Anybody ever take off front door panels?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Anybody ever take off front door panels? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hi All, I'm doing a DIY project of front window tint. I thought it would be easier if the door ...
    Jake2010 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX - Premium - Black Raven / Titanium - Chrome Tech

Anybody ever take off front door panels?

Hi All,

I'm doing a DIY project of front window tint. I thought it would be easier if the door panels were off.
    I got the FIRST set of computer-cut tint and screwed up on the second window. I ordered a new set, but determined my problem was with the door panel window seal.

Anyway, I don't know if it worth the risk of taking the door panels off. So I'm wondering if anyone has done it.
    At $11.50 for the front window set, I figured it was worth another shot before taking it to a tint shop...

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

Re: Anybody ever take off front door panels?

Quote Originally Posted by Jake2010 View Post
    Hi All,

I'm doing a DIY project of front window tint. I thought it would be easier if the door panels were off.
    I got the FIRST set of computer-cut tint and screwed up on the second window. I ordered a new set, but determined my problem was with the door panel window seal.

Anyway, I don't know if it worth the risk of taking the door panels off. So I'm wondering if anyone has done it.
    At $11.50 for the front window set, I figured it was worth another shot before taking it to a tint shop...

Thanks!
    I've seen tinters simply push down the rubber the presses against the bottom of the window, rather than remove the door panels. I haven't looked to see if it can be done on the SRX, but it's worth a shot.

davedogcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium (3.0L, FWD), 2008 CTS (3.6L DI, AWD)

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux

I've only seen it done once, but I would guess most pros take the panel off, as it just makes it easier and faster. Plus, you need to be able to get the tint tucked underneath the rollers (which are more rubber sponges than rollers) that are a few inches below the seal if you want to avoid possible problems down the road.
    And I wonder if the tint install suggests a spray bottle with a very weak soap/water solution sprayed on the window before installing the tint. It helps to be able to move around before the adhesive takes. You get it all in place and squeegee out the bubbles and water, wait a day or so while it drives, and you're done. I've watched a couple neighbors try and apply the tint dry with very negative results....

Jake2010 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX - Premium - Black Raven / Titanium - Chrome Tech

Thanks Guys!!

DaveDog... thanks for the link, I've pulled door panels before and was hoping the Caddy was as easy and it seems to be! I'll pull them for the next round of tint.. You'da man!

Huey Driver... thanks dude, it definitely seems to be easier with the panels off. Our's dip low in the front corners and it adds to the complexity. I almost nailed it in the first round but got caught-up in the front corners with some creases and a tear. Anyway, waiting for the new tint and will get it right this time. Got the tools, squeeges, blades, etc.

Meanwhile, I'm driving with a nicely tinted driver's side and an un-tinted passengers side... lol

weealbert is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 3.0 V6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake2010
    Thanks Guys!!

DaveDog... thanks for the link, I've pulled door panels before and was hoping the Caddy was as easy and it seems to be! I'll pull them for the next round of tint.. You'da man!

Huey Driver... thanks dude, it definitely seems to be easier with the panels off. Our's dip low in the front corners and it adds to the complexity. I almost nailed it in the first round but got caught-up in the front corners with some creases and a tear. Anyway, waiting for the new tint and will get it right this time. Got the tools, squeeges, blades, etc.

Meanwhile, I'm driving with a nicely tinted driver's side and an un-tinted passengers side... lol
    Jake 2010, if you can, don't remove the panel. I have mine installed w/o removing the panel. Most impt you need to apply a lot of the soap water solution. Make sure the glass is clean of dirt, use a lint free cloth. Have a plastic blade and use it to push the film thro the window rubber seal. I have attached some images so you have an idea. Make sure to have towel to cover to catch the soapy solution from dripping all over the door.

http://i1344.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3f738176.jpg

----------

Quote Originally Posted by weealbert

Jake 2010, if you can, don't remove the panel. I have mine installed w/o removing the panel. Most impt you need to apply a lot of the soap water solution. Make sure the glass is clean of dirt, use a lint free cloth. Have a plastic blade and use it to push the film thro the window rubber seal. I have attached some images so you have an idea. Make sure to have towel to cover to catch the soapy solution from dripping all over the door.

http://i1344.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3f738176.jpg
    http://s1344.photobucket.com/albums/...ps111c3640.jpg

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.