SRX died today
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, SRX died today in Cadillac SRX Forums; I got in my 2010 SRX today and the DIC said "No Remote Detected". I took the remote out of ...
    stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

SRX died today

I got in my 2010 SRX today and the DIC said "No Remote Detected". I took the remote out of my pocket and it still said that. I pushed the Start button and just a click. Tried several more times and the same thing. No radio, no interior lighting, nothing....including OnStar. I called the local Caddy dealer and they sent someone over and jump started it. I drove it to the dealership and they did a full diagnostic on it and couldn't find anything! At first I thought it was going to be the battery but it checked out fine along with every thing.

I know this car is several computers on a network on wheels but I find this type of thing scary. The dealer service people told me they had seen this type of thing before but were at a loss as to what was going on. Clearly there is some sort of software glitch(es) to be ironed out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Red2010 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 srx

Re: SRX died today

Glad you're still able to use the car. This happened to us a couple of times last fall (including multiple messages of "No Remote Detected"). Last time, it definitely was the battery. I was told the battery doesn't last more than three years (ours was 26 months). Once the battery does goes for good, you won't have access to OnStar. Thankfully, I was carrying a cell phone.

Good luck

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375 View Post
    I got in my 2010 SRX today and the DIC said "No Remote Detected". I took the remote out of my pocket and it still said that. I pushed the Start button and just a click. Tried several more times and the same thing. No radio, no interior lighting, nothing....including OnStar. I called the local Caddy dealer and they sent someone over and jump started it. I drove it to the dealership and they did a full diagnostic on it and couldn't find anything! At first I thought it was going to be the battery but it checked out fine along with every thing.

I know this car is several computers on a network on wheels but I find this type of thing scary. The dealer service people told me they had seen this type of thing before but were at a loss as to what was going on. Clearly there is some sort of software glitch(es) to be ironed out.
    Hello stevec5375,

I apologize for your SRX issues you are dealing with. I understand how software glitches can be scary when OnStar doesn't work for you. I am glad you had your cell phone and were able to get in contact with the Caddy dealership who sent someone over to jump start your vehicle. If there is anything you would like to further discuss, please reach out to me via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

It might be a "weak" battery in the remote... you didn't say whether you tried using the other remote or not.

Of course if you were away from your house you wouldn't be able to do that.

westham is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury

Mine died last week the day after I purchased it! The first test showed battery was ok and the alternator was hit and miss, the 2nd test showed the battery was the problem (vehicle is 2 yrs & 10 months old) Turned out to be a bad cell in the battery..........new battery and all better now. hope yours is as simple.

cadigirlchicago2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury

When you scroll thru the menu it says how many volts are in the battery, does that number slowly go down to give a person a heads up so I sorta know when it's time to buy a replacement? I have had my car for over 3 years and never had to replace the battery yet and I ASSUME they check that stuff when I get an oil change at the dealer, usually they have their diagnostic things they do but maybe not.

I haven't checked the remote's battery. My car battery is over 3 years old and our summers here in Austin are brutal with long periods of time with day temps over 100 degrees. I park outside so I'm suspecting the battery is going to be somewhat problematic even though the dealership's testing showed it "OK".

I drove the car today and had 4 stops and it worked fine.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

At least a boost got yours running again.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Ponyman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium, Radiant Silver

Don't know how much a new battery would cost, but it might be a good investment. Might take it to a place specializing in batteries.
    They should have a load tester which simulates the load placed on the battery when starting the car. My Dad had one of these at his auto supply store. You put a load on the battery, and it should hold steady for a couple of minutes at least. If the power begins to drop, (and you can see this on the load tester), then the battery is weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyman View Post
    Don't know how much a new battery would cost, but it might be a good investment. Might take it to a place specializing in batteries.
    They should have a load tester which simulates the load placed on the battery when starting the car. My Dad had one of these at his auto supply store. You put a load on the battery, and it should hold steady for a couple of minutes at least. If the power begins to drop, (and you can see this on the load tester), then the battery is weak.
    Thanks for the info. The dealer said they load tested the battery and it checked out. They even showed me the printout of the diagnostics and I talked to the service tech personally. Unless it happens again, it may remain a mystery.

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD

There is a software update that is supposed to help fix the no remote detected message. Have you ever had that done?

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375 View Post
    I haven't checked the remote's battery. My car battery is over 3 years old and our summers here in Austin are brutal with long periods of time with day temps over 100 degrees. I park outside so I'm suspecting the battery is going to be somewhat problematic even though the dealership's testing showed it "OK".

I drove the car today and had 4 stops and it worked fine.
    Hello stevec5375,

I see you have worked with the dealer in regards to your SRX malfunctions. I understand how an intermittent issue can be annoying to deal with. I also see you spoke with the tech and were shown a printout of the diagnostic testing. I am sorry if these issues arise again. I am more than happy to help assist you throughout this process if you would like to reach out to me via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

SoCalSRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Luxury with Navigation

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyman View Post
    Don't know how much a new battery would cost, but it might be a good investment.
    This is really good advice. For $100 (or less) you might be buying some relatively cheap insurance. With car batteries, the issue isn't if the battery is going to die, only when. Your battery is about three years old, and though that's a little soon for it to go bad, it's not out of the realm of possibility. I've had batteries that were bad, even though they tested OK. Given the age of your battery, regardless of the testing done by the dealer, if it were my car, a new battery would be the first thing I'd do. Also, it couldn't hurt to replace the battery in the remote, too.

Likely is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium Collection FWD

New battery needed. The electronics in the vehicles today can ruin a battery real fast, not not sure where you live, but if you live in an area where the heat is bad, it shortens the life of a battery real fast. I live in Arizona, so i can relate.....Replace the fob batteries as well.......The SRX's have some of the same issues we have on Corvettes, its called "Dead Battery Syndrome"....Don't ask me how i know!!!!!!
    Check out the Duralast Gold battery at Autozone Auto Parts.....

----------

Autozone can load test the battery, no charge......

Quote Originally Posted by Likely View Post
    New battery needed. The electronics in the vehicles today can ruin a battery real fast, not not sure where you live, but if you live in an area where the heat is bad, it shortens the life of a battery real fast. I live in Arizona, so i can relate.....Replace the fob batteries as well.......The SRX's have some of the same issues we have on Corvettes, its called "Dead Battery Syndrome"....Don't ask me how i know!!!!!!
    Check out the Duralast Gold battery at Autozone Auto Parts.....

----------

Autozone can load test the battery, no charge......
    Thanks for the advice. However, I took the car to the dealership right after the problem happened and they tested everything. They said the battery was fine. It is replaceable under the warranty. The question is, "How do I get them to replace the battery when their testing equipment doesn't show it has a problem?" I don't want to pay for a new battery out of pocket if it's under warranty.

The car sits outside in our 100+ degree days and it's started fine ever since that initial mishap. Seems like if it's the battery it would have gone down again.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.