2013 srx gas pedal question - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, 2013 srx gas pedal question in Cadillac SRX Forums; Now that I've read more accounts of this problem, it reminds me of an issue we encountered w/ our '07 ...
    JohnnyBzSRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX FWD Performance - Xenon Blue / Shale-Brownstone

Re: 2013 srx gas pedal question

Now that I've read more accounts of this problem, it reminds me of an issue we encountered w/ our '07 Chrysler 300C a few years back. Exact same thing occurred to my wife, press the accel pedal and the car begins to move, but then just stumbles and sits there with no power to keep moving out into traffic. It scared her, but shortly after it happened a warning light on the dash came on indicating something was amiss with the throttle-by-wire system. She was able to get the car home but it didn't seem to have much power (like a limp-home mode kicked in). Took it to the dealer and they replaced the throttle position sensor (under warranty) which took care of the problem. Its been fine ever since.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

SRX "Black Box"

Even though this does not affect my vehicle, I've been following this thread out of concern for my fellow SRX owners. Here's something you all should know. Since the root of the problem has yet to be identified, in the event of an accident due to this anomaly, a police investigation may result in a conclusion of "driver error" being the cause. My 2010 has an Event Data Recorder, better known as a black box. I'm assuming GM continued this trend with subsequent models. It works in much that same way as the black boxes used by the airline industry. The section below is an excerpt from the owner's manual. All pertinent details surrounding a crash should be recorded by the EDR, and thereby available for review. Just something I think everyone should be aware of.

Event Data Recorders

This vehicle has an Event Data
    Recorder (EDR). The main purpose
    of an EDR is to record, in certain
    crash or near crash-like situations,
    such as an airbag deployment or
    hitting a road obstacle, data that will
    assist in understanding how a
    vehicle's systems performed. The
    EDR is designed to record data
    related to vehicle dynamics and
    safety systems for a short period of
    time, typically 30 seconds or less.
    The EDR in this vehicle is designed
    to record such data as:

. How various systems in your
    vehicle were operating
    . Whether or not the driver and
    passenger safety belts were
    buckled/fastened
    . How far, if at all, the driver was
    pressing the accelerator and/or
    brake pedal
    . How fast the vehicle was
    traveling

This data can help provide a better
    understanding of the circumstances
    in which crashes and injuries occur.

Important: EDR data is recorded
    by your vehicle only if a non-trivial
    crash situation occurs; no data is
    recorded by the EDR under normal
    driving conditions and no personal
    data (e.g., name, gender, age, and
    crash location) is recorded.
    However, other parties, such as law
    enforcement, could combine the
    EDR data with the type of
    personally identifying data routinely
    acquired during a crash
    investigation.

To read data recorded by an EDR,
    special equipment is required, and
    access to the vehicle or the EDR is
    needed. In addition to the vehicle
    manufacturer, other parties, such as
    law enforcement, that have the
    special equipment, can read the
    information if they have access to
    the vehicle or the EDR.
    crump13 likes this.

crump13 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Performance Black Raven/Ebony w/Ebony

I dropped my SRX off at the dealership after work today for them to check out the loss of acceleration issue that a few of us are experiencing on this forum. I printed out this thread and left it with the service adviser as a reference. I hope they can figure something out. I know this is a shot in the dark since the other dealers haven't been able to figure the issue out but I have to have faith that someone will figure this issue out, I just hope that it is soon and before I have to look into the Lemon Law act (after my 3rd service issue with this). As of now, I will not let my 4 year old niece or anyone else ride in my car until it is fixed. I will not put her or anyone else in a situation that could potentially harm them.

So as of now I am driving an ATS. Not sure how long I will have this loaner.

This is chapter 1 in my loss of acceleration saga.

~Tina~

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by crump13 View Post
    I dropped my SRX off at the dealership after work today for them to check out the loss of acceleration issue that a few of us are experiencing on this forum. I printed out this thread and left it with the service adviser as a reference. I hope they can figure something out. I know this is a shot in the dark since the other dealers haven't been able to figure the issue out but I have to have faith that someone will figure this issue out, I just hope that it is soon and before I have to look into the Lemon Law act (after my 3rd service issue with this). As of now, I will not let my 4 year old niece or anyone else ride in my car until it is fixed. I will not put her or anyone else in a situation that could potentially harm them.

So as of now I am driving an ATS. Not sure how long I will have this loaner.

This is chapter 1 in my loss of acceleration saga.

~Tina~
    Hello Tina,

I apologize you are experiencing an acceleration hesitation and I understand your concern for resolving this. Please send me a private message that includes your full contact information, VIN and dealer name and location. I would like to further discuss your situation with you.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hello Tina,

I apologize you are experiencing an acceleration hesitation and I understand your concern for resolving this. Please send me a private message that includes your full contact information, VIN and dealer name and location. I would like to further discuss your situation with you.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care
    Thanks Laura... PM sent. :-)

~Tina~

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Thanks Laura... PM sent. :-)

~Tina~
    You're welcome, Tina.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

I have been thinking about this issue more and more the last few days since it has happened to me and I decided to do some internet searches on SRX issues and there appeared to be a big issue with the stability control activating on the 2004 while driving on smooth flat roads like interstates. When it activated it would pushed the car to left or right (as if a strong wind was pushing the car) and would violently shake and this would happen while goin whatever speed you were going. Imagine having this occur at 70+ mph. I found a load of complaints on this issue and GM was not very helpful if at all to assist in the resolution if the problem. It appears that it did eventually get resolved as a bad traction control solenoid in the steering column and once replaced the issue was resolved but it took a LONG time based on the thread I read on Edmunds.com forum.

I know that issue has nothing to do with our issue going on here but my concern is I do not want to go through all the headache and frustration that all those folks did and it seems like with all the complaints so far we might be getting the same lack luster lip service that those other folks were getting when GM doesn't know how to fix an issue.

Since this is such a safety issue, I think we should all report each incident that we experience with this loss of acceleration to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/). This group will investigate all complaints and has the ability to request recalls on safety related issues if they receive enough complaints and what we are experiencing is definitely a safety related issue. This will take the issue out of GM's shop where it is now and hopefully get the attention it needs, to have it resolved. I have already reported my incident today and after I completed my complaint I did a search on complaints filed for the 2013 SRX and I found one complaint indicating an issue with the loss of acceleration. Since we have 7 or so other people on this thread that have experienced this and most of them have experienced this multiple times, I believe this might get some action from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration fairly quickly.

~Tina~
    ezed1 likes this.

SRX 2013 is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation

Our 2013 went to service at less than 1500 miles for the loss of acceleration problem. They replaced the gas peddle. Today at 3000 miles it did it again. It rained on both occasions. It's going back to service on monday. This is a serious and dangerous problem.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by SRX 2013 View Post
    Our 2013 went to service at less than 1500 miles for the loss of acceleration problem. They replaced the gas peddle. Today at 3000 miles it did it again. It rained on both occasions. It's going back to service on monday. This is a serious and dangerous problem.
    Barry
    Barry, I would recommend reporting it to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at this website https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ The more reports we have on this issue the sooner they will force a formal investigation of this issue and/or possibly a recall.

What month did you purchase your SRX? I am trying to narrow down a production month. As of now, the earliest report of this issue I have I been able to find is in August 2013 so I am guessing that 2013 SRXs produced in the 2 quarter are potentially the impacted vehicles but this is all a guess based on the research I have done on this so far. I could be totally off base. I still need to reach out to find out the actual production date of my SRX.

My service manager spoke to the actual guy in GM that designed the SRX and talked to him about this issue and let him know that there has been several complaints on this forum regarding the loss of acceleration and he talked about the attached document which described a sag or hesitation in acceleration of .5 - .7 seconds (so not even a full second) as normal characteristics of the engine. See the attached for full details. I let my service manager know that my LOSS of acceleration was a full 4 seconds at minimum.

My service manager is completely on board with me that this document doesn't describe my situation and he is still working to find a fix.

Thanks,

~Tina~

PIP4112M Sag On Acceleration 820131 p1.jpg PIP4112M Sag On Acceleration 820131 p2.jpg

njacobsen is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX AWD Premium, Xenon Blue, 20" Chrome

Tina,

You can see the month your SRX was built by opening the driver door and looking at the last numbers in the first row of the silver label down near the rocker panel. I have experienced the phenomena once since driving without ECO mode and my SRX was built 11/12...that is November 2012. I took delivery 28-Nov-2012 and had ordered my SRX. It makes no difference when the vehicle was purchased, it is the production date that determines the specifications of all components.
    crump13 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by njacobsen View Post
    Tina,

You can see the month your SRX was built by opening the driver door and looking at the last numbers in the first row of the silver label down near the rocker panel. I have experienced the phenomena once since driving without ECO mode and my SRX was built 11/12...that is November 2012. I took deliver 28-Nov-2012 and had ordered my SRX.
    Thanks for the info on how to see when my car was built. I will have to look at it when I get it back from the dealer.

I guess this blows my theory out of the water about it being vehicles built in the 2nd quarter of 2013. Do you recall when you first had this happen? Was it early in your ownership? I know you were using the ECO mode and when you stopped using it, it was thought that would resolve the issue and it didn't. Do you feel it is happening less often now that you aren't using ECO mode?

All I can hope is that everyone that has experienced this issue will report it to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ so that this issue gets noticed outside of GM and it forces a formal investigation. I think that will require GM to put a team together to work on this incident to figure out where the problem is.

I LOVE my SRX and I want it to be fixed for myself as well as everyone else that is experiencing this issue. I know there has to be many more people experiencing this that are not on this forum. This is probably more widespread of an issue then we think especial to have 8 people alone on this forum that are experiencing this.

I believe the service manager at my dealership is looking into this and is doing whatever he can to figure it out, but I don't feel that Corporate GM is committed to resolving this issue. The reason I believe that is when my service manager talked to the person that designed the SRX and knows everything there is to know about the SRX and it's programming, he had not even heard of this issue happening and referenced another document that described a .5 - .7 second hesitation issue as normal characteristics (see my previous post with attachment). If the dealerships of all the other folks on this thread that have been taking their SRXs to were doing their job right, you would have thought that this would have gotten back to that SRX designer but it had not. Especially the one person on this thread that has had their car in at least 10 times for this issue. Why hasn't that dealership contacted the SRX team and informed corporate GM of this issue? That is what's making me believe that these individual dealerships aren't on board with getting this resolved and corporate GM isn't either. Someone will eventually figure this out and I am just hoping it isn't months and months away and I am hoping it is before someone is hurt or worse.

~Tina~

I experienced the hesitation a couple of times when using ECO and once since that time. The incident without ECO was more severe and I think it may fall within the .5 to .7 second torque management cycles that are described in the bulletin you posted.

We have entered an era of "drive-by-wire" where the computer algorithims control throttle position to save the driveline causing the sensations we are experiencing. Your experience of 4 seconds or more is certainly beyond what should be expected or tolerated for hesitation on acceleration. I do not feel it should be necessary to design in .5 - .7 seconds either; but they have published that phenomena as normal operation and instructed dealers to do nothing to attempt correction. If the dealers attempt repair, GM will not reimburse their effort under warranty.

The new Stingray has a torque management algorithim built into the fuel management that will cause a very loud "pop" under full throttle acceleration as the transmission shifts. The timing is retarded for a few milliseconds during the shift and unburned gasoline enters the exhaust system to be ignited when the shift completes causing the "pop". This is normal operation and saves the transmission and other driveline components behind the 460HP engine. That managment cycle is far less than 1000th the management cycle duration of the SRX.

I experienced the hesitation a couple of times when using ECO and once since that time. The incident without ECO was more severe and I think it may fall within the .5 to .7 second torque management cycles that are described in the bulletin you posted.

We have entered an era of "drive-by-wire" where the computer algorithims control throttle position to save the driveline causing the sensations we are experiencing. Your experience of 4 seconds or more is certainly beyond what should be expected or tolerated for hesitation on acceleration. I do not feel it should be necessary to design in .5 - .7 seconds either; but they have published that phenomena as normal operation and instructed dealers to do nothing to attempt correction. If the dealers attempt repair, GM will not reimburse their effort under warranty.

The new Stingray has a torque management algorithim built into the fuel management that will cause a very loud "pop" under full throttle acceleration as the transmission shifts. The timing is retarded for a few milliseconds during the shift and unburned gasoline enters the exhaust system to be ignited when the shift completes causing the "pop". This is normal operation and saves the transmission and other driveline components behind the 460HP engine. That managment cycle is far less than 1000th the management cycle duration of the SRX.
    Just so I am clear on what you are experiencing with your SRX, is it the .5-.7 sag/hesitation or the 4 or so seconds of complete loss of acceleration that you have been experiencing? From what I understand based on your post I have quoted, you have only experienced the brief .5-.7 sag or hesitation in acceleration and not the complete loss. When you were using ECO mode were your experiencing the sag/hesitation or the complete loss then?

I am just trying to keep my facts straight in my head and in my analysis of this issue.

~Tina~

Just so I am clear on what you are experiencing with your SRX, is it the .5-.7 sag/hesitation or the 4 or so seconds of complete loss of acceleration that you have been experiencing? From what I understand based on your post I have quoted, you have only experienced the brief .5-.7 sag or hesitation in acceleration and not the complete loss. When you were using ECO mode were your experiencing the sag/hesitation or the complete loss then?

I am just trying to keep my facts straight in my head and in my analysis of this issue.

~Tina~
    All of hesitations I have experienced, with or without ECO fall within the scenario described in the bulletin. The hesitations were all less than .5 second in duration, although at the time of the hesitation, time seems to slow down. Of course, the NTSB may not share the opinion of GM that hesitation of that duration is acceptable if they are of the opinion a hazardous condition is created. Key to the NTSB campaign is will they declare the hesitation to be hazardous?
    crump13 likes this.

All of hesitations I have experienced, with or without ECO fall within the scenario described in the bulletin. The hesitations were all less than .5 second in duration, although at the time of the hesitation, time seems to slow down. Of course, the NTSB may not share the opinion of GM that hesitation of that duration is acceptable if they are of the opinion a hazardous condition is created. Key to the NTSB campaign is will they declare the hesitation to be hazardous?
    I agree that it is up to the NHTSA to determine if this sag/hesitation you are experiencing is a safety issue and decide to move forward with an investigation but for those (including me) who are experiencing a full 4 second loss of acceleration especially after the car moves you forward 5 feet in the direction you are headed and then you are completely disabled and can't move for 4 seconds, it is hard for me to believe that the NHTSA wouldn't find that to be a safety issue. I had thought that everyone that complained about the loss of acceleration in this tread was experiencing about the same length of acceleration loss but I guess that is not the case.

And just to clarify, i know you stated that your .5-.7 sag/hesitation seemed longer when it was actually occurring but I am 100% confident that my loss of acceleration was at minimum a full 4 seconds. I had time to look behind me to ensure the car behind me saw I wasn't continuing my right turn since I was partially in the turn (and this was after I realized I was stopped and disabled which was at least 2 seconds) and then I looked to my left to make sure there wasn't an oncoming car that was going to hit me since I was sitting in the lane not moving, and the last thing I did was look at my dash to see if there were any error lights. So giving all that I did while sitting there after realizing I was stopped and not moving, my issue couldn't have been .5-.7 lag or hesitation. I am not saying you think it was, I just wanted to clarify that I know in the moment of an incident time seem longer than it really is and it felt much longer than 4 seconds during the event but in reality it was a least 4 seconds.

For those that are on this thread that have experienced an issue with sag/hesitation or loss of acceleration, can you further clarify about how long of a sag/hesitation or loss it was? I would like to make sure I am reporting the facts correctly to my dealership and have the facts straight for my research and analysis.

~Tina~

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.