2013 srx gas pedal question - Page 13
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, 2013 srx gas pedal question in Cadillac SRX Forums; I don't buy the knock hypothesis. The problem everyone is experiencing is very intermittent. If it were knock, the problem ...
    Maxplot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium ATS 3.6 - Crystal Red, 2013 SRX Platinum Ice

Re: 2013 srx gas pedal question

I don't buy the knock hypothesis. The problem everyone is experiencing is very intermittent. If it were knock, the problem would be very repeatable and more prevalent. The only common situation that I think everyone shares that has had this problem is that it occurs at or just after coming to a stop using the brakes. Some have stated that they slowed to a stop and then turned. If it were knock, it would happen at every stoplight.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

njacobsen is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX AWD Premium, Xenon Blue, 20" Chrome

Quote Originally Posted by RogerBClark View Post
    My dealer now seems to be aware of the Re-Program that is coming. He now has two vehicles here in West Palm Beach reporting the issue and has been in touch with the field engineers. According to him, they tell him it has something to do with knock. It appears that under light acceleration, if knock begins, the system is removing all (or at least too much) timing resulting in no power. He told me there will be a re-program of the computer available soon, but that it has not been released yet due to having to be approved by DOT. My wife's car is going in on Thursday to check for any codes that might have been thrown and also to have a recording device installed. We decided to go ahead with this since we don't know when the re-program will be available (or if it will solve the issue).
    There are a couple of problems with the explanation given. First of all, timing is not something that can be removed. Timing can be retarded which is what normally happens when knock sensors do their job and detect detonation.

Secondly, the DOT does not approve or disapprove program changes to engine control systems. Why would a government agency be in the approval loop for any automobile changes?

RogerBClark is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by njacobsen View Post
    There are a couple of problems with the explanation given. First of all, timing is not something that can be removed. Timing can be retarded which is what normally happens when knock sensors do their job and detect detonation.

Secondly, the DOT does not approve or disapprove program changes to engine control systems. Why would a government agency be in the approval loop for any automobile changes?
    Removing Timing, Retarding Timing, whatever... we used to call it pulling timing. I only relayed what the dealer said, I have no idea how true any of it is, but I can tell you as a mechanic that pulling too much timing will certainly result in no power available. Whatever it is, I hope they get a handle on it because it could result in an accident pretty easily.
    crump13 likes this.

crump13 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Performance Black Raven/Ebony w/Ebony

Has anyone been able to get an update from their service dept on this new programming as of yet? I am still riding around with the data recroder in hoping to capture an incident.

~Tina~

steveooo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 srx

at first I thought it was my wifes imagination and then
    I thought it was mine .This condition has shown itself at least 6 times since we purchased this vehicle ,new,last October.
    This has happened yet again ,this time while making a left hand turn in front of a fully loaded tandem dump truck.
    This rolling coffin pulled us out into the lane ,in front of the dump truck ,then LEFT US THERE(3-5 seconds) ,no power .
    Finally the car decides to do its job and move,while the dump truck has his brakes locked up ,tires smoking and everything.
    It was a really close call.I would say we came within a few inches from being vaporized.
    Its at the dealer now and I know im gonna get the
    ":cant replicate the condition,it shows no codes,a slight hesitation is normal,GM knows nothing about this" BULLSHIT.
    After finding this and other threads around it is crystal clear that GM knows about this and has done nothing about it.
    Someone needs to dig around and find out how many deaths and life changing injuries this has caused for SURE its more than a few.Maybe a team of class action lawyers?
    This will get GM's engineers to fix this and nothing else

Quote Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
    at first I thought it was my wifes imagination and then
    I thought it was mine .This condition has shown itself at least 6 times since we purchased this vehicle ,new,last October.
    This has happened yet again ,this time while making a left hand turn in front of a fully loaded tandem dump truck.
    This rolling coffin pulled us out into the lane ,in front of the dump truck ,then LEFT US THERE(3-5 seconds) ,no power .
    Finally the car decides to do its job and move,while the dump truck has his brakes locked up ,tires smoking and everything.
    It was a really close call.I would say we came within a few inches from being vaporized.
    Its at the dealer now and I know im gonna get the
    ":cant replicate the condition,it shows no codes,a slight hesitation is normal,GM knows nothing about this" BULLSHIT.
    After finding this and other threads around it is crystal clear that GM knows about this and has done nothing about it.
    Someone needs to dig around and find out how many deaths and life changing injuries this has caused for SURE its more than a few.Maybe a team of class action lawyers?
    This will get GM's engineers to fix this and nothing else
    Wow... that is a pretty scary experience. I think it might be difficult to find if there has been fatalities regarding this issue because the car doesn't throw a code and the accident would be chalked up to driver error. We "might" be able to research and find accidents with injuries since the driver would be able to explain that the car lost acceleration. Either way, I truly believe GM is aware of this issue and there should be recall or something for this issue because anyone that has experienced this issue knows how it feels to be sitting in the middle of the road completely helpless and this is a HUGE safety issue.

If you haven't done so already, I would encourage you to report all your incidents or even just copy and paste what you explained here in your post to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. They can force an investigation or recall for this issue and this way GM doesn't continue to sweep it under the rug. This is our only recourse as of now until we can come up with incidents of fatalities or injury due to this issue.

In post #80 of this thread I have outline how to make a complaint to the NHTSA. Follow this link to the information. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...l#post11473977

In the meantime, I have altered my driving habits to try to compensate for this issue by not turning in front of traffic and sitting back a little ways from the stop so when I try to accelerate if it does happen it won't leave me stranded in the middle of the road I am turning on. This is not always practical all of the time but it helps.

~Tina~

klh95 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I haven't . . . my SRX is still in the shop (5 weeks later). I assume they're still waiting for the program, or surely I'd have it back.

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD

Quote Originally Posted by klh95 View Post
    I haven't . . . my SRX is still in the shop (5 weeks later). I assume they're still waiting for the program, or surely I'd have it back.
    Do you have a loaner? You must have a good relationship with the dealer.
    crump13 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by klh95 View Post
    Are you still in a loaner?

~Tina~

RogerBClark is offline Cadillac Owners Member

We've had the recorder in ours for about a week now and my wife had something happen (don't know if it's the same thing or not since it was different circumstances than leaving from a stop). However, she pushed the button and the dealer asked for the car. So they have it and we have a loaner for the time being. They have not said anything about new programming at this point. I'll post when I know more (or when they know more).

Quote Originally Posted by RogerBClark View Post
    We've had the recorder in ours for about a week now and my wife had something happen (don't know if it's the same thing or not since it was different circumstances than leaving from a stop). However, she pushed the button and the dealer asked for the car. So they have it and we have a loaner for the time being. They have not said anything about new programming at this point. I'll post when I know more (or when they know more).
    I have the data recorder on mine as well and have had it for a few weeks now. I have been trying to get it to happen but I can't seem to make it happen. Every time I take off or turn my hand is on the button to hit it incase it happens.

~Tina~
    adamjeeps likes this.

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD

Tina, the 2013+ owners certainly should appreciate your diligence in this matter.
    crump13 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by adamjeeps View Post
    Tina, the 2013+ owners certainly should appreciate your diligence in this matter.
    Thanks. I love my car, setting aside this issue. I truly believe it is a programming defect that can be fixed. I just hope it can be done before someone gets injured or killed. I hope it hasn't happened so far but with the amount of people on this forum that have experienced this issue, there has to be many many more out there that know nothing about this forum that has had this happen to them.

I will continue to encourage folks to report this to NHTSA as they continue to post incidents here. So far this issue is the majority of the complaints on the NHTSA for the 2013 SRX. This is our only recourse for now, other than trying to help them solve the issue which I rather be a part of the solution since this issue is so hard to replicate. :-)

~Tina~

njacobsen is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX AWD Premium, Xenon Blue, 20" Chrome

Quote Originally Posted by Maxplot View Post
    I don't buy the knock hypothesis. The problem everyone is experiencing is very intermittent. If it were knock, the problem would be very repeatable and more prevalent. The only common situation that I think everyone shares that has had this problem is that it occurs at or just after coming to a stop using the brakes. Some have stated that they slowed to a stop and then turned. If it were knock, it would happen at every stoplight.
    I did not buy the knock hypothesis either until a couple of days ago. Lately I have noticed and my wife also asked about an audible rattle accelerating lightly out of a turn. It does not happen very frequently and I have not been able to replicate so as to be able to complain to the dealer. Tonight I filled with the mid-grade of BP gasoline and will see if the rattle returns. If it does not, I will report that to the dealer because I was able to do something to change the symptoms.

If it is knock it may be because of the transmission shifting logic that is keeping a gear higher than for best performance and the loss of power may be the way power is managed during that downshift that is needed.

klh95 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by crump13 View Post
    Are you still in a loaner?

~Tina~
    Yes! Have spent more time in a loaner over the past three months than I've spent in my own vehicle . . . all of the loaners have been brand new cars off the lot, so I am certainly not complaining! I prefer the ones I've been "loaned" to the one I bought! I keep thinking I should call to find out about mine, but I'm afraid they'll make me take it back! :-)

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.