Pinging noise when accelerating - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Pinging noise when accelerating in Cadillac SRX Forums; FYI... The manual for the 2010 MY specifically states to only use "top tier" gasoline....
    stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Re: Pinging noise when accelerating

FYI... The manual for the 2010 MY specifically states to only use "top tier" gasoline.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375 View Post
    FYI... The manual for the 2010 MY specifically states to only use "top tier" gasoline.
    I think the manual for all 06+ GM vehicles mention that. Just FYI.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

Kind of what I was getting at is that I dont blindly believe that top tier is the bees knees... A notable omission is Amoco/BP. However, it seems a simple way to immediately eliminate the 'cheap gas' statement when troubleshooting fuel related issues is to say "I only use top tier gas (as recommended in the manual)".

GGMiv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX (Mocha Steel); 2008 SRX (Gold Mist)
    BP is now Top Tier.

bulldog89 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX

Took the 2013 SRX in for it's first service. Had Service check for the pinging issue. They looked at all the all the codes, etc., and found nothing. So, I filled up with a tank of Chevron Regular and am watching to see if this helps any. I don't think this will completely solve the problem, but it may help. I was using fuel from Costco and Sams pretty exclusively. I did get 24.5 MPG @ 75 mph on my way back into town, which is the best I've seen.

Brian

300:29:1 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog89
    Took the 2013 SRX in for it's first service. Had Service check for the pinging issue. They looked at all the all the codes, etc., and found nothing. So, I filled up with a tank of Chevron Regular and am watching to see if this helps any. I don't think this will completely solve the problem, but it may help. I was using fuel from Costco and Sams pretty exclusively. I did get 24.5 MPG @ 75 mph on my way back into town, which is the best I've seen. Brian
    Name brand fuels, including the ones you've mentioned above, should be about the same. That's really nonsense IMO. SAMs doesn't have a dedicated oil supply. They buy from the big oil companies. You may find that one brand or even station works a little better for you, or it may be psychological.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog89 View Post
    Took the 2013 SRX in for it's first service. Had Service check for the pinging issue. They looked at all the all the codes, etc., and found nothing. So, I filled up with a tank of Chevron Regular and am watching to see if this helps any. I don't think this will completely solve the problem, but it may help. I was using fuel from Costco and Sams pretty exclusively. I did get 24.5 MPG @ 75 mph on my way back into town, which is the best I've seen.

Brian
    Hello Brian,

I am sorry to hear that the dealership was unable to find anything relating to the pinging noise that you are experiencing. If you are still concerned about the noise, I would be more than happy to contact the dealership you were working with to speak with them about this. Please feel free to private message us, or send us an email at socialmedia@gm.com if you would like to further discuss this concern. If you choose to email us, please be sure to include “ATTN GREG” in the subject line so that it gets delivered straight to me. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

voodoo2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX

Just purchased a 2014 SRX, after ~1,000 miles there's a noticeable ping when accelerating. Took it to the dealership, they are no help. Can someone provide an update on their experience with this? Would love to know what the fix was?

I'm surprised you can hear hear anything with all the insulation. I cant really hear anything outside!
    If there is a ping, the computer captures it. Even OBD-II has knock sensor values in it. Sometimes what people hear is the noise of the injectors at a longer duration. But knock is cut and dried, either its in the computer or not...

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

It is 'normal' operation. (Unless anyone has any different experiences)
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

SRXyz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX
    I hear it on mine when it is warm outside also but they are so faint that it would be easy for a tech to claim he can't hear it, so I'm not wasting my time with it unless it gets worse. I also hear it on my two Fords, but not my wife's Lexus, although the Lexus manual said that some light pinging is normal.

njacobsen is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX AWD Premium, Xenon Blue, 20" Chrome

My 2013 SRX Premium was making a "rattling" noise under light acceleration from a low speed turn that I believed was pinging muffled by all of the insulation built into the engine and under the hood. I first had the TCM reprogram for lag during acceleration which did not help decrease the noise while it did improve gear selection during those low speed turns.

I tried higher octane fuel and I am continuing to use Premium BP or another Top Tier when traveling. While the Top Tier will not clean the intake runners or valves because of Direct Injection, it will keep the injectors clean.

I took it back to the dealer specifically for the "ping", but they could not find anything or hear the noise. They wanted me to drive it for a while at which point I insisted I would wait while they contact GM TAC for similar symptoms. While the technician was on-hold waiting for TAC, he was looking over the underside of the vehicle and noticed a bad universal joint (AWD vehicle). The SRX drive train does not lend itself to replacing universal joints and requires and entire drive-shaft replacement. I took a week to get the drive shaft assembly, but that resolved the rattling noise.

After the drive shaft replacement, I went back to get the ECM fix for improved acceleration from a stop (Service Update 14183 for 2013 SRX's) which further enhanced performance.

I am continuing to use premium fuel because I am so happy with the new level of performance and no more rattle. The traditional ping us old timers have become very accustomed to over the years of carburetor and various injector configurations is an entirely different environment with Direct Injection. The fuel is injected at precisely the time it is needed for combustion and does not have much of a chance for pre-ignition or pinging. I suspect octane of gasoline has some affect because the flame front progresses at a lower rate with higher octane fuel, but can probably be well controlled with the knock sensors in the new DI engines. There are some DI engines such as my 2014 StingRay that require Premium, but it has a 11.5:1 compression ratio. It would be nice to be able to watch the timing pull-back while driving to see the actual performance improvement or lack thereof using higher octane fuel.

several years ago I bought a hand held scanner (before the laptop ones available now). I havent updated the firmware since new, but it still does base OBD-II just fine. I havent tried it lately, but I'm pretty sure I remember ignition timing being part of that base data set.

Marcuse12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 2009

My 2013 SRX has pinging similar to what you have described. Better with premium gas. Haven't bothered to take it to the dealer, doubt they would be able to help.

njacobsen is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX AWD Premium, Xenon Blue, 20" Chrome

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuse12 View Post
    My 2013 SRX has pinging similar to what you have described. Better with premium gas. Haven't bothered to take it to the dealer, doubt they would be able to help.
    You don't know unless you go to see them. Read my post #27 and then go talk with the Service Manager with the back-ground information. I have went back to using ECO mode after posting that information. I like the way the ECO mode after the TCM/ECM updates shifts at lower RPM and uses engine torque more effectively for acceleration. I am continuing to use Premium Top Tier gasoline and will likely not change back unless I learn something about the DI engine that warrants experimentation. Premium costs about $.40 more per gallon, but an extra $5 or $6 each fill is a small cost for performance expected of a Cadillac.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.