that own the map data only license each purchase for one vehicle
    this is kind of standard operating procedure for navigation updates across the automotive industry
    While I understand this, how is it that a PND can be less expensive than the update and possibly include free map updates? It does make one wonder.

Herjeff is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Performance

Having used GPS units for many years; two things come to mind in view of having the NAV system in my 2011. The SRX NAV program is one of the worse for those that use mobile GPS units. The fastest routes are not the fastest and many times way out of the way. The most direct will usually mimic standard, fastest mobile GPS units. The usual like or dislike for the system rests with previous experience with GPS and their obvious benefits. Of course a GPS can get you to undesirable places and incorrect positioning but you must understand their limitations. Further the lack of finding a POI while driving is absolutely crazy. They don't stop anyone from tuning the radio (FM, AM or satellite) HHD, USB, etc. You can fiddle with just about anything as well as your front passenger but if you are moving you can't find a POI. Windshield wipers, once again your radio or DVD player are all distractions to a driver yet they don't stop that. You can even adjust and change your seating and that’s a distraction as well and drive away without your seatbelt buckled yet you can't reach over and use the POI feature. My next vehicle will not have an onboard NAV system. I've gone back to my mobile GPS units which are transferable between vehicles including my motorcycle and can be updated for far less money. In fact Garmin lets you buy maps, one time charge for the life of the GPS. And you upgrade your firmware from your home computer to keep it at optimum functionality…FREE!
    stevec5375 likes this.

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Quote Originally Posted by Herjeff View Post
    Having used GPS units for many years; two things come to mind in view of having the NAV system in my 2011. The SRX NAV program is one of the worse for those that use mobile GPS units. The fastest routes are not the fastest and many times way out of the way. The most direct will usually mimic standard, fastest mobile GPS units. The usual like or dislike for the system rests with previous experience with GPS and their obvious benefits. Of course a GPS can get you to undesirable places and incorrect positioning but you must understand their limitations. Further the lack of finding a POI while driving is absolutely crazy. They don't stop anyone from tuning the radio (FM, AM or satellite) HHD, USB, etc. You can fiddle with just about anything as well as your front passenger but if you are moving you can't find a POI. Windshield wipers, once again your radio or DVD player are all distractions to a driver yet they don't stop that. You can even adjust and change your seating and that’s a distraction as well and drive away without your seatbelt buckled yet you can't reach over and use the POI feature. My next vehicle will not have an onboard NAV system. I've gone back to my mobile GPS units which are transferable between vehicles including my motorcycle and can be updated for far less money. In fact Garmin lets you buy maps, one time charge for the life of the GPS. And you upgrade your firmware from your home computer to keep it at optimum functionality…FREE!
    I try to leave my front passengers alone. Most of them don't like being "fiddled" with.
    TheCaptain likes this.

georule is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury AWD Silver Coast Metallic

So my 2013 SRX won't update maps/poi's ever without doing a DVD-based map upgrade at some point in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by 300:29:1 View Post
    While I understand this, how is it that a PND can be less expensive than the update and possibly include free map updates? It does make one wonder.
    the licensing is different for the different type of device that the maps will be used for

the map companies want more money if it's going in a car
    1) the car costs way more than the PND
    2) it's an integral system (in dash system)
    3) there's no market for competition ... you can't go get a map disc from the other mapping company they have a monopoly basically

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by georule View Post
    So my 2013 SRX won't update maps/poi's ever without doing a DVD-based map upgrade at some point in the future?
    Correct.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

algiorda is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 , 2010, 2014 Luxury Raven Blk w/Ebony

Bump!

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by GeeVee View Post
    Sube, can I ask where you bought your updated disk? I ordered mine through GM Navigation Center three days after they came available and I`m now told mine is on back order. Not a happy camper. Can GM do anything right?
    I ordered mine at the link below. I received it yesterday. From time of order, to delivery was four days. It ships out of Memphis, TN. I'm in NC, so depending on where you live the shipping time may vary. I'm literally in the process of uploading the disc data to my HDD right now. There are actually "two" separate DVDs. I'm not sure if one has the maps and the other POIs, or a combination of both. They don't tell you that. The discs are just labeled "1" & "2". Installation is pretty simple and straight forward. Just pop in the disc. You'll get a message on the pop-up Nav screen telling you map update detected. It'll ask you if you want to update maps. Then, you'll have to enter an activation code. This is the same code you get when you place your order. The code is also on the printed invoice which accompanies the discs. Next, you'll get a messages saying, "Update will take approx. 95 mins." After the first disc is done, it automatically ejects. You'll then get a message to insert the second disc. Obviously, due to the duration of the process, you'll want to have your engine running the whole time.

These discs are for 2010-2012 models. There is no update for the 2013 SRX. It already has the latest maps.

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INT...YAAAE.WrBoq6H3
    Attached Images
    Kaptain Spaulding likes this.

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV
    Thanks Sube! Let us know how you like the update.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.