2013 srx gas pedal question - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, 2013 srx gas pedal question in Cadillac SRX Forums; Tina, I have had the loss of acceleration occur when I let the car warm up and when I did ...
    mjf
    mjf is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): srx 2013

Re: 2013 srx gas pedal question

Tina,
    I have had the loss of acceleration occur when I let the car warm up and when I did not let it warm up. My daily commute is less than 15 miles so for me it has always occurred in a short distance drive. I can truly say the problem is intermittent and so far I have not found a pattern as to when it will occur. It occurred again last thurs. as I was turning right out of a parking lot.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

crump13 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Performance Black Raven/Ebony w/Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    Tina,
    I have had the loss of acceleration occur when I let the car warm up and when I did not let it warm up. My daily commute is less than 15 miles so for me it has always occurred in a short distance drive. I can truly say the problem is intermittent and so far I have not found a pattern as to when it will occur. It occurred again last thurs. as I was turning right out of a parking lot.
    Thanks for the feedback MJF!!

When you had the incident last Thursday, did you come to a complete stop before turning right or was it a rolling stop and how long had the car been running? 5 minutes or less? When my incident happened, I was turning right as well and I believe I did a rolling "stop" at the sign. There were a few cars in front of me that had fully stopped at the stop sign and I had fully stopped behind them but as I approached the stop sign I didn't come to a complete stop and I proceeded to turn right and in the midst of that turn is when I lost acceleration.

I know I am asking a lot of questions but I am just trying to connect the dots to see if there is some sort of pattern. And the Cadillac service departments are unable to figure it out if they can't recreate it, so that put more of the work in our court in order to try and put the pieces together. An intermittent problem will be next to impossible to fix unless we can get someone that has this happening more frequently set up with a data recorder in their vehicle where we can capture the exact incident when it happens.

Have you talked to your dealership about having them put a data recorder in your car? Form the way my service manager explained it, it will sit in your cup holder and plug in to your car and when the incident happens all you do is push a button on the recorder and it saves the data about the car and what was running or not running at that exact moment.

~Tina~

georule is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury AWD Silver Coast Metallic

This may have happened to me once as well. Making a left at a 4-way. Came to a complete stop. When it was my turn to go, basically car didn't go when I took my foot off the brake and pushed down on the gas. This was a few weeks back, so I don't recall what I did to clear it for sure, but I think it was take my foot off the gas entirely and try again.

But only happened once (so far) in five months and 8,500 miles of driving. I'm not terribly concerned or complaining, just thought I'd share my experience on the thread since it might be related.

Maxplot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium ATS 3.6 - Crystal Red, 2013 SRX Platinum Ice

My last car was an Infiniti G37 and I would have loss of acceleration turning as well, so I don't think it is just Cadillac.

Has anyone noticed if during their turn, if they felt the tires slip? Could this be a traction control issue? Has anyone noticed this while driving on snow/ice?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxplot View Post
    My last car was an Infiniti G37 and I would have loss of acceleration turning as well, so I don't think it is just Cadillac.

Has anyone noticed if during their turn, if they felt the tires slip? Could this be a traction control issue? Has anyone noticed this while driving on snow/ice?
    There was no instability or traction control issue with the tires when my incident ocurred.

~Tina~

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Here's a question for anyone having this 'gas pedal issue'.

What is your steering wheel angle when you press the gas? (Use centre as 0*) 45*? 90*?
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    Here's a question for anyone having this 'gas pedal issue'.

What is your steering wheel angle when you press the gas? (Use centre as 0*) 45*? 90*?
    I was making a right hand turn so I was some where between 45 and 90. Probably closer to 90 at the time I lost acceleration.

~Tina~

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Well, it may or may not be the cause of your problem, but I know Stabilitrack monitors steering wheel position, each wheel speed, and vehicle yaw sensors.

Through my own 'experimentation', Stabilitrack does not like the vehicle making sudden or abrupt starts with the wheel turned more then (apx) 50*. It will also give no indication of Stabilitrack coming on, it just totally doesn't let the throttle activate (no matter how much you stab the pedal). I've practiced a lot because I noticed going from my '10 to my '13 that the Stabilitrack is way more intrusive on my '13 then the '10. It's a weird control measure, but it comes in handy in winter, rather than punching it and sliding straight into whatever is in front of you, it just doesn't release any throttle until the wheel is unwound some, or it will lightly (barely) add throttle.

Test out the situation (in an empty parking lot). I've done it numerous times in both model years i've owned.
    Come to a complete stop, turn the wheel 90* right or left, and floor the gas pedal. Nothing happens. Until you unwind the wheel or back off the throttle.

Now this may or may not be your issue, but I do know Stabilitrack intervenes more than I would like it to, for my driving style anyway. (can't have any fun in winter)

PS: The SRX doesn't like aggressive, repeat starts and stops, or a sharp start after a stop, it confuses the yaw sensor, which in turn activates Stabilitrack, which limits throttle to the engine.
    Huey Driver and crump13 like this.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Maxplot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium ATS 3.6 - Crystal Red, 2013 SRX Platinum Ice

Well, it may or may not be the cause of your problem, but I know Stabilitrack monitors steering wheel position, each wheel speed, and vehicle yaw sensors.

Through my own 'experimentation', Stabilitrack does not like the vehicle making sudden or abrupt starts with the wheel turned more then (apx) 50*. It will also give no indication of Stabilitrack coming on, it just totally doesn't let the throttle activate (no matter how much you stab the pedal). I've practiced a lot because I noticed going from my '10 to my '13 that the Stabilitrack is way more intrusive on my '13 then the '10. It's a weird control measure, but it comes in handy in winter, rather than punching it and sliding straight into whatever is in front of you, it just doesn't release any throttle until the wheel is unwound some, or it will lightly (barely) add throttle.

Test out the situation (in an empty parking lot). I've done it numerous times in both model years i've owned.
    Come to a complete stop, turn the wheel 90* right or left, and floor the gas pedal. Nothing happens. Until you unwind the wheel or back off the throttle.

Now this may or may not be your issue, but I do know Stabilitrack intervenes more than I would like it to, for my driving style anyway. (can't have any fun in winter)

PS: The SRX doesn't like aggressive, repeat starts and stops, or a sharp start after a stop, it confuses the yaw sensor, which in turn activates Stabilitrack, which limits throttle to the engine.
    This is why I brought up the question about Stabilitrack due to winter driving in my ATS. My ATS will kill the throttle when the tires start slipping. It made me think of my wife's SRX incident where she had to slam on the brakes to avoid a car, and when she tried to go again the throttle was not active for a few seconds. My wife was going straight when her SRX throttle would not respond so steering angle would be zero in her case. I would think that if the tires slipped on sand or water, stabillitrack could kick in too.

When the incident happened to me, I applied the gas as I normally would and not in an accelerated or an abrupt fashion as you describe when the Stabilitrack would typically activate. It does make sense how you describe the function of the Stabilitrack and if the Stabilitrack did engage even though I applied the gas normally and the roads were dry and my tires didn't spin, then it engaged in error.

When I first applied the gas it did move me slowely into the road in the midst of my turn and then stopped responding completely. When it finally started to respond I was pressing the gas pedal all the way down at that time and the front wheels spun and squealed. I would think that Stabilitrack would have kicked in then since I had it floored and the wheel was turned. Maybe this is a Stabilitrack issue engaging in error or something. So far that is the only thing that has been mentioned that is designed to disable the gas pedal, so it is likely Stabilitrack is malfuctioning.

~Tina~

MIJennifer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury model

Thank you for responding and with the directions for next steps.

Unfortunately I have the opposite scenario repeat itself. It has happened 4 times to me and once to my husband between October and December of this year. Mine is always at the end of an hour drive on the freeway home from work daily at high rates of speed and other than the duration of time experienced in the loss of acceleration, it does somewhat mirror the rest of the description provided in the bulletin. Everything works fine until that last 10 minutes of my drive when there are full stops involved (we have a lot of round-abouts in our area that prevent the need to come to a full stop until the last 10 minutes of the drive at particular intersections). Car is completely warmed up and there was no severe weather conditions attributing to the situations.

Quote Originally Posted by MIJennifer View Post

Unfortunately I have the opposite scenario repeat itself. It has happened 4 times to me and once to my husband between October and December of this year. Mine is always at the end of an hour drive on the freeway home from work daily at high rates of speed and other than the duration of time experienced in the loss of acceleration, it does somewhat mirror the rest of the description provided in the bulletin. Everything works fine until that last 10 minutes of my drive when there are full stops involved (we have a lot of round-abouts in our area that prevent the need to come to a full stop until the last 10 minutes of the drive at particular intersections). Car is completely warmed up and there was no severe weather conditions attributing to the situations.
    Thanks for the update and it is interesting that you are having this issue at the end of your commute home verse that beginning of your commute.

I agree that the technical bulletin that mine and your service manager provided describes the issue that is very close to what we are experiencing (other than the length of time we have the loss of acceleration) but the bulletin is stating .05-.07 of a second loss in acceleration is "normal" and built in to the car. We are experiencing up to 100x greater loss of acceleration so that can't be considered "normal" behavior for the car. That type of loss of acceleration will get someone killed, which is why my service manager is not chalking my issue up in the same category as that bulletin since the timing is WAY off and your service manager shouldn't either.

I would like to put all those service managers that are saying this is normal behavior in my car and turn on a busy road and stop the car in the middle of the turn and just sit there for 4 - 5 seconds before moving and see how they like the feeling of being a sitting duck while a car is barreling down on you and see if they think it is "normal" behavior for a car to do that.

~Tina~

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by MIJennifer View Post

Hello MIJennifer,

I apologize for the vehicle concern you are experiencing. I would like the opportunity to further discuss your situation. Please send me a private message that includes your full contact information, VIN and dealership name and location. I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

canada is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac SRX Luxury

Hello,

Are any of you experiencing this issue from Canada or all you all from the US? We are located in Canada and have experienced this issue twice thus far. We are beyond frustrated as the service advisor is telling us this is normal and that GM instructs them not to fix this issue. The thing is, the criteria in the bulletin has not been met in our case, as with a lot of you. In the two incidents we have experienced, there was absolutely no aggressive braking or aggressive acceleration. The gas pedal was completely incapacitated for approx. 3-5 seconds each time. During the first occurrence I was accelerating slowly moving forward from a stop sign in a school zone mere meters from my daughters school. Another was when I was turning left on a green light and this was very scary as I was turning into oncoming traffic. Both times I had my daughter in the car and was taking her to school. This is extremely unsettling and it makes me not even want to drive the SRX anymore. We have had our car for almost a year now and this has only happened recently. Our car is currently at the dealership and we are going to go to speak to them today when we pick it up to see what else can be done. Simply telling us this is "normal" and sending us on our way is totally unacceptable when this is clearly a safety issue.

Quote Originally Posted by canada View Post
    Hello,

Are any of you experiencing this issue from Canada or all you all from the US? We are located in Canada and have experienced this issue twice thus far. We are beyond frustrated as the service advisor is telling us this is normal and that GM instructs them not to fix this issue. The thing is, the criteria in the bulletin has not been met in our case, as with a lot of you. In the two incidents we have experienced, there was absolutely no aggressive braking or aggressive acceleration. The gas pedal was completely incapacitated for approx. 3-5 seconds each time. During the first occurrence I was accelerating slowly moving forward from a stop sign in a school zone mere meters from my daughters school. Another was when I was turning left on a green light and this was very scary as I was turning into oncoming traffic. Both times I had my daughter in the car and was taking her to school. This is extremely unsettling and it makes me not even want to drive the SRX anymore. We have had our car for almost a year now and this has only happened recently. Our car is currently at the dealership and we are going to go to speak to them today when we pick it up to see what else can be done. Simply telling us this is "normal" and sending us on our way is totally unacceptable when this is clearly a safety issue.
    Canada,

I completely understand the feeling of helplessness when this happens and turning left with oncoming traffic is my worst fear of this happening to me. So far I have only had the one experience of this issue. When this happened was it early into your commute/drive within a few miles of starting up and taking off?

I hope someone can find a fix for this as it definitely takes the joy out of driving/owning a Cadillac.

~Tina~

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.