Pinging noise when accelerating
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Pinging noise when accelerating in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hi Everyone! Just got a 2013 Luxury SRX with AWD a couple of months ago. It's been great, except we're ...
    Versatrak is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 3.6 Premium, 2013 SRX AWD Luxury

Pinging noise when accelerating

Hi Everyone! Just got a 2013 Luxury SRX with AWD a couple of months ago. It's been great, except we're hearing a noise when we're driving.

It sounds most like a pinging noise from the front of the car and occurs primarily only when the vehicle is under load (e.g. driving up a hill). It always seems to happen in 3rd or 4th gear around 2000-3000 RPM. I can't seem to duplicate it when in neutral and revving the engine.

I took it to the dealer, but they couldn't find anything even after keeping it overnight. Interestingly, I noticed a similar noise when driving their loaner SRX.

It seems to be happening more frequently and is getting really annoying. I tried searching the forums, but didn't see anything about it, so I thought I'd ask directly. Has anyone had a similar issue or does anyone have any thoughts as to what it could be?

Thanks for the help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carbeck is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX AWD Premium, previously 2011 AWD Luxury

Re: Pinging noise when accelerating

First thing that comes to mind, do you live in a mountainous area? Regular fuel in those areas may be below 87 octane. If so, and you're using this fuel, you could be hearing spark knock. The dealer could be making the same mistake, causing their SRX to make the same noise.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

I hear a small sound probably similar to this in mine. Only hear it under load and it just is a small pinging noise. I thought mine was coming from the front left of the car, but I can't narrow it down more than that.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Versatrak View Post
    Hi Everyone! Just got a 2013 Luxury SRX with AWD a couple of months ago. It's been great, except we're hearing a noise when we're driving.

It sounds most like a pinging noise from the front of the car and occurs primarily only when the vehicle is under load (e.g. driving up a hill). It always seems to happen in 3rd or 4th gear around 2000-3000 RPM. I can't seem to duplicate it when in neutral and revving the engine.

I took it to the dealer, but they couldn't find anything even after keeping it overnight. Interestingly, I noticed a similar noise when driving their loaner SRX.

It seems to be happening more frequently and is getting really annoying. I tried searching the forums, but didn't see anything about it, so I thought I'd ask directly. Has anyone had a similar issue or does anyone have any thoughts as to what it could be?

Thanks for the help!
    Hello Versatrak,

Congratulations on your new SRX! I do apologize that you are hearing a pinging noise when you are accelerating and that the dealership wasn’t able to find anything. Was the dealership not able to duplicate it, or they couldn’t find the source of the noise? I do see you have gotten some input from the other members here, but if you would like any assistance working with the dealership, please feel free to private message me. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Green95ss is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX
    I've noticed this on every SRX I've driven (with the 3.6 at least). I brought my car ('13 SRX) to my local dealership and they agreed that it was pulling timing out upon throttle tip-in. They had master technicians working on it and never found the issue. I've since gotten another SRX (long story) and it doesn't do it nearly as much as my old one, but it still does it from time to time. GM mentions using top tier gas, but I don't agree that the issue lies with bad gas...

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

I've only ever used top tier gas, and mine hasn't changed frequency or loudness. My '10 didn't do it, so I'm chalking it up to the 3.6 engine as 'normal' for now. (Unless changes were made in the trans or front drivetrain between 10 and 13, it could be something in there...?) If or when it changes, then its not normal anymore, and a trip to the dealer is in order.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux

Theres a service bulletin for loud injector firing. Thats all I could think of. Described as normal for high pressure injectors.

bulldog89 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX

Hello everyone. I've owned a 2011 SRX Premium (3.0L), 2012 SRX Premium (3.6L), and now a 2013 SRX Premium (3.6L). I've never experienced this pinging until the 2013. I've tried premium fuel and it made absolutely no difference. It does seem to do this only going up hills. On my first trip to the dealer, I will raise this issue and see what they find. This sounds more like pre-ignition knock which is hard to believe from a direct injected engine.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog89 View Post
    Hello everyone. I've owned a 2011 SRX Premium (3.0L), 2012 SRX Premium (3.6L), and now a 2013 SRX Premium (3.6L). I've never experienced this pinging until the 2013. I've tried premium fuel and it made absolutely no difference. It does seem to do this only going up hills. On my first trip to the dealer, I will raise this issue and see what they find. This sounds more like pre-ignition knock which is hard to believe from a direct injected engine.
    Hello bulldog89,

I see you have stayed in the SRX family. I hope you are enjoying your 2013 model besides the pinging noise you are experiencing when accelerating. I see you will be mentioning this concern to the dealer when you go in for your next visit. If you would like to keep us informed of your situation or further discuss this concern with us, please reach out via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

MJDART is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium

Curious how it would react to using E85 Fuel, if it gets much worse using this fuel that would help narrow it down to a spark timing issue possibly.

Just switched to premium and the engine seems quieter, though the pinging is still there. I'll see if it changes at all the more we drive it.

But it is interesting that this is a new problem with just the 2013s. And, if we all seem to be having this problem, I wonder if GM is investigating it.

GEORGEC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 DHS

This thread reads like the problem is just plain, old fashioned pre-ignition. The kind we had before computers controlled the spark advance. Just like I had when I foolishly took a 1 yr old Buick Invicta to Okinawa in 1960. They only had regular on that island. George

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux

Agreed, but you should never need premium just to stop preignition or pinging or whatever this might be.
    It is most likely the dealership would say 'bad gas' which is why I religiously use 'top tier gas' per the manual. I dont really believe it makes THAT much difference, but for a couple pennies more, I win that argument with the dealer if it ever happens. I'd take it in, get the 'bad gas' answer, find out what I'd have to do to prove that wasnt the problem (ie, "run two tanks of top tier") and bring it back to fix. They do have their procedures they have to go through when diagnosing if its a real problem or just a customer related issue...
    It could be a knock sensor (or whatever they use now) or and issue with the PCM or ignition. I'd just say that if you can easily repeat it, take it in. If its under moderate/heavy load (uphill) in low gear/RPMs, it wouldnt take a rocket scientist to figure it out. If its a problem, that is fixed with premium, its likely that it gets worse and premium doesnt even work.
    I know this is stating the obvious, but just wanted to add my encouragement.

I agree that that is what it sounds like, but should add that the dealer couldn't figure out what was causing it. They definitely heard it, could reproduce it, but haven't been able to correct it. And it seems like an issue that's fairly widespread.

With regards to gas quality, I don't know what 'top tier' specifically means, but we've always used Shell. That seems top tier to me

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD

Quote Originally Posted by Versatrak View Post
    I agree that that is what it sounds like, but should add that the dealer couldn't figure out what was causing it. They definitely heard it, could reproduce it, but haven't been able to correct it. And it seems like an issue that's fairly widespread.

With regards to gas quality, I don't know what 'top tier' specifically means, but we've always used Shell. That seems top tier to me
    http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Yes, Shell is about as good as it gets.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.