How to find out what version of nav database is loaded on HDD
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dmurphy
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, How to find out what version of nav database is loaded on HDD in Cadillac SRX Forums; Just purchased a 2010 SRX Performance with Nav, the vehicle did not come with the MAP disk but the navigation ...
    2007-CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS High Feature, 07 Escalade Lux. 10 SRX-Sold

How to find out what version of nav database is loaded on HDD

Just purchased a 2010 SRX Performance with Nav, the vehicle did not come with the MAP disk but the navigation system seems to work. As I understand it the disks can be loaded onto the car's hard disk drive so a nav disk is not necessary. I think the database is old, how can I determine what version of nav is loaded on the drive. I want to order an update but want to know the version I have before doing this and so far I have not found a way.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: How to find out what version of nav database is loaded on HDD

Quote Originally Posted by 2007-CTS View Post
    Just purchased a 2010 SRX Performance with Nav, the vehicle did not come with the MAP disk but the navigation system seems to work. As I understand it the disks can be loaded onto the car's hard disk drive so a nav disk is not necessary. I think the database is old, how can I determine what version of nav is loaded on the drive. I want to order an update but want to know the version I have before doing this and so far I have not found a way.

Thanks
    Hello 2007-CTS,

I am more than happy to help you with your questions. Can you please provide me with your VIN? If you do not want to post the VIN publicly, we can be reached via private message or by email at socialmedia@gm.com.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

PM'd, thanks Laura

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

PM'd, thanks Laura
    Hi 2007-CTS,

No problem! I wanted to let you know I received your PM and we will continue to interact that way.

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

The Cadillac Customer Care rep. provided the current GM part no (2943315) for the 2010 model year Map upgrade.

Ufgators is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 Srx
    My 2010 SRX had the whole nav replaced by my dealer due to WashingtonDC default city. Even with the new software, the map is not very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ufgators View Post
    My 2010 SRX had the whole nav replaced by my dealer due to WashingtonDC default city. Even with the new software, the map is not very accurate.
    Do you know what version or Nav Disk part no. they used was?

It's really pathetic that a 2010 auto does not know about a complete subdivision created back in 2003. I know it takes time to update these disks but Magellen and Garmin seem to be able to do this fairly quickly. I have an old Magellen purchased in 07 that is far more up to date then the 2010 SRX nav.

I guess the bottom line is why buy a new nav update if it really isn't all that accurate? Plus, the new 2014's will soon be out so I am waiting until I see if a 2014 disc will be released.

This one's a wait and see....

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Do you know what version or Nav Disk part no. they used was?

It's really pathetic that a 2010 auto does not know about a complete subdivision created back in 2003. I know it takes time to update these disks but Magellen and Garmin seem to be able to do this fairly quickly. I have an old Magellen purchased in 07 that is far more up to date then the 2010 SRX nav.

I guess the bottom line is why buy a new nav update if it really isn't all that accurate? Plus, the new 2014's will soon be out so I am waiting until I see if a 2014 disc will be released.

This one's a wait and see....
    I gave up on the 2010 Nav unit because I am not going to pay $299 for a map update when I can use Google Maps for free. I use my Samsung Galaxy Note II and Google Maps.

The first car that can integrate the phone's screen and audio into its systems is going to be a real step forward. I read that Apple is working on such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375 View Post
    I gave up on the 2010 Nav unit because I am not going to pay $299 for a map update when I can use Google Maps for free. I use my Samsung Galaxy Note II and Google Maps.

The first car that can integrate the phone's screen and audio into its systems is going to be a real step forward. I read that Apple is working on such a thing.

Actually I have been able to find the latest map update for around $200.00 but that too is still very high when you consider I can buy a brand new Magellen or Garmin with lifetime map updates.

It would seem very difficult for a car manufacture to be able to integrate say the iphones screen into their system. As you know apple is always upgrading their IOS version, the factory nav unit would require
    updates to accomodate these changes thus costing the auto makers to say on top of these changes. What is really needed is a universal interface that all car companies embrace and the phone manufactures will stick to.

I doubt this will ever happen, Apples does what they want and tells the world fo "F" off if they don't like it. As it is even the "standardized ipod interface" used in our Cadilacs is version specific, forget using the ipod interface on the iphone, that doesn't work correctly as well.

To complicate the issue, GM now has CUE and Ford has Sync and Chrysler MyGig, I don't think they will be abandoning these new technologies any time in the near future for a common platform.

So, I guess that leaves us whatever we can put together to make work in our cars....

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

My next vehicle won't have a Nav in it. I have used this one so little that I can't justify paying for it. The screens on smart phones are getting so big that they are no longer a problem viewing in the car. My Note II is a perfect example. I have no problem seeing it at all and I can integrate the voice output with the Aux-In jack.

Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375 View Post
    My next vehicle won't have a Nav in it. I have used this one so little that I can't justify paying for it.....
    That's a tough one, The Nav option is a 1k option but when it comes to selling off or trading in the factory Nav adds up greatly in resale value and demand. When I was looking for my SRX the ones without Nav sold for a least a thousand less. Besides that, there were many more "Non Nav" cars available, ones with Nav always seem to sell first. Even though the factory Nav is really not up to par with other Nav offerings (Garmin, phones, etc) having the backup cam, and all the other things the Nav option gives you is a real plus.

Considering how much an owner drops on a factory SRX Nav option I don't understand why a map update is so expensive. We paid up front for the option, there is really no reason why an update should be so expensive.
    I also think more people would buy them from GM rather than find one off Ebay or some other source. These are things that affect long term owner satisfaction and loyalty, something GM should consider.

dmurphy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '13 Evolution Green Luxury SRX (Shale/Brownstone Interior)

Even though the factory Nav is really not up to par with other Nav offerings (Garmin, phones, etc) having the backup cam, and all the other things the Nav option gives you is a real plus.
    I just bought a '13 SRX Luxury (non-nav) 2 weeks ago, and I'm happy I didn't spend the extra $900 for the nav option. It's completely unnecessary. I have a $100 TomTom GPS unit that sits in the glovebox on the shelf unless I need it. That's my GPS option.

At least on the Luxury model, the backup cam (great feature, BTW) works well without nav. The factory nav is a sinkhole for money, IMO. $900 from the start, and $300 for each map update? That cheap TomTom has a better map database and free map & traffic updates for life. The only thing I'm missing out on is the weather CUE app, but I can ask Siri for that. :-)
    stevec5375 likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.