Cadillac Owners Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2013 srx gas pedal question

45K views 221 replies 39 participants last post by  TheCaptain 
#1 ·
I have 2013 srx luxury fwd with 1100 miles on it -- Today I had something happen that really concerned me. I was stopped at a light and went to turn right --but upon depressing the gas pedal there was no movement at all. I had to punch the pedal very hard before it barely moved. I took it straight to the dealer and they said that I probably had somehow simultaneously hit the gas and brake and this would cause it to not move forward. This was a safety mechanism in place as a result of the toyota accelerator sticking and that if it happened again to use my other foot to lift up on the gas pedal or to turn off the traction control. Does this sound right?

#2 ·
Hello mjf,

I apologize that you experienced this in your SRX. I would be more than happy to forward this question to an internal resource of mine in regards to this question. I will respond to you via private message tomorrow with the response I receive back from them. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#7 ·
While we all appreciate your time/help - with an issue like this would it not make more sense to post the answer to his question here so we could all benefit from the info? That is, after all, what forums like this are all about.

Just a thought. :D

#9 ·
While we all appreciate your time/help - with an issue like this would it not make more sense to post the answer to his question here so we could all benefit from the info? That is, after all, what forums like this are all about.

Just a thought. :D
Hello davedogcaddy,

I’m glad you appreciate our assistance we provide on the forum! We treat our customer’s concerns on a case by case basis and use private messages as a way to protect our customer’s privacy and info. Mjf didn’t have to send me any information in this instance, but if he would have, I was already speaking to him privately. It is easier for us to respond quickly and more personalized if we respond through a private message as well. Going back to the case by case basis, if you were experiencing the same concern, the answer I gave him might not apply to you. I do understand everyone else benefitting from the info and I do apologize that we do tend to work privately more often than not for those reasons. I do see that mjf has responded with my response (Thanks!), so if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to private message me! Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

----------

I got my response from cadillac cust service and they said that they agreed with what the dealership told me and that if it happens again and I know that I didn't have a foot on both the brake and the gas pedal they would help me w/ the dealership if I needed it.

What concerns me is that I only drive with my right foot so I don't see how I could have a foot on both the gas pedal and brake.
Hello mjf,

I know that I have touched both pedals on accident before. You will be more aware of the situation now and if you experience this issue again, we will be able to tell that this is a different issue. Thank you very much for your time. Please keep us updated on the situation.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#4 ·
I know this is OT, but it is scary how many people drive with both feet. I know how older people developed this dangerous bad habit. I see no reason nowadays with modern brakes and hill hold/assist to ever use both feet while driving. However, I see it every day with even young drivers going down the road with the brakes activated.

#5 ·
'12CTSman said:
I know this is OT, but it is scary how many people drive with both feet. I know how older people developed this dangerous bad habit. I see no reason nowadays with modern brakes and hill hold/assist to ever use both feet while driving. However, I see it every day with even young drivers going down the road with the brakes activated.
I had to break myself of that habit. I'm under 50 but was too lazy to move my right foot. Glad I stopped.

#14 ·
Older people do not just develop this habit. Using both feet is a hold over from the days that they drove cars without automatic transmissions and used both feet. It is easy to spot these people as their brake lights keep going on and off with no apparent reason. Now, just what is "scary" and "dangerous bad habit" about this practise ? ?????????????????????? Sometimes my enter key will not work on this forum????? Anybody else have this problem? George

#16 ·
and overheated brakes?

Not to be argumentative, but I think people who learned to drive manual transmissions are BETTER at using right foot for brake/accel. They're used to having their left foot hovering over the clutch. I am 50 and found that people who learned in my era tended to use left foot on brake because they had never dealt with a clutch...
And I dont consider myself 'older'. :tisk: Maybe just older than 40.

#17 ·
Huey Driver said:
and overheated brakes?

Not to be argumentative, but I think people who learned to drive manual transmissions are BETTER at using right foot for brake/accel. They're used to having their left foot hovering over the clutch. I am 50 and found that people who learned in my era tended to use left foot on brake because they had never dealt with a clutch...
And I dont consider myself 'older'. :tisk: Maybe just older than 40.
I agree with Huey Driver and Adamjeeps.

#19 ·
New 2013 SRX Problem

Has anyone has this problem? The wife is following me home from the dealer with the new car. Wife said to me when we got home, there is something wrong with the car. When I stopped at the stop sign, I stepped on the gas pedal and the car moved forward about two feet into the intersection and stopped. I stepped on the gas pedal harder and nothing happened. I placed my foot on the brake and then back to the gas pedal and the car moved. Ok now the stupid part, I said, what did you do? All of the married man out there can relate to my comment. Now two weeks later I am driving the car and we are at the same intersection. Same thing happens to me. Ok maybe there is a problem. I turn around and go back to the intersection several times. Nothing happens. Several weeks later it happens again to the wife when she is pulling out of the driveway. In all three cases there is no check engine light or any other indicator that there is a problem. Now the car is at the service department. Service calls me yesterday and said we can’t find anything wrong with the car. Need help so I can tell the service department what to look at.

#24 ·
I am sorry you are experiencing issues with your SRX, NewCaddysrx. I understand your frustration with not having this issue located by the service department at the dealer. If you would like to further discuss your situation with us, please reach out via private message. Gregory and I monitor the Cadillac forums and are here to assist. In the message please provide your contact information, VIN, current mileage and the name and location of the dealer you have worked with.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

----------

A couple of times I've noticed that when coming to a "rolling" stop, when stepping on the gas to proceed it seems like very little power is available right away and there is some delay between when stepping on the accelerator and the car actually begins to accelerate. It almost seems as of the transmission hadn't quite completed its downshift to 1st gear and it attempts to take off in 2nd and doesn't get enought torque to the wheels to pull the car like normal. I usually drive in "ECO" mode, so I don't know if that aggrivates this behaviour (slower downshifts?).
Hello JohnnyBzSRX,

I am sorry you are experiencing a delay of power with your gas pedal. If you would like to discuss this with us, please let us know so we can assist. We can help locate a nearby dealer and set up a vehicle diagnosis for you. Contact us via private message and include your contact information and VIN. We look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

#25 · (Edited)
Sorry about the delay getting back to you. YES this has happened to me multiple times (more than 5 times). I have been to the dealer with it 5 times with it but they only kept it twice. They offered to keep it or ride with me the other times but I did not see the point since the problem is intermittent. They keep telling me that it cannot be duplicated. I have even taken it straight to the dealer when it happened less than a mile from the dealer and did not turn the engine off (so it would not reset) and no code would pull up then. So frustrating. I am Very strongly considering getting rid of this car even though I will take a loss. I do not feel safe when this problem keeps occurring. I wish I could be more help.

#29 ·
Hello mjf,

I understand your frustration due to your current situation. I would like to further discuss this with you. Please contact me via private message and include your full contact information, VIN, current mileage and the name and location of the dealership you have been working with. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

#26 ·
I also have had this happen, although it only happened once. It was not me using both feet.. I was at a stop sign, and hit the gas to go, and nothing happened, pressed down harder and nothing happened, then the car lurched forward. Was kinda scary. I did not remember if there were any warnings on the dash. It has not happened again, and I completely forgot about it when I took it in for the first 7500mi service.

#27 ·
I have noticed a lack of power when accelerating from a low speed turn such as driving in traffic. When JohnnyBzSRX mentioned always driving in ECO mode I decided to experiment because our SRX is also always in ECO mode. After his post I turned off ECO and have been very pleased with the performance change in non-ECO mode. It has been more than a week and I have not experienced the same lack of acceleration experienced in ECO mode which is likely due to the modified transmission shift points and fuel management when decelerating and the transition to acceleration. I do not know all of the details for ECO mode, but I recall reading that it includes an aggressive fuel cutoff during deceleration and I know the transmission upshifts at lower RPM's and likely downshifts at lower relative speeds.

I keep track of all gasoline purchases and a running calculation for fuel mileage. I will be able to compare the fuel economy with and without ECO mode.

#30 ·
Thank you for sharing this information, njacobsen. I am glad you have been pleased with the performance change in non-ECO mode. I apologize for difficulties with acceleration you and others experienced while in ECO mode. Don't hesitate to contact us via private message if you ever need assistance.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

#32 ·
Laura,
My car is currently at the dealership so I do not have the vin. It is back in for the lack of acceleration again. Last week it had the lack of acceleration at an intersection again (scary). I do not use eco mode at all. It has 2900ish miles on it.

#33 ·
Hello mjf,

Thank you for letting me know. Please keep me updated after you hear back from your dealer again.

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Humm I have also had this issue and it could be very dangerous getting stuck in the middle of a turn, in the turning lane with on coming traffic, they really need to look into this and come up with a fix before somebody gets into an accident!!!!! I have a 2013 SRX luxury 2300 miles it has happen to me at least three times :-(
I am sorry you are experiencing an acceleration issue with your 2013 SRX, ezed1. I understand your concern for this. Have you brought your vehicle into your dealer yet? I would like to assist you while working with the dealer. Please private message me and include your full contact information, VIN and current mileage. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

#34 ·
well, I talked with the dealer today and they cannot duplicate the acceleration problem at this time. However, they were able to duplicate one of my other problems--the seat vibrating and the red light in the windshield blinking, and braking when there is nothing in close proximity. Hopefully that will be fixed on this trip.

#36 ·
Ok here is the latest--they think they have found the solution to the hesitation, lack of acceleration, and the seat vibrating/car braking with nothing around--they said that the front camera that feeds into the main computer was loose and that it could be causing all of the above because it thought there was something there when there wasn't and the computer would not allow any acceleration. Hopefully, this will be the fix.

#39 ·
:banghead:Well it is back in the shop again for lack of acceleration, seat vibrating/brakes applying for no reason, and for the bluetooth not working correctly. They say the code for a camera is pulling up this time and that my iphone 5s is not compatable. This is the last time I am taking it in before I file for a LEMON LAW RETURN. This is absolutely ridiculous. I have had the car since July and it has been in the shop over 5 times and NONE of the problems are resolved. THe dealership has been doing their best to reslove the problem but I am convinced that this is a LEMON.

#40 ·
Hello mjf,

I apologize that you are still experiencing issues with your SRX. I completely understand the frustration with reoccurring issues. I definitely would like to look into your situation for you. Could you provide us with your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership you are working with in a private message so we can look further into the situation? I hope to hear from you soon.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#43 ·
mjf,

I purchased a brand new 2013 SRX in July. At 3100 miles I had a very similar experience that you explained in the this forum. At a stop light I was turning right. The car pushed me forward into the intersection and then I lost acceleration for 5-7 seconds. At this point I could push the gas pedal to the floor and the car would not respond. The car stalled. After 5-7 seconds the car 're-engaged' and the gas pedal responded. Since then it has happened about 10 times, currently 6100 miles. In my most recent experience I was almost hit by a car going 50+ mph while I was making a right on red. This left me shook-up and prompted me to take the car to the dealership immediately.

The dealer 'test drove' the car for about a week and 'could not replicate' the problem. They want me to take the car back because they say there is not a problem. THIS CAR IS A DEATH TRAP and I am unwilling to compromise my safety because they cannot solve the problem. You seem to be further along in the process and I would like to know it you have reached a solution or where this problem stands.

I was told BY THE DEALER to file a formal complaint and seek legal advice.

Thanks

#53 · (Edited)
I just got my srx back a little over a week ago they replaced the camera that controls the proximity sensor.(they said a camera code popped up). However, this did not remedy the situation--it did it again Friday. I will be seeking legal advice next week (the problem has occurred too many times). I too feel like this is a safety issue as I have almost been in numerous accidents as a result of this malfunction.

#44 ·
Blackngold
i'm curious do you switch from econo on/off to manual shift ,sports mode, etc alot? i ask because it seems like since i've taken it off econo mode and don't manual shift at all i havent had the problem reoccur, -------yet that is :-/ also so when down shifting it speeds up for a second or two and i dont like that at all!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.