Bug spots on bumper
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By quantex
  • 2 Post By MJDART
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Bug spots on bumper in Cadillac SRX Forums; Made first long trip with my '12 SRX, came back and washed the car. Washed and scrubbed front bumper to ...
    DTurmel is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX 2012 AWD Luxury

Bug spots on bumper

Made first long trip with my '12 SRX, came back and washed the car. Washed and scrubbed front bumper to clean the bugs out, they came off but there are still marks that wont go. The spots have the original shape of the bugs that smashed on the bumper, I don't feel anything to the touch but seems like the finish is altered. My SRX is black. Most of the spots are on the bumper, same issue on the front of the hood.
    I tried everything, bugs & tar remover, cleaner, different pad etc. this sounds like a stupid post but I never had any problems washing off bugs from my previous cars....any advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

'12CTSman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 SRX Premium AWD Black/Ebony w/Dr Assist & 20" Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by DTurmel
    Made first long trip with my '12 SRX, came back and washed the car. Washed and scrubbed front bumper to clean the bugs out, they came off but there are still marks that wont go. The spots have the original shape of the bugs that smashed on the bumper, I don't feel anything to the touch but seems like the finish is altered. My SRX is black. Most of the spots are on the bumper, same issue on the front of the hood.
    I tried everything, bugs & tar remover, cleaner, different pad etc. this sounds like a stupid post but I never had any problems washing off bugs from my previous cars....any advice?
    The clearcoat from the acid from the squashed bugs (probably beetles) have etched the paint. The black paint reflects the damage like a mirror. Nothing you can do unless you repaint the areas and the add some protective film like the new 3M stuff.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by DTurmel
    If you don't want to repaint the areas due to extreme cost, you can mitigate further damage by using a good wax on the effected areas and washing your SRX frequently. The "love bugs" in Florida are especially bad on car finishes if they are not removed and the areas cleaned before they bake on.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Buffing the area with some cutting cream and a rotary buffer will most likely completely take care of it. If it's really bad, maybe a light wet sanding. You need the right supplies, equipment, and knowledge. Just take it to a body shop, I'd imagine it'd cost right around $100 for a buffing, maybe slightly less.

themacguy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Base
    Spray the bumper with silicone before taking a long trip. Then clean with Simple Green or bug juice remover when you get home. That works.

Yes, take it to a detailing shop and let the Pros with the right equipment remove the bug stains.

Ugh. I love/hate black...

Thanks for the various advice everyone.

The strangest thing, I took the car out on this sunny afternoon for some errands and went to buy other products to try further clean the bumper tonight - went to the car after dinner and was amazed that all the marks / bug stains from yesterday completely disappeared. I have no explanation for this. - I scrubbed the car so thoroughly yesterday and nothing got these marks out - not sure if the sun / heat did something today but the paint looks like new and to be honest I am relieved. Thanks for your help.

I will try some of the preventive tips proposed here moving forward.

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD

Re: Bug spots on bumper

Do you have the regular black or the optional $495 black ice? My black ice paint sometimes appears to have water spots that come and go randomly. I am not an expert on detailing by any means so I'm wondering if it is just something with this metallic type paint?

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Marks in the clear have nothing to do with the paint beneath.

Mine is the regular black - the spots seemed to be on the clear coat which disappeared. I am just glad they did!

Call me crazy but when I saw this bulletin this looks exactly what happened to me - when my car got exposed to the sun for a few hours and the marks were all gone...interesting

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=175053

Anyway I've owned my black 2012 for 8 months now (i love this car) and I am stunned on how this car get scratched easily although I am so careful ..is it the black that is subject to this or is it paint quality on the SRX? This is my first black car ever and looks great when clean but man does it reflect all the little imperfections.....

quantex is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Own two 2012 SRX-4 w/o Nav

Black is not a color, it is a full time job.
    davedogcaddy likes this.

davedogcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium (3.0L, FWD), 2008 CTS (3.6L DI, AWD)

Quote Originally Posted by DTurmel View Post
    ..is it the black that is subject to this or is it paint quality on the SRX? This is my first black car ever and looks great when clean but man does it reflect all the little imperfections.....
    yes, my Wife's black CTS shows every little imperfection, scratch, etc - while my Crystal Red SRX always looks great. I tried to talk her out of black. I could never drive a black car, I am WAY to OCD....

MJDART is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium

I realize this may sound anal to some but I've been doing some things for years to great success.

1st Tip
    Buy or use an old a wash mit, get a zip lock bag large enough to hold it. Next time you was car dunk the mit in the soapy solution, wring it out just lightly and place it in the sealed bag. "Everytime" I drive to work, home, or other and encounter bugs, I take out the mit and wipe the still fresh bugs off the finish of the car. Keep an old towel with the mit to quickly dry off the area. There's no better feeling knowing you've saved your paint and the vehicle looks great for the return drive.

I really shock people when I drive through northern florida and encounter the swarms of love bugs, using my mit, a spray bottle with soapy water a silicone "California Water Blade", and towel I spend seriously 4-5 minutes on the front of the vehicle & the windshield to it's looks like a freshly washed car. Everyone elses looks like crap, people returning from a rest area stop and gawk at my prestine vehicle, one guy offered me $20 if I could do his...lol

2nd Tip when you know you are going to be driving through "Bug Infested Roads", before you leave, pull a strip of "Saran Wrap" across the bumper area. The stuff clings easily even at highway speeds, when you stop pull off the strip and you have an untouched area underneath. Its almost un-noticable as well just like the NASCAR tear-off strips they put on the windshields.

Just to give you an idea how successful its been for me, I drove my new SRX over to a co-worker, first thing he asked was is this new? He quickly added with you I can't tell as that (7 yr old CTS) always looked like it was new.
    shfawaz and allgm like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.