Current experiences with ARCO gas
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PJ1520
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Current experiences with ARCO gas in Cadillac SRX Forums; I am interested in the experiences of anyone who has recently may be using ARCO gasoline. I wonder that since ...
    1st Eldorado in 1982 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Current experiences with ARCO gas

I am interested in the experiences of anyone who has recently may be using ARCO gasoline. I wonder that since ARCO is owned by BP (a Top Tier gasoline) if ARCO is now Top Tier as well, even though it is not listed.

Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

phunter1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury

Re: Current experiences with ARCO gas

Not sure what you mean by top tier, but I have used Arco off and on for years. Never had a problem, which I can't say about Union 76. If you are located in CA, it really doesn't matter which brand you use, since the state mandates the gasoline blend, so they are all exactly the same, except for some minor additives.

Phil

Thank you, Phil for your response.

Cadillac recommends the use of "Top Tier" gasoline. It is supplied by certain brands that have included detergents in its gas that go beyond what is mandated by the federal government. ARCO is not a Top Tier gasoline, even though its parent BP is. You can see then list at www.toptier.com.

You raise an interesting thought, does California have requirements that make all gasoline sold in our state more or less top tier gasoline equivalents? If anyone knows, I would sure like to hear from them.

I looked at the link you provided for toptier and it is to a company that makes palletizers, no gasoline companies listed. The federal standards don't matter in California. California has it's own standards which far exceed the federal ones. California requires all refineries to make exactly the same blend of gasoline. In fact, the fuel delivered to an ARCO station may come from a Shell, or other brand refinery. This includes Independents as well. The only difference between brands is the additives which are mixed in when the taker is filled, and is proprietary to the brand. All gas has additives, by the way. If you place a high value on brand specific additives like Chevron's "Techon", then by all means stick with a "top tier" brand. Personally, I don't place much value on brand specific additives and view them as mostly as marketing strategies.

Phil

GGMiv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX (Mocha Steel); 2008 SRX (Gold Mist)
    The link should have read www.toptiergas.com.

Hope this helps.

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux

and ref additives, it is those additives that Top Tier 'regulates' (see http://www.toptiergas.com/deposit_control.html). And I think as much as its about additives, it is about consistency and quality control standards.
    It is true that all gas comes from mostly the same refineries, but as you point out, its the proprietary additives that differentiate Exxon from Bobs Gas-n-Go...
    Nearly all car batteries are made by 3 manufacturers, but they are also made to individual specifications of the the branded companies.

Like I said, I dont get all hung up on the top tier thing, but since its easy to just follow it and keep GM happy in case of any fuel related problems, I'll do it...

Interesting list. I noticed that in addition to ARCO, Valero and Citgo are missing from the list as well. It also, it includes many companies I have never heard of. I guess I shouldn't use Costco gas either.

Phil

Phil --

Living in Southern California as you and I do, I wonder if the California Air Resources Board (CARB) mandates sufficient additional additives to bring ARCO up to the level of Top Tier gas. According to ARCO's website:

Is ARCO gas good quality gas?

Yes. ARCO fuel meets or exceeds all EPA, CARB* and ASTM standards for quality and provides what modern cars need to run well. Our additive levels in ARCO gas are sufficient to keep fuel-injectors clean.

* CARB standards are met at all California Arco fueling locations.

Where I live, Top Tier gasoline Shell and 76 are generally 40 cents a gallon more than ARCO. I am certainly no fuel expert, but I doubt that Shell and 76 are worth the extra cost.

Wow, that much difference!!! I don't blame you for looking into it. In my area ARCO is priced about 10 to 20 cents less than the "name" brands. They also don't take credit cards, which accounts for some of the price difference. Personally, I have no problem using ARCO, or Costco for that matter. To me gas is a commodity here in California, so I shop price, with one exception. I won't buy from a station I have never heard of.

Phil

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

It is my understanding that a half dozen or so of the world's automobile manufacturers support the use of the top tier brands to mitigate issues with engine performance due to clogged injectors, issues they believe are caused by inadequate amounts of detergent additives, EVEN THOUGH the amounts meet the federal government's required minimums.

One hand (certain auto manufacturers) washes the other (certain gasoline companies). It is a win-win.

The first has happy customers and/or fewer fuel system-related issues to contend with while the second acquires business volume (from the second and third tier, lower priced companies) they might not otherwise have.

PJ
    Huey Driver likes this.

Since 1997, all gasoline sold in the USA must have a certain level of detergent as specified by the Federal Government. (http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/40/80.161) The Toptier designation requires more detergent than the federal standard does. Whether this is necessary or not is debatable, with some fuel experts recommending only toptier fuels and others saying that such a high detergent level is unnecessary. (http://www.newcarsfor2013.org/does-u...soline-matter/). That said, several manufacturers, including GM recommend toptier approved fuel, although my 2001 Corvette has no such requirement.
    By the way, not being a toptier approved fuel does not mean that the fuel has only the minimum detergent level. It only means the refiner has not applied for toptier testing. Here is what BP has to say about it's BP, Amoco and ARCO brands. (http://www.fuelcertification.com/doc..._Additives.pdf).
    As I said earlier, I have used ARC0 off and on for 20+ years and have never had a problem, but ultimately it is your choice to make.

Phil

Ponyman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium, Radiant Silver

I work in a refinery and the same gas, coming from the same storage tanks, goes to all the different branded stations in at least a 100 mile radius by truck. Even further by pipeline, although what happens to it at the other end I don't know.
    There are a couple of different additives that they can choose to be injected into the gasoline at the time it is being loaded into the truck.
    These additives make up a miniscule amount of the total product. Basically what I am trying to say that no matter what brand you are buying, it probably came from the same tank as the bargain station down the street. Arco doesn't have a refinery near each of it's branded stations so that they actually sell ARCO asoline. Some may be located near an ARCO or BP refinery and actually sell their product, but most aren't. Same goes for Valero, Shell, Phillips and so on.

Kauai 1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux; 2013 XTS Lux

According to the Costco website and signs on the pumps at our Costco gasoline station, "Kirkland Signature Clean Power" contains 5 times the EPA minimum for fuel detergent aditives, for both regular and premium. We have used Costco gas in all of our vehicles, including Cadillacs, Buicks and other GM vehicles, for many years, as have other family members, with absolutely no problems. While earlier GM V-8 vehicles, that recommended but did not require premiun fuel, the use of Costco regular grade was just fine for over 100,000 miles! We have absolutely no qualms about using Costco gas, and wold feel the same about Arco if available locally.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.