SRX aftermarket trailer hitch advice please!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, SRX aftermarket trailer hitch advice please! in Cadillac SRX Forums; I'm looking to add a hitch so I can use a hitch platform to haul cargo on trips when the ...
    hotrod363765 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 srx, 2012 cts

SRX aftermarket trailer hitch advice please!

I'm looking to add a hitch so I can use a hitch platform to haul cargo on trips when the interior cargo room isn't enough. Can anybody direct me to a good hitch manufacturer, let's here the pro's and con's. Thanks, Jeff

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD
    Curt C13002

NVSRX12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Premium

Re: SRX aftermarket trailer hitch advice please!

Cadillacyakyak is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Basic

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod363765 View Post
    I'm looking to add a hitch so I can use a hitch platform to haul cargo on trips when the interior cargo room isn't enough.
    Either Curt or Hidden Hitch are cheap and easy to install. You don't need a 2" receiver a 1 1/4" is more than adequate. I use a Curt 1 1/4" to haul my motor cycle trailer loaded with a 780lbs. motorcycle.

phunter1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury

I have a Curt with a 2" receiver. Very easy to install. Only 4 bolts. The SRX already has a plug for the 4 pin cable, which costs about $13, if I remember correctly. Be advised the the center cover plate you have on your vehicle now will not fit over the 2" hitch. You will either have to cut it to clear the hitch or buy the special GM cover for $99, which is outrageously over priced. Not sure if any of this applies to the 1 1/4 " hitch.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by phunter1 View Post
    I have a Curt with a 2" receiver. Very easy to install. Only 4 bolts. The SRX already has a plug for the 4 pin cable, which costs about $13, if I remember correctly. Be advised the the center cover plate you have on your vehicle now will not fit over the 2" hitch. You will either have to cut it to clear the hitch or buy the special GM cover for $99, which is outrageously over priced. Not sure if any of this applies to the 1 1/4 " hitch.

Phil
    Do you have a link for the $99 hitch cover? I have not seen this and would love to see it. The pictures with the hitch installed without the center cover don't look appealing to me.

harrynw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury

I had mine done at U-haul, since I didn't want to crawl under the car. They did have to change the wire plug in, as the original with LED's started staying on after a couple of weeks. They said it was messing with the computer, and changed it out for one that didn't have the LED's, and it works fine. I pull a 1,500 lb boat/trailer.

Hi adamjeeps,

the hitch cover is Gm part # 19172271. I purchased mine here: http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?
    The GM part number is 19172271. If you shop the part number you might find it for a little less, although the price has come down quite a bit since I purchased mine. I have attached a pic of my vehicle with it off and on. Hope this helps.

Phil
    Attached Images

davedogcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium (3.0L, FWD), 2008 CTS (3.6L DI, AWD)

Quick questions guys: I had installed the factory GM hitch on my 2005 SRX. I had also bought the GM Bike rack. I'd like to start using the bike rack again, but correct me if I'm wrong, isn't the GM hitch for the 2010 a 2" receiver? It was an 1 1/4 receiver on the 2005 - I'd like to NOT have to use an adapter.

On the aftermarket ones, are they 100% hidden like the GM version? Do they work with the GM cover that phunter1 posted above? Which is the best 1 1/4 inch version?

Quote Originally Posted by davedogcaddy View Post
    Quick questions guys: I had installed the factory GM hitch on my 2005 SRX. I had also bought the GM Bike rack. I'd like to start using the bike rack again, but correct me if I'm wrong, isn't the GM hitch for the 2010 a 2" receiver? It was an 1 1/4 receiver on the 2005 - I'd like to NOT have to use an adapter.

On the aftermarket ones, are they 100% hidden like the GM version? Do they work with the GM cover that phunter1 posted above? Which is the best 1 1/4 inch version?
    http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitc...eid=2012302397

thanks adam...is that one fully hidden behind the rear fascia like the factory one is? Is it compatible with the GM hitch cover (19172271)? Thanks!

No idea but I would guess yes since it is smaller.

I am running a 2" Curt hitch, not the factory unit. My hitch fits under the GM cover just fine. The one pictured in the link from adamjeeps will not be 100% hidden unless you buy the hitch cover. It will look just like the picture I posted above with the hitch cover off, except the receiver will be smaller. A 1 1/4" Curt hitch would will easily fit under the GM cover.

Phil

Thanks Phil! So really no reason to spend the extra $$$ on the GM hitch then? Yay!

GMJim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon

You have a hitch, you need a hitch cover, no matter what make or size.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.