Any way to change AUTO headlamp default to OFF? (HID wearout concern)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnnyBzSRX
  • 1 Post By davedogcaddy
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Any way to change AUTO headlamp default to OFF? (HID wearout concern) in Cadillac SRX Forums; I've noticed that unlike my previous cars with automatic headlamp controls, the SRX defaults to AUTO mode and can only ...
    JohnnyBzSRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX FWD Performance - Xenon Blue / Shale-Brownstone

Any way to change AUTO headlamp default to OFF? (HID wearout concern)

I've noticed that unlike my previous cars with automatic headlamp controls, the SRX defaults to AUTO mode and can only be turned off by moving the knob "momentarily" to the "off" position, which lasts only until the car is re-started (defaults to AUTO mode on every start). The result is that everytime I start the car in the garage, the HIDs "fire up" for a few seconds until I back out and then the AUTO mode turns them off. Being concerned that this causes unnecessary wear and tear on the HIDs, the only way I've figured out to avoid this is to remember each time I start the car to turn the headlamp switch to "off" before the HIDs "fire up". This is very inconvienient. So my questions are:

1) Do the HIDs wear out faster when they are cycled ON/OFF numerous, unnecessary times? Or is my concern unfounded (this is the first car I've owned w/ HIDs)?

2) Is there any way to change the default headlamp mode to OFF so I don't have to remember flipping the switch everytime I start the car in the garage? I've looked through the manual but it doesn't say anything about this, other than a warning that when the auto lamps come on when starting it in the garage that the dashboard displays may be dim for a few moments when backing out into the daylight.

Thanks.
    davedogcaddy likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Re: Any way to change AUTO headlamp default to OFF? (HID wearout concern)

I park outside and use a sun screen in the windshield. The shield causes the same thing to happen to me. The HIDs come on until I take the sun screen down. I suppose I could take the sun screen down before starting the car but when it's 100 degrees outside I don't want to sit there an scorch while I roll up the sun screen.

I'll be interested in the answer to this as well. But like all things SRX, I suspect it will be a "no". I guess the default is better than the alternative--driving down the road in the dark with your headlights off.

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD
    I have complained about this as well. The only thing you could try is to turn on the parking lamps before starting, that might keep the headlights from turning on. Then when in daylight, turn them off, headlights should not come on, only DRL. I have also read that the hid lights have a long life span, and that may be true, but I still don't like them turning on and off within a few seconds, that can not be good for their longevity.

That being said, since my wife drives it, there is no way she is going to do anything other than pushing the start button and driving!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Hockeyfox is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX

I am in the garage and the same thing happens to me...and concerns me. HID replacement isn't cheap. I know I complained about not being able to defeat the auto door locks upon driving, but I wish some of the tasks at hand were left up to the owner. Cars will soon be driving themselves taking away all of the fun factor.

Quote Originally Posted by adamjeeps View Post
    That being said, since my wife drives it, there is no way she is going to do anything other than pushing the start button and driving!
    THAT, is my greater concern as well, moreso than the inconvienience factor for me the few times I get to drive it.

davedogcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium (3.0L, FWD), 2008 CTS (3.6L DI, AWD)

I've wondered this many times in the garage myself. I'm too lazy and I just let it do what it does. At least I won't have to worry about wearing out my headlight switch before you guys
    TheCaptain likes this.

westham is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury

My thoughts are the same as everyone's, I have HID and would like to turn them off during the daytime start ups and I don't always remember to hit the off switch until I'm down the road and see the refection from the car ahead of me.

Just wondering out loud here........

SLP made a trick adapter for the F-body (Camaro/Firebird) cars that had traction control. The factory startup default was ON, but some folks preferred that it be OFF (like me, too lazy or forgetful to press the button each time the car was started). This little module connected between the harness and the dash switch (a momentary push button) and effectively reversed the startup default to OFF. I believe the way it worked was that as soon as it detected power (when the car was started), it would simulate a switch closure that would turn the traction control OFF. After that, pushing the switch would turn traction control back ON (or OFF again after repeated switch presses). Considering that turning the SRX's headlamp knob to the 0/1 position is a momentary function too, seems like similar circuit / module could do the same trick for our headlamp switches.

And yes, as a matter of fact, I AM a rocket scientist!

Need to locate a wiring harness diagram for this portion of the dashboard .......... any sources?

edit: I don't think SLP offers this TCS reverser any longer, but this place does. Looks like 3 wires, power, ground and a trigger that connects to the momentary switch contact. Just need to determine if the switch is NO or NC, and whether it switches to ground or +12V.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.