Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Bug spots on bumper

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  MJDART 
#1 ·
Made first long trip with my '12 SRX, came back and washed the car. Washed and scrubbed front bumper to clean the bugs out, they came off but there are still marks that wont go. The spots have the original shape of the bugs that smashed on the bumper, I don't feel anything to the touch but seems like the finish is altered. My SRX is black. Most of the spots are on the bumper, same issue on the front of the hood.
I tried everything, bugs & tar remover, cleaner, different pad etc. this sounds like a stupid post but I never had any problems washing off bugs from my previous cars....any advice?

#2 ·
The clearcoat from the acid from the squashed bugs (probably beetles) have etched the paint. The black paint reflects the damage like a mirror. Nothing you can do unless you repaint the areas and the add some protective film like the new 3M stuff.

----------

If you don't want to repaint the areas due to extreme cost, you can mitigate further damage by using a good wax on the effected areas and washing your SRX frequently. The "love bugs" in Florida are especially bad on car finishes if they are not removed and the areas cleaned before they bake on.

#3 ·
Buffing the area with some cutting cream and a rotary buffer will most likely completely take care of it. If it's really bad, maybe a light wet sanding. You need the right supplies, equipment, and knowledge. Just take it to a body shop, I'd imagine it'd cost right around $100 for a buffing, maybe slightly less.

#5 ·
Thanks for the various advice everyone.

The strangest thing, I took the car out on this sunny afternoon for some errands and went to buy other products to try further clean the bumper tonight - went to the car after dinner and was amazed that all the marks / bug stains from yesterday completely disappeared. I have no explanation for this. - I scrubbed the car so thoroughly yesterday and nothing got these marks out - not sure if the sun / heat did something today but the paint looks like new and to be honest I am relieved. Thanks for your help.

I will try some of the preventive tips proposed here moving forward.

#9 ·
Call me crazy but when I saw this bulletin this looks exactly what happened to me - when my car got exposed to the sun for a few hours and the marks were all gone...interesting

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=175053

Anyway I've owned my black 2012 for 8 months now (i love this car) and I am stunned on how this car get scratched easily although I am so careful ..is it the black that is subject to this or is it paint quality on the SRX? This is my first black car ever and looks great when clean but man does it reflect all the little imperfections.....

#11 ·
..is it the black that is subject to this or is it paint quality on the SRX? This is my first black car ever and looks great when clean but man does it reflect all the little imperfections.....
yes, my Wife's black CTS shows every little imperfection, scratch, etc - while my Crystal Red SRX always looks great. I tried to talk her out of black. I could never drive a black car, I am WAY to OCD....

#12 ·
I realize this may sound anal to some but I've been doing some things for years to great success.

1st Tip
Buy or use an old a wash mit, get a zip lock bag large enough to hold it. Next time you was car dunk the mit in the soapy solution, wring it out just lightly and place it in the sealed bag. "Everytime" I drive to work, home, or other and encounter bugs, I take out the mit and wipe the still fresh bugs off the finish of the car. Keep an old towel with the mit to quickly dry off the area. There's no better feeling knowing you've saved your paint and the vehicle looks great for the return drive.

I really shock people when I drive through northern florida and encounter the swarms of love bugs, using my mit, a spray bottle with soapy water a silicone "California Water Blade", and towel I spend seriously 4-5 minutes on the front of the vehicle & the windshield to it's looks like a freshly washed car. Everyone elses looks like crap, people returning from a rest area stop and gawk at my prestine vehicle, one guy offered me $20 if I could do his...lol

2nd Tip when you know you are going to be driving through "Bug Infested Roads", before you leave, pull a strip of "Saran Wrap" across the bumper area. The stuff clings easily even at highway speeds, when you stop pull off the strip and you have an untouched area underneath. Its almost un-noticable as well just like the NASCAR tear-off strips they put on the windshields.

Just to give you an idea how successful its been for me, I drove my new SRX over to a co-worker, first thing he asked was is this new? He quickly added with you I can't tell as that (7 yr old CTS) always looked like it was new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.