Modding the factory LED accent lights
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Modding the factory LED accent lights in Cadillac SRX Forums; So my SRX has the vertical LED tubes that light up when the lights are on. They look nice but ...
    derek98z is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS, 2011 SRX

Modding the factory LED accent lights

So my SRX has the vertical LED tubes that light up when the lights are on. They look nice but are very dim. I also have a Cadillac ATS with the insanely bright vertical LED lights. Has anyone tried to modify the SRX to make these lights as bright as an ATS or XTS?
    I'll probably do a google search for LED conversions but was hoping someone had already done it.

(random pics)
    ATS
    2013_cadillac_ats_hlight_lt_1225121_600.jpg
    SRX
    SRX-36-front-450x337.jpg
    davedogcaddy likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Modding the factory LED accent lights

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/l...-/10-1012-52-/

Here is a link to some LEDs but I know little about LEDs and have no idea which light would work if any.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

The ATS' lights are its DRL's, where the SRX has halogen lights for its DRL's. That is the main difference for the reason. The light pipes on the SRX are just accents.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

davedogcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium (3.0L, FWD), 2008 CTS (3.6L DI, AWD)

+1 for anyone who figures out this mod. I have LED envy....even the KIAs have snazzy looking LED DRLs.

*sigh*

davedogcaddy, Marc NY and derek98z like this.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior

Captain:

this has been one of those things i've been on the fence about since i bought the vehicle. just can't make up my mind.

one place online that you cold purchase them from made it look like the chrome was an overlay and optional....true?

what circuit did you tie into?

I couldn't figure out the non chrome ones if it was an option or not, so I made sure to purchase one that was chrome. (3M'd over it for protection) It's not an overlay, its chrome dipped plastic.
    To tie into, I just purchased a small connector set the same as the fog lights and tied into it, so it was a quick connect and didn't tie into actual vehicle electronics.
    LED Fog light bezels
    Plus these knock the top of the actual fog light output off, and refocuses it onto the road, so it doesn't hurt people eyes as much.

On topic: a close look at the SRX's light pipes, I believe to be one medium bright LED at the bottom only. So if you tore apart the headlight casing, replaced the bottom with a high power LED, and got one into the top, it could make all the world of difference, but still not to ATS/XTS levels. (As I believe the ATS/XTS uses multiple LED's to get to the DRL level of brightness)

I hate to go through the process of removing a headlight, baking it, tearing it apart, then finding out I can't do anything with it haha. But that might just be what I have to do. Problem then would be I'd have to reassemble the light while I wait for an order on some new LEDs. Wish I knew more about electronics and lighting.

someone has to be 1st.

SRXDave is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX 2010 Performance Gray Flannel w/ 20" Chrome Wheels

You can make them true DRL (auto on - off)
    I hooked up on bench top to prove out and the whole installation only took about an hour

Posted on 3/12/13

Aliexpress
    Excellent Quality, daytime running light for Cadillac SRX 2010-2012, Ultra-bright LED illumination, DRL Fog Lamp Cover Kit Light
    Product ID: 570260832

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Excel...570260832.html

Remove the small cover on back side of the controller and change the switches to:
    (13.25 V)
    switch 6 : off
    switch 1 : ON
    switch 2 : ON
    switch 3 : OFF
    switch 4 : OFF
    switch 5 : OFF

Then connect positive and negative, Red + (fused) & Black – to the battery, tie off other wires, they’re not used. The patented technology dedicated Daytime Running Light: the unique car to start Automatic Identification System (LEDs switch on their own lights turn on and off).

I didn’t remove wheels or jack my SRX up, only removed wheel well liner screws, turned the wheels, pulled the liner back, reached in and pushed out the original bezel, ran the wires, plugged in the wires to new LED bezels, pushed them into place, replaced wheel liner screws, hooked control box red & black to battery, tied off wires and control box and was done.
    TN 2011 SRX likes this.

adamjeeps is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD

Quote Originally Posted by SRXDave View Post
    You can make them true DRL (auto on - off)
    I hooked up on bench top to prove out and the whole installation only took about an hour

Posted on 3/12/13

Aliexpress
    Excellent Quality, daytime running light for Cadillac SRX 2010-2012, Ultra-bright LED illumination, DRL Fog Lamp Cover Kit Light
    Product ID: 570260832

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Excel...570260832.html

Remove the small cover on back side of the controller and change the switches to:
    (13.25 V)
    switch 6 : off
    switch 1 : ON
    switch 2 : ON
    switch 3 : OFF
    switch 4 : OFF
    switch 5 : OFF

Then connect positive and negative, Red + (fused) & Black – to the battery, tie off other wires, they’re not used. The patented technology dedicated Daytime Running Light: the unique car to start Automatic Identification System (LEDs switch on their own lights turn on and off).

I didn’t remove wheels or jack my SRX up, only removed wheel well liner screws, turned the wheels, pulled the liner back, reached in and pushed out the original bezel, ran the wires, plugged in the wires to new LED bezels, pushed them into place, replaced wheel liner screws, hooked control box red & black to battery, tied off wires and control box and was done.
    Linky no worky.

SRXDave is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX 2010 Performance Gray Flannel w/ 20" Chrome Wheels

Home > All Categories > Automobiles & Motorcycles > Lights & Indicators > External Lights > Daytime Running Lights

]http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Excellent-Quality-daytime-running-light-for-Cadillac-SRX-2010-2012-Ultra-bright-LED-illumination-DRL-Fog/570260832.html

TN 2011 SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Premium

I have ordered the Aliexpress LED Daytime Running Lights for my 2011 SRX Premium last week and anxiously await their arrival. SRXDave I sent you a PM with a couple of questions about your installation as I too want these connected so that they come on upon vehicle start. If any one has any experience with connecting these so that they light upon vehicle start and what is required to connect please message me with how you connected yours.
    Thanks
    Bob

This thread has some info on modding the headlights on the CTS, including some pics of what makes up the light pipes. Probably similar on our SRXs. Looks like a mod for the light pipes would not be worth the trouble....

http://www.cadillacowners.com/forum/showthread.php/6010-Black-Headlight-Mod-Now-offering-my-services!

Dave, your link doesn't work...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.