2013 srx gas pedal question - Page 11
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, 2013 srx gas pedal question in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by mjf I have 2013 srx luxury fwd with 1100 miles on it -- Today I had something ...
    RoyC80 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Performance AWD

Re: 2013 srx gas pedal question

Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    I have 2013 srx luxury fwd with 1100 miles on it -- Today I had something happen that really concerned me. I was stopped at a light and went to turn right --but upon depressing the gas pedal there was no movement at all. I had to punch the pedal very hard before it barely moved. I took it straight to the dealer and they said that I probably had somehow simultaneously hit the gas and brake and this would cause it to not move forward. This was a safety mechanism in place as a result of the toyota accelerator sticking and that if it happened again to use my other foot to lift up on the gas pedal or to turn off the traction control. Does this sound right?
    I've experienced the exact same problem at least a half dozen times. In fact my SRX is at the dealer right now for it. So far, I understand they have run a lot of diagnostics but nothing definitive yet. Having read the comments from mjf and considering I am sometimes a left foot braker I'm wondering if that might be the issue. I am going to share this with my dealer on the off chance that might be it. I almost got rear ended the other day when making a right turn from a stop and the engine all but shut off.

Roy C
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

mjf
    mjf is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): srx 2013

Quote Originally Posted by RoyC80 View Post
    I've experienced the exact same problem at least a half dozen times. In fact my SRX is at the dealer right now for it. So far, I understand they have run a lot of diagnostics but nothing definitive yet. Having read the comments from mjf and considering I am sometimes a left foot braker I'm wondering if that might be the issue. I am going to share this with my dealer on the off chance that might be it. I almost got rear ended the other day when making a right turn from a stop and the engine all but shut off.

Roy C
    Roy,
    After the dealership told me that I may have had a foot on the gas and brake, I went to a parking lot and tried to recreate the problem by putting my left foot on the brake and the right foot on the gas--my car moved-- in my case this was definitely not the problem. Not to mention that I only use my right foot to drive.
    Good luck with your car I hope your dealership can find the problem.
    njacobsen, crump13 and RoyC80 like this.

^ Thanks for your additional info. I sure hope my dealer can get this resolved. I took out a 3 year lease and have around 20 months to go! Hopefully, it's my fault and not a ticking bomb

Roy

crump13 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Performance Black Raven/Ebony w/Ebony

^ Thanks for your additional info. I sure hope my dealer can get this resolved. I took out a 3 year lease and have around 20 months to go! Hopefully, it's my fault and not a ticking bomb

Roy
    Roy, not sure if you have read this entire thread as it is pretty lengthy but so far no one has been able to duplicate this issue and the service dept hasn't been able to figure out what is causing it. I am in contact with my service dept and will be taking my car in this week to have a data recorder installed to capture the data when it happens again. I have had it happen twice so far and I "think" I might be able to duplicate it but I don't want to try until I get the data recorder installed so I can capture the incident.

If you haven't done so already I would like to encourage you to report this to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and I have the info below on how to file a complaint. We can all complain here on this forum but where it really counts is to file a complaint to the group that can actually do something about it. The NHTSA can initiate a formal investigation and even a recall for this issue if they get enough complaints.

How to file a claim:

Via Web
    Begin online form (https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml )

Via Mail
    Request PDF form by email (https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/portable/index.cfm )

Via Phone
    File a Complaint for Child Seats, Tires, Equipment, Vehicles
    Monday-Friday (8 am to 8 pm ET)
    (888) 327-4236 TTY: (800) 424-9153

~Tina~
    RoyC80 likes this.

Thanks Tina. Good advice. I will read through the earlier posts. It didn't occur to me to file a report with the NHTSA to be honest. I admit to being a bit of a Pollyanna.

Roy

Thanks Tina. Good advice. I will read through the earlier posts. It didn't occur to me to file a report with the NHTSA to be honest. I admit to being a bit of a Pollyanna.

Roy
    No worries Roy... I have been encouraging everyone here to file a complaint as they experience this issue. I want to get this fixed and seems like GM isn't doing anything about it as it has been reported to them several times and given this is a huge safety issue our only recourse is to file a complaint with the NHTSA. We have several folks on here that have filed a complaint and there are still a few that would rather complain here but not where it makes a difference by filing a complaint with the NHTSA. It baffles me sometimes when people will complain here and state they were almost in an accident but not take the time to copy and paste their exact post here and just file it on the NHTSA website. It will take all of 5 minutes since they already typed out the issue here so all they have to do is copy and paste it in their complaint.

Either way, I understand it is a personal thing and some people aren't comfortable making a formal complaint but that might be the only way this will get resolved if the NHTSA steps in and forces GM to take action on this issue.

Thanks,

~Tina~
    RoyC80 likes this.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Roy
    Hello Roy,

Please keep us updated if you bring your vehicle to the dealership next and don’t hesitate to reach out to us if you would like to start a file within our system as well. You can private message me or you can reach out to me at socialmedia@gm.com with “ATTN GREG” in the subject line. I will be on the lookout for your future messages or updates.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

My dealer came back with my admitted left foot braking (and presumably acceleration at the same time with my right) plus with the wheel turned fooled the car into thinking it was in a slide thus the engine dialing down. Not sure I buy that but I am now making a concerted effort to use my right foot only for the gas and brake pedalsl. It's actually a hard habit to break. I feel like I am in AA hopefully with a sponsor. Today was my first day of keeping my left foot planted firmly on the left foot rest on the floor. We shall see what happens.

Roy C

My dealer came back with my admitted left foot braking (and presumably acceleration at the same time with my right) plus with the wheel turned fooled the car into thinking it was in a slide thus the engine dialing down. Not sure I buy that but I am now making a concerted effort to use my right foot only for the gas and brake pedalsl. It's actually a hard habit to break. I feel like I am in AA hopefully with a sponsor. Today was my first day of keeping my left foot planted firmly on the left foot rest on the floor. We shall see what happens.

Roy C
    Roy, I can promise you it has nothing to so with using your left foot for braking and right foot for acceleration. I only use my right foot for both and it has happened.

I now have the data recorder in my car and will try to see if I can recreate the issue in a safe environment sometime this weekend. If I can't recreate it then at least I will have the data recorder there for the next time it happens.

~Tina~
    RoyC80 likes this.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Roy C
    Hello Roy C,

Thanks for keeping us updated. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us if you experience the concern again and would like any assistance working with the dealership.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care
    RoyC80 likes this.

Hi Greg,

I'm willing to make an effort to prove or disprove in my mind the explanation I received. My effort to stop braking with my left foot is about all I can can do to address what I was told. It's been a few days thus far and no repeat of the problem. That said, there were months long intervals between the problems before I came on here and commented. I will keep folks posted but also message you as well if the explanation no longer makes sense so that you can pass my concerns along. Hoping that your efforts are not just damage control from GM corporate but instead a sincere effort to correct the problem if it does in fact exist.

Thanks,
    Roy C

RogerBClark is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My wife called me tonight with this exact issue. She has had it happen 3 times now in the last two weeks. Jan-13 build date with Lux package.

brent.tierney is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 srx luxury, (69 sdv, 70 sdv, 72 sdv, 76 cdv past)

Quote Originally Posted by Maxplot View Post
    It seems to be very isolated. It happened to my wife driving home from the dealer, and has not happened since. In my wife's case, she had just slammed on the brakes to avoid a car that ran a red light, then when she went to accelerate, there was about a 3 second delay. She has almost 2000 miles on the SRX now and has not been able to duplicate that problem (if it was a problem in our case).
    I'd say it isn't as isolated as you would think. there is only a small percentage of owners that would actually look on the web for issues like this and post in forums. for the amount of people here there is ALOT more out there that are experiencing the issue without voicing their displeasure here. how many people had to die before gm was forced to acknowledge the ignition switch issue. our group is only a matter of time before enough bad things happen that cant be blamed on the driver to make it a priority to fix. happened twice to us in the last 3 days. scares the crap out of you
    crump13 likes this.

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD

I think we can safely say it only affects 2013+ models, am I correct?

Quote Originally Posted by adamjeeps View Post
    I think we can safely say it only affects 2013+ models, am I correct?
    So far it has only been 2013 models that have made complaints on here about it. No other years.

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.