2012 SRX Broke Down in Rapid City on Fourth of July:Advice?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By TheCaptain
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, 2012 SRX Broke Down in Rapid City on Fourth of July:Advice? in Cadillac SRX Forums; I am driving from Minnesota to Washington state returning from vacation in our 2012 Cadillac SRX (original owner). Today, as ...
    megsfolks is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2012 SRX Broke Down in Rapid City on Fourth of July:Advice?

I am driving from Minnesota to Washington state returning from vacation in our 2012 Cadillac SRX (original owner). Today, as we hit South Dakota, a noise from the front end popped up. It sounds nasty with a sense of a grinding sound. At low speeds, I don't hear it. But, it seems to pick up in sound volume at about 20 mph. It seems to be related to road speed rather than engine RPM. I have no warning lights and have all positive indicators on the dash. The vehicle has approx 16,000 miles

I can't personally diagnose the problem or the criticality of the issue. Is it a wheel bearing? A bad tire? A transmission? I'm thinking it sounds most like a wheel bearing, but have trouble believing a car only about 18 months old could have such a problem. I think I feel a bit of vibration in the steering, but admit that could be in my head. Searching the forum hasn't pointed to any clues.

I would like to get this into the local Cadillac dealer tomorrow as I'm stuck in Rapid City, South Dakota. I will be there bright and early tomorrow. Is there any other advice you can offer?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD
    No clue but pleased keep us up to date as to what the dealer diagnoses.

algiorda is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 , 2010, 2014 Luxury Raven Blk w/Ebony

Re: 2012 SRX Broke Down in Rapid City on Fourth of July:Advice?

Sounds like a wheel bearing to me. This is something that wouldn't throw a code that OnStar can diagnose, but you could call Cadillac Roadside Assistance through OnStar to have them come out and look at the car and recommend a course of action based on the diagnosis.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by megsfolks View Post
    I am driving from Minnesota to Washington state returning from vacation in our 2012 Cadillac SRX (original owner). Today, as we hit South Dakota, a noise from the front end popped up. It sounds nasty with a sense of a grinding sound. At low speeds, I don't hear it. But, it seems to pick up in sound volume at about 20 mph. It seems to be related to road speed rather than engine RPM. I have no warning lights and have all positive indicators on the dash. The vehicle has approx 16,000 miles

I can't personally diagnose the problem or the criticality of the issue. Is it a wheel bearing? A bad tire? A transmission? I'm thinking it sounds most like a wheel bearing, but have trouble believing a car only about 18 months old could have such a problem. I think I feel a bit of vibration in the steering, but admit that could be in my head. Searching the forum hasn't pointed to any clues.

I would like to get this into the local Cadillac dealer tomorrow as I'm stuck in Rapid City, South Dakota. I will be there bright and early tomorrow. Is there any other advice you can offer?
    Hello megsfolks,

I am sorry for any trouble your vehicle caused you while on vacation. I see you are taking your vehicle into the dealership. Please keep us updated on the situation and if there is anything you would like to further discuss, please contact us via private message.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

PM sent to Cadillac Customer Service. Let me know if you don't see it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

The local dealer confirmed a bad front passenger wheel bearing. Fortunately, they were able to find one locally and got it replaced today. So, back on the road.

How in the world can a bearing to after only 16,000 miles? Crazy.

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD
    Most likely scenario is over-torquing of the lugnuts or uneven torquing. The big rims look cool but they are hard on bearings if not installed absolutely properly.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by megsfolks View Post
    The local dealer confirmed a bad front passenger wheel bearing. Fortunately, they were able to find one locally and got it replaced today. So, back on the road.

Hello megsfolks,

I am happy to hear that the dealership was able to get it replaced for you today and got you back on the road! Thank you for keeping us updated regarding your situation. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us again. I hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation!

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

adamjeeps. Thanks for the insights for a plausible explanation. Our dealer had done a rotation late last year. It wouldn't surprise me if they has some kid do the work. Motivated to check the other wheels now!

bsze is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX4

thats what happens when the vehicle is made with parts from china. cadillac brand just keeps going downhill.

arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by megsfolks

Sucks don't it? But if you put it in perspective of how many bearings get shipped out, they know that not all will last for their designed life for whatever reason. I'm sure they test a few out of a batch, but not each one is gonna be perfect. And sadly you got one of that faulty ones.

As an engineer all I can say is , " shit happens, somewhere along the line there's going to be an ugly duckling that passes for a good one"

GMJim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by bsze View Post
    thats what happens when the vehicle is made with parts from china. cadillac brand just keeps going downhill.
    Really?

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by bsze View Post
    And you have evidence of this?
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.