Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Newbie Question - NAV Defauts to Washington DC

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Cadillac Customer Service 
#1 ·
First let me say I've searched this forum and readmany posts about this issue.

Here's my story:
I've taken my '10 SRX to the Cadillac dealer twice now about how the NAV defaults to Washington DC whenever I go to enter an address. The first dealer in El Paso, TX updated it and the most recent dealer in Niles, MI did nothing saying it's normal.

My question to you other owners is:

When you go to enter an address, does your NAV always say it's in Washington DC rather than the state you're in? The map portion show the current state I'm in (Michigan) but why in the heck do I have to change the state when entering an address?

Am I overthinking this issue. My $100 Garmin recognizes where I'm at so why can't this overpriced NAV system?

#2 ·
There was another thread at some point where someone mentioned the same issue.

Has the dealer checked the electrical connection to the NAV equipment? When I first bought the car (new), it happened more frequently. Then the NAV equipment failed within 6 months and new equipment was installed (I think there was a service bulletin on equipment failure). Once the dealer finally got it installed corrected (that included a couple of days to get it properly connected to Onstar), the DC issue stopped until recently.

For me, NAV defaults to DC sporadically when there is a break in the battery connection to NAV. Fustrates my spouse more than me (I've got a few electronic gremlins at this point --66,700 miles -- that stumps the dealer so I chaulk Washington DC as just one more).

Good luck.

#3 ·
Hello sctdixon,

I apologize that your NAV keeps defaulting to Washington DC. I would be happy to speak to your dealership regarding their reply that it is normal. If you would like a second opinion from another dealership, I would be happy to set you up an appointment at another dealership as well. Please private message me if this is something you would like to do. If you are not able to private message, you can contact me at socialmedia@gm.com as well. If you send an email, please be sure to include “ATTN GREG” in the subject line so it gets delivered straight to me. I would need your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership you have been working with. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#5 ·
It was a known issue for some members back in the early days of the GEN II SRXs. Yes, there are updates available from your local dealer that should work for you.

However, if the updates don't correct your problems then you will have to order a new Nav system.

#6 ·
I've had my Nav physically replaced twice due to it not being able to remember settings. If they end up replacing your Nav, just be sure they update it to the latest firmware. If they don't you could continue to have this problem even though they replaced the Nav unit.

#13 ·
yup, that is part of the same issue

Thanks, I have my SRX booked in for tomorrow (8.7.13) at Casa De Cadillac in Sherman Oaks California.
They said it just needed to be re programmed, we shall see.
they always want to do this first. but it never fixes it. do yourself a favor and set the clock/nav location in the dealership parking lot after they re done. shut the car off, lock it, and browse the lot for 20 mins. this way when it's still broken you can go ahead and get a loaner and have them check it back in for replacement.

not sure why *they* never test it after the update but....

#9 ·
I have yet to see a "built in" navigation system that is as good as a portable garmin. (maybe other brands as well, but I have only owned garmins)

I know this does not answer your question, but it is something that the auto manufacturers need to work on. When in unknown territory I intend to use my portable for my primary navigation machine. For example, the nav system in my new 2013 Acadia Denali only gives 1/4 mile warning on turns. That is totally unacceptable if you are in the wrong lane on a crowded freeway.

George

#10 ·
Yes there is a lot to say for portables, my Tom Tom works very well, shows lane changes very well on freeways and gives great information only cost $150 some 18 months ago and all you do is plug it into your computer and get all the current updates for free.
But I would still like to get my SRX Nav and digital clock working, also when I play music on my HDD why does the radio default to a favorite radio Chanel when I start the car, I then have to go back to HDD and it starts on the A's nowhere near the song it was on when I switched off the motor, is this another bug in the system??

#17 ·
Originally Posted by westham
Originally Posted by davedogcaddy
yup, that is part of the same issue

they always want to do this first. but it never fixes it. do yourself a favor and set the clock/nav location in the dealership parking lot after they re done. shut the car off, lock it, and browse the lot for 20 mins. this way when it's still broken you can go ahead and get a loaner and have them check it back in for replacement.

not sure why *they* never test it after the update but....
That's a good tip, also noticed the front distance chime and display are not working, the alert only comes on when the car is started (after parking close to a wall the night before) another strange problem.
I have been given a loaner ........ 2014 Cadillac ATS 2.0T with all of the bells and whistles and only 10 miles on it ......... so have no bad feelings against the dealer for now :cloud9:
Hi westham,

We're glad that you were given a loaner from the dealer for your repair (hope you're enjoying your time with the ATS) and are pleased that they're working on resolving this issue for you. If there's anything we can help you with please let us know. Keep us updated on the status of your vehicle.

Amber N. (assisting Gregory W.)
Cadillac Customer Care

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.