2013 srx gas pedal question - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, 2013 srx gas pedal question in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by mjf I feel the same way. I just filed my complaint with the nhtsa. Thank you for ...
    crump13 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Performance Black Raven/Ebony w/Ebony

Re: 2013 srx gas pedal question

Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    I feel the same way. I just filed my complaint with the nhtsa.
    Thank you for submitting your complaint!! I appreciate everyone's effort in reporting this issue.

~Tina~
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Asmpprincess View Post
    I have a 2013 SRX and I have acceleration issues no one can correct. The car will begin to go and then just stop! I literally almost got his by a car about 30 minutes ago. I have already taken the care into the dealer up here in Roseville, Ca and they cannot duplicate the problem. I called the dealership to let them know the problem happened again, almost resulting in an accident and they said the only thing they can do is drive the car until it happens! WORST CAR EVER. I'm going to trade it in if no one will fix it. Not worth my safety!!!!
    Hello Kelly,

I apologize that you are experiencing this concern with your STX as well. Do you currently have a case with our Customer Care team? If not, I would be more than happy to assist you in starting one so we can document your concern as well. Please feel free to private message me or email me at socialmedia@gm.com with “ATTN GREG” in the subject line. I would need your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership you have been working with.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

I picked up my SRX from the shop today after work. They were unable to duplicate the loss of acceleration but I figured that would be the case since this is an intermittent issue.

I had a chance to talk with my service manager and he is doing everything he can to resolve this issue. I printed out this thread a week and a half ago and gave it to them when I left my car for service and he reviewed all the posts. I advised that there has been two additional reports in the time that they have had my car. He will be talking to the SRX team in Cadillac again tomorrow to advise them of this issue and that there continues to be additional reports coming in on this forum.

Since they were unable to duplicate this issue, I will be going back on Monday to have the data recorder installed in my car and as I drive my SRX if I experience the loss of acceleration again then I will hit the button and record everything that was going on in my car at that moment. I truly hope this will work and we can figure out what is causing this. I love my SRX and want to feel completely comfortable driving it and feel that joy I had before this incident of owning a Cadillac.

I will keep y'all posted and for those that are still experiencing this issue, please consider filing a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration as this is our only means of showing a trend with this safety issue. GM truly needs to jump on this issue.

~Tina~

NHTSA https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

Maxplot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium ATS 3.6 - Crystal Red, 2013 SRX Platinum Ice

Tina, how many times has it happened to you? So far, we have just had the one incident that I previously posted about. I have tried to duplicate with no luck. I'm wondering if a tank of bad gas could have caused the temporary hesitation in our case.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxplot View Post
    Tina, how many times has it happened to you? So far, we have just had the one incident that I previously posted about. I have tried to duplicate with no luck. I'm wondering if a tank of bad gas could have caused the temporary hesitation in our case.
    It has only happened to me once. I just purchased the car Oct 31st and there was only 1521 miles on the car when it happened. I took it to the shop that Monday (it happened on Thanksgiving day) and they had my car ever since until today after work. It has happened to some folks on her 5 to 10 times so I'm not sure it is related to the fuel. Also, if it was fuel related i have the same fuel in my tank now as i did when it happened. I only had about 30 miles on my tank when it had happened and the service department has had my car ever since and they didn't put any fuel in it and they could not get it to occur again. Thanks for the suggestion. Quite honestly, any suggestion is viable at this point. :-)

When it happened to you, how long had you been driving your car for the day? Did it happen shortly after you started driving the car for that day or after you had been driving it for a while?

I have a thought that it might have something to so with the brake sensor not functioning properly all the time. If the brake is pushed there is a sensor there that is suppose to disable the accelerator (I believe). So if that sensor is malfunctioning on occasion it could cause the loss of acceleration. In every event there was a loss of acceleration just after letting off of the brake. I could be grasping at straws here but there could be some relation. Any of the more mechanically inclined folks on this forum, please jump in here and provide your thoughts. :-)

~Tina~

As an FYI, my car was built in May 2013. I was able to get that information off the sticker on the driver side door sill (not on the door itself). It's a silver sticker on the lower right while facing the open driver's door.

For those that have experienced this issue, can you take a look and see the build date of your SRX? It will only provide a month and year. This is still all part of my analysis of this issue.

Thanks!!

~Tina~

'12CTSman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 SRX AWD Premium
    There are only a few situations when your SRX will not move when you depress the accelerator. They are: 1) Tranny in park or neutral. 2) Power braking. 3) Fuel starvation. 4) ECM override for excessive RPMs. 5) Tranny problem (back in the day it was caused by slipping bands)

My best guess is that the alleged problem is being caused by fuel starvation from a faulty gas tank pickup and/or fuel pump. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by '12CTSman View Post
    There are only a few situations when your SRX will not move when you depress the accelerator. They are: 1) Tranny in park or neutral. 2) Power braking. 3) Fuel starvation. 4) ECM override for excessive RPMs. 5) Tranny problem (back in the day it was caused by slipping bands)

My best guess is that the alleged problem is being caused by fuel starvation from a faulty gas tank pickup and/or fuel pump. Just my two cents.
    Just a thought but wouldn't fuel starvation kill the engine and not just disable the gas pedal/throttle? Again, I have very limited knowledge but just thinking how my motorcycle acted when my fuel pump was periodically acting up and it killed my engine every time it acted up due to fuel starvation.

~Tina~

Tina, our SRX was manufactured 6/28/2013. We purchased it two weeks after you, 11/14/2013. When our "lack of acceleration" event happened, we had just test driven it, and were driving it home after we bought it. A car ran a stop light in front of my wife driving the SRX. The light turned green and the car that ran the light was still in the intersection, but my wife did not see it. She started accelerating, and just when the car was right in front of her, she saw it and slammed on the brakes. From start to stop, maybe 1 second. SRX moved only about 3 feet. After car cleared, she said the SRX accelerator would not respond. The engine was running, but would not go. This lasted for about 3-5 seconds. (I was behind her in my car so that is about what I saw).

I went to a parking lot a couple days later to try to reproduce this. From a dead stop, I accelerated for 1 second and slammed on the brakes, then try to accelerate. It worked fine. I have not been able to reproduce this problem. Although we have a Performance trim SRX and do not have the automatic braking feature, we do have Forward Collision Alert. I am wondering if Forward Collision Alert deactivates the throttle during the alert. I wish an SRX engineer would chime in on this.

So far, after 520 additional miles, the acceleration problem has not happened again and I can't reproduce it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxplot View Post
    Tina, our SRX was manufactured 6/28/2013. We purchased it two weeks after you, 11/14/2013. When our "lack of acceleration" event happened, we had just test driven it, and were driving it home after we bought it. A car ran a stop light in front of my wife driving the SRX. The light turned green and the car that ran the light was still in the intersection, but my wife did not see it. She started accelerating, and just when the car was right in front of her, she saw it and slammed on the brakes. From start to stop, maybe 1 second. SRX moved only about 3 feet. After car cleared, she said the SRX accelerator would not respond. The engine was running, but would not go. This lasted for about 3-5 seconds. (I was behind her in my car so that is about what I saw).

I went to a parking lot a couple days later to try to reproduce this. From a dead stop, I accelerated for 1 second and slammed on the brakes, then try to accelerate. It worked fine. I have not been able to reproduce this problem. Although we have a Performance trim SRX and do not have the automatic braking feature, we do have Forward Collision Alert. I am wondering if Forward Collision Alert deactivates the throttle during the alert. I wish an SRX engineer would chime in on this.

So far, after 520 additional miles, the acceleration problem has not happened again and I can't reproduce it.
    Thanks for the info. I do recall your original post describing what had happened. Looks like we have a month difference in our build dates. Do you recall how long (time or mile wise) from the dealership where that incident occurred? Was it 5 miles from the dealership or more? I really think it has something to do with the brake somehow and maybe early in one's journey (within 10 miles or less of driving). I had only gone 1.5 miles from starting my car when it happened.

Thanks for the update.

~Tina~

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

I can assure you, forward collision alert does not affect the throttle at all.

(I am not an SRX Engineer, i've just thoroughly tested the SRX's systems)
    crump13 likes this.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Tina, my wife was only about a mile away from the dealership.
    crump13 likes this.

Kelly and MJF,

When you both experienced the loss of acceleration, how long had you been driving the car before it happened? Was it shortly after starting it for the day or after a long period of sitting and within a 5-10 miles it happened? I am starting to think it happens within the first few minutes of driving after the car has sat for a bit. If that is the case, i am not sure how helpful that type of information is with trying to troubleshoot this issue but I know that it makes me feel a little more comfortable driving when after the first 10 minutes or so this issue hasn't happened. It might be a false sense of comfort as I still drive with the expectation that whenever I stop and then start to go that I will lose acceleration and I won't take off with a lot of traffic. Also, I have a bad habit of starting the car and then going right away and not letting it warm up for a minute before driving off. I have been more conscious of this and sitting for a minute in the morning and after it has sat for a bit before I take off. Not sure if that has helped or not. We all have different driving habits which could be way this is intermittent and not happening all the time.

~Tina~

MIJennifer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury model

I, too, am having the SAME issues described here with my 2013 SRX that I bought in June.

Unfortunately my dealership has provided me with a service bulletin that has the nerve to tell me that the engine does this BY DESIGN! There is a 0.5 sec or 0.7 sec delay in acceleration ability under certain conditions for is engine. Unfortunately that appears to be an average calculation as I was able to count to the end of "two-one-thousand" before the pedal and engine kicked back in just as a car almost hit me head on turning left in an intersection last month. I am very disappointed and clearly would have never entertained a vehicle purchase that was dangerous to drive me or my kids in on a daily basis as my long commute home on he freeway lends itself to replication of this scenario. It really needs attention by GM to remedy what I would call a defect that could cause fatalities if not addressed. I am not currently happy with the brand and miss my GMC Acadia, for which, I felt much safer driving.

Quote Originally Posted by MIJennifer View Post
    I, too, am having the SAME issues described here with my 2013 SRX that I bought in June.

Unfortunately my dealership has provided me with a service bulletin that has the nerve to tell me that the engine does this BY DESIGN! There is a 0.5 sec or 0.7 sec delay in acceleration ability under certain conditions for is engine. Unfortunately that appears to be an average calculation as I was able to count to the end of "two-one-thousand" before the pedal and engine kicked back in just as a car almost hit me head on turning left in an intersection last month. I am very disappointed and clearly would have never entertained a vehicle purchase that was dangerous to drive me or my kids in on a daily basis as my long commute home on he freeway lends itself to replication of this scenario. It really needs attention by GM to remedy what I would call a defect that could cause fatalities if not addressed. I am not currently happy with the brand and miss my GMC Acadia, for which, I felt much safer driving.
    MIJennifer,

I completely understand your concern along with others on this forum regarding the loss of acceleration. I posted the service bulletin your dealership referenced on post number 69 of this thread and uploaded a copy of the bulletin. The service manager at my dealership does not believe this bulletin describes the situation as the hesitation in acceleration described in the bulletin isn't nearly as long as what we are experiencing. I experienced a full 4 - 5 second complete loss of acceleration when I had my incident. So far I have been lucky and have only had one incident.

I have a few questions for you. Have you reported this to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration yet? If not, I would like to encourage you to file a safety complaint. The more complaints they receive the sooner an investigation or recall can be issued. Below is the information on how to file a complaint.

How to file a claim:

Via Web
    Begin online form (https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml )

Via Mail
    Request PDF form by email (https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/portable/index.cfm )

Via Phone
    File a Complaint for Child Seats, Tires, Equipment, Vehicles
    Monday-Friday (8 am to 8 pm ET)
    (888) 327-4236 TTY: (800) 424-9153

When this has happened to you, was it early on in your drive? Was it within 5 - 10 miles of you starting the car and taking off? Do you remember if you let the car warm up when your started it or did you just start it and put it in gear and then drove off?

I am asking these questions because I think the loss of acceleration seems to occur early on in ones drive just after starting the car within 5 or so miles and possibly without letting the car warm up for a few seconds before taking off.

When I start my car the gauges typically go through a sweeping pattern to the right and then to the left twice and I think if we don't sit and wait for that process to complete before we put it in gear to back up or move forward we will experience the issue some time within the first 5 miles of the drive. I believe I didn't let that gauge sweep process complete before I put it in reverse and backed up when my incident happened. I have not proven this as of yet, it is just my assumption as I am trying to gather data from everyone that has experienced this issue and I have asked some of these questions but have not received many responses yet but that is my first stab at it.

Even if this theory is right, I still have no clue what is not functioning to cause the loss of acceleration. But if we know how it happens we can change our habits so that it won't reoccur. Since i have had this notion, I have been very vigilant on letting the car complete the gauge sweep motion before putting the car in gear and it hasn't happened again for me. I am going to try to recreate the issue but I am waiting on the data recorder to be installed in my car before I tried it and I haven't heard back from my dealer yet to have that installed.

How many times has this happened to you?

~Tina~

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.