SRX died today - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, SRX died today in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by stevec5375 I took the car to the dealership right after the problem happened and they tested everything. ...
    SoCalSRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Luxury with Navigation

Re: SRX died today

Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375 View Post
    I took the car to the dealership right after the problem happened and they tested everything. They said the battery was fine.
    Batteries can be quirky. Sometimes they test OK even when they're bad, or intermittently bad. Even if the dealer won't step up and give you a replacement, for less than $100 I'd just go buy a new one. As I said before, it's cheap insurance. The last thing you want to deal with is getting stranded somewhere with a bad battery.

Likely is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium Collection FWD

Once the battery goes dead, you have just cut the life of the battery by 40 to 50%. Your battery is going to go dead again for sure. It sounds like you live in the hot part of the country, as i mentioned earlier, heat, heat, and more heat will zapp your battery. Break down and get a new battery. You will have piece of mind.......If you don't, you are going to get stranded, and it might not be in the area you want!!!!!

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

It turns out that my battery in the SRX is fine for the time being. It was the battery in the remote that was dead. I was able to use the 2nd remote just fine and after replacing the battery in the 1st remote, it starting working and no more "Remote not Detected" error in the DIC.

(The "Remote not Detected" error was intermittent so beware.)

Since I have the keyless entry feature, I was able to place the remote with the bad battery in the bottom of the console in the indentation and get the car to start. That was my other clue that it must be the remote battery that's bad.

algiorda is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 , 2010, 2014 Luxury Raven Blk w/Ebony

If you replace the battery in the remote, do you need to reprogram the remote?

Maybe I should do a pre-emptive remote battery replacement. What type of battery does the remote take?

Al

I did not need to reprogram the remote after replacing the battery. However, the battery change was done quickly. I didn't remove the old battery and leave the remote lying around for hours. I'm not sure if that would make a difference but you never know.

From the manual:
    Insert the new battery, positive
    side facing down. Replace with a
    CR2032 or equivalent battery.

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD

All of us need to have this TSB performed, the battery was most likely not dead, as I have the original battery still in my 1999 Grand Prix key fob that I use almost daily.

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=178026

Well folks, it did it again. I went out to get in my SRX yesterday and when I pushed the start button it just clicked and the DIC said "2 keys detected" and the Nav screen went nuts just barely moving up and down. The engine wouldn't turn over. It's the same behavior that the first post of this thread states. The last (and first) time this happened, I thought it was the remote needing a new battery but now that appears not to be the case. I couldn't get the car to start with either FOB. This morning Caddy roadside assistance showed up and their jump start machine showed the battery had power but after he put the cables on the battery it finally started. It's at the dealer now and, of course, it started right up for them.

Like so many of you pointed out earlier in this post, I'm thinking it's the battery because my SRX sits outside and I don't drive it very much. Maybe a couple of times a week at most. The original battery that's in it is almost 4 years old. I'm hoping the diagnostics show up something because this vehicle makes me very nervous to drive now. I'm afraid of getting stranded.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Well folks, it did it again. I went out to get in my SRX yesterday and when I pushed the start button it just clicked and the DIC said "2 keys detected" and the Nav screen went nuts just barely moving up and down. The engine wouldn't turn over. It's the same behavior that the first post of this thread states. The last (and first) time this happened, I thought it was the remote needing a new battery but now that appears not to be the case. I couldn't get the car to start with either FOB. This morning Caddy roadside assistance showed up and their jump start machine showed the battery had power but after he put the cables on the battery it finally started. It's at the dealer now and, of course, it started right up for them.

Like so many of you pointed out earlier in this post, I'm thinking it's the battery because my SRX sits outside and I don't drive it very much. Maybe a couple of times a week at most. The original battery that's in it is almost 4 years old. I'm hoping the diagnostics show up something because this vehicle makes me very nervous to drive now. I'm afraid of getting stranded.
    Hello stevec5375,

I understand how this concern makes you nervous to drive your vehicle and I am sorry for any inconvenience in regards to your vehicle issue. Let us know after the next dealer update. Please contact us via private message so we can further discuss your situation.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

I got a call from the dealership yesterday afternoon and it turns out the battery doesn't have high enough cranking amperage to turn the starter. So they replaced the battery under warranty. I'm also getting them to replace the cracked plastic battery housing while they're at it. I hope this fixes it. It's amazing how much we take our transportation for granted until we don't have its convenience anymore.

I got a call from the dealership yesterday afternoon and it turns out the battery doesn't have high enough cranking amperage to turn the starter. So they replaced the battery under warranty. I'm also getting them to replace the cracked plastic battery housing while they're at it. I hope this fixes it. It's amazing how much we take our transportation for granted until we don't have its convenience anymore.
    Hello stevec5375,

Thanks for providing this updated information for us. I am glad the dealer replaced your battery for you and is replacing another vehicle concern for you as well. I agree, I rely on my vehicle for multiple daily commutes! If you ever need assistance with anything else, don't hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Laura,

Thank you for your kind and caring followups. I used to do customer support and it just reminded me of what a tough job you have--especially when dealing with disgruntled customers (me, most of the time. LOL).

Laura,

Thank you for your kind and caring followups. I used to do customer support and it just reminded me of what a tough job you have--especially when dealing with disgruntled customers (me, most of the time. LOL).
    Hi stevec5375,

You are more than welcome! We are here to assist the best we can.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

At that age (4 yrs) batteries quite often show good voltage, but fail a load test. They have 14v but no amperage to crank. I always pay extra attention that first cold morning of the year. If its 4 yrs old and there's even the slightest indication its lost cold cranking power, I get a new battery. Squeezing another month or two is tempting, but when its time, its time...

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

If you can get a battery to last four years in Central Canada, in a vehicle parked outside, you are doing amazing.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.