Excessive gap on rear hatch?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Excessive gap on rear hatch? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Am I paranoid or does it look like my rear hatch has too large of a gap between the roof ...
    adamjeeps is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD

Excessive gap on rear hatch?

Am I paranoid or does it look like my rear hatch has too large of a gap between the roof line and rear quarter panels?

Compared to this (courtesy of MJDART!):

During a wash I can see the suds going down into the gap and running down the weatherstripping. I guess its hard to see without a ruler and another SRX to measure. It just looks to me like the hatch should be closing more tightly. Will add it to the list for next service to look at.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Excessive gap on rear hatch?

Measured the gap at edge of roof and hatch and is 3/8 inch. Will compare to other SRX's on lot in the next couple days.

Can someone tell me when they close the hatch with the button, during the last couple seconds the motor runs, does your hatch get pulled in tighter or does it not move? Mine does not move even though the motor is running.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

It doesn't move.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Kauai 1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux; 2013 XTS Lux

Adamjeeps, the gap on my SRX is 1/4 inch. During the last second or so of closing the hatch, the noise pitch of the motor rises and drops back, and the hatch pulls tight, backs offslightly, then pulls completely tight again.

Well that is 2 different stories on hatch closing. Could be both are working properly, I don't know how it adjusts those last couple of seconds. Could be different due to 2013 vs. 2012 model year.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Well, my 2010 does the same as my 2013. Both hum closed, keep humming and then stop. It initially slows as it comes into first contact, but once the motor winds up they both just snug shut and the motor winds down.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

JohnnyBzSRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX FWD Performance - Xenon Blue / Shale-Brownstone

I'm pretty sure there are two motors, one that raises & lower the hatch, and then one that "clinches" the latch tight. When mine closes, the hatch stops momentarily as soon as it comes in contact w/ the latch, and then the latch motor takes over, grabs the latch and clinches it tight.

I've been reading "Fox in Sox" way too many times to my kids:

"When the hatch motor catches, the latch closer clinches. If the latch closer doesn't clinch, how can the hatch motor keep the un-clinched un-latched hatch closed?"

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.