DIY: How to upgrade your 2010-2012 SRX Side Vents to the new 2013 style
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, DIY: How to upgrade your 2010-2012 SRX Side Vents to the new 2013 style in Cadillac SRX Forums; The original discussion of this topic had gotten quite lengthy, so now that I have completed this mod I decided ...
    davedogcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium (3.0L, FWD), 2008 CTS (3.6L DI, AWD)

DIY: How to upgrade your 2010-2012 SRX Side Vents to the new 2013 style

The original discussion of this topic had gotten quite lengthy, so now that I have completed this mod I decided to compile everything into a (hopefully) more organized post. The original thread can be found here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/310402-finally-snagged-2013-my-style-lower.html

In this DIY we'll cover something that (as far as I can tell) hasn't been done yet; upgrading the side vents on your 2010-2012 SRX to the updated 2013 style. Please note that my SRX is a 2010 MY, so while I would assume these instructions will work fine on the 2011 & 2012 we'll have to wait and see once some of those owners attempt this. This mod is not for the faint of heart. While it's not the hardest mod I've seen, it was WAY more involved than I originally suspected. PLEASE, realize this comes with risks, and I assume no responsibility if you screw something up. We will be tying into factory wiring harnesses, and doing some minor body work, so if something isn't done right you could really mess up your ride.

Let's begin with what you will need. First you will need to decide if you want the original factory all-chrome 2013 vents, or the dual-tone black/chrome accessory ones. I chose the originals. Here are the part numbers:

-2013 Original Factory Chrome vent (left): 22966564
    -2013 Original Factory Chrome vent (right): 22966563
    -2013 SRX Black/Chrome accessory vents (right/left set): 22844649

Chris at RippyAutomotive is your friend here. His prices were WAY better than what I could find anywhere else (even with shipping). List on the original vents was $188.55 each, his price was $141.41 each. List on the accessory version is $425 for the set, his price was $371.88. Plus he's VERY helpful - I could have NEVER completed this mod without the schematics he sent.

One specialty item you will need is two computer motherboard headers. These are the connectors that plug into to pins on a computer motherboard from the front panel LED/switches, or the front panel USB. You are looking for the 5x2 arrangement (very common). You can find them on eBay (search for USB header), or drop buy your local computer service shop and they may even give you some from a junk tower. This is your key to easily making a plug for the new vents since this part is not available yet for purchase.

Computer motherboard header (unmodified):

Other items you will need :
    -wire (I bought a 40ft roll of 18 gauge black wire at AutoZone, used about half of it)
    -heat shrink tube (they an assorted set at AutoZone in a really nice tackle-type box for $10
    -crimp-on wire splice connectors (the red ones)
    -electrical tape

Let's start! We'll begin by removing the original vents. The vents are held in place by two plastic clips.

(back of original vent - the orange things are the clips)

They are removed by squeezing plastic clips, and simply pulling the vent off. The trick is getting to said clips. First cut the steering wheel all the way to left or right (depending on what side you are working on. Now remove the two lower screws along the outer edge of the wheel liner, next to the vent. You will also want to remove one plastic push clip at the top of the wheel liner. Pull back the wheel liner, reach your hand/arm inside the car and feel for the two plastic clips.

There will be one at the top, and one at the bottom. Pull the vent loose, and disconnect the electrical plug. Leave the plug hanging out the hole. We'll need that later. The passenger side is a breeze. Once you get to the driver's side, take a moment to appreciate the creative engineering that went into the design of the shape windshield washer fluid reservoir....because you will be cursing those engineers in a moment. Where the passenger side was roomy and easy to work with - this side is totally the opposite. The aforementioned tank makes it a very tight squeeze to get your hand/arm in. The bottom clip is hard enough.....but that top clip, don't say I didn't warn you. Took me about twenty minutes! The way I finally got it loose was this: sit beside the vent, your body facing the front of the car, use your right hand harm to access the top clip. This sounds the opposite of how you would want to do it, but it's what finally worked for me.

vent removed!

Now that the vents are off we'll need to run a new wire to each vent from the parking light circuit. The easiest point of access for this that I could find was the wiring harness for the passenger side headlight. You will be looking for a small dark brown wire, with a grey stripe. It is near the end of one end of the plug, one wire between it and the end of the plug. I used a crimp splice connector, and tied my 18 gauge wire into that.

From there I routed the wire to each vent, splitting the wire into two with another crimp connector near the rear passenger side of the firewall. I tried to run the wire in such a way that it was hidden from view, would not get pinched/rubbed, and would not come into contact with anything hot. There is easy access on each side of the engine bay down into the side of the car, so this doesn't require too much work. I basically followed the passenger side of the engine bay, behind the air filter box, split the cable in the rear passenger corner of the engine bay. One wire went down to the passenger side vent, the other wire followed the firewall to the other side. I zip-tied it to an existing harness that runs along the top edge of the firewall, then down to the other vent. Anywhere I though the wire could come into contact with something that could damage it I used some corrugated plastic wire loom.

Now we should have three wires coming out of each vent hole; one parking light power wire (the one you just ran), one turn signal power wire, and one ground. The latter two of the three will be the existing factory plug. The ground will be the black one, the power will be some other color. I chose to use some more of those crimp connectors behind the factory plug so that everything could be reversed if for some reason you needed to. Next I crimped on some of the 18 gauge wire on each of the factory wires, behind the plug, about 6 inches each. The wires that will be coming from your computer header are two small for the crimp connectors, so this is a necessary step. Be sure to slide a piece of heats rink tube on each of the three 18 gauge wires you now have, we'll need this soon. Next use some cutters and carefully cut away some of the computer header, so that it's now a 2x3 instead of a 2x5 connector. This will allow it to plug into the connector on the back of the new vent.

computer header modified to fit new vent:

Now, use my pin out and solder each of your three wires to the correct wire coming from the computer header.

The ground will go to pin 5. The parking light power goes to pin 2. The Turn signal wire goes to pin 1. The rest of the wires are not used. Next slide your heat shrink tubing over each of your solder joints and heat it up until it forms a good seal over each wire. At this point I wrapped the whole thing in electrical tape, and some corrugated plastic wire loom over that.

Now would be a good time to hook up your new vents and make sure they work. Turn on your parking lights, the light pipe should be white. Now turn on the hazards....a bright amber LED should start flashing, and in unison the light pipe will flash amber. Notice that in between flashes the light pipe is actually off, not white. Now turn off the hazards, the light pipe and LED will stop flashing, and the light pipe will remain off for a few seconds....then automatically go back to white! Here is my test run: http://youtu.be/jR2iuwTwjYU

Now comes the part of this mod that may stop some people from doing it. Some slight modification to the body panel is required. Luckily I have a good friend who is in that business who did it as a favor for me for free. If you choose to hire someone it should take them less than an hour to make the changes. If I didn't have the friend I think I could have done it myself. The two small holes at the bottom are perfect, and the lower of the top two holes is perfect. You will have to drill a new top hole, and make the large hole for the wiring bigger. I made a template to help me visualize it, and my body guy liked it so much he ended up using it. Said it made it much easier/quicker. If you make a good template, and line it up with the bottom two holes, and the one hole that still lines up at the top, the edge of the template running alongside the door should line up perfect.

version 1.0 and 2.0 of my template...note that you can use the same template on both sides, just flip it over!

Tape it in place and this will let you mark off the changes you need to make. My body guy used an air tool with a grinding attachment make the big hole bigger, and then just a regular drill bit for the new small hole. We then used some touch up paint on any bare metal to prevent rusting. Keep in mind that even if you wanted to put the old vents back on you could! The original mounting holes are still there, and the modifications you made will still be covered up by the old vent!

body after we modified it:

Now if you/your body guy is as good as mine your vents will snap right in like the originals. Mine fit perfect, are nice and flush and tight! don't forget before you snap them in to plug in your new wiring harness, being careful to plug it in the right direction. I filled the void between my homemade plug and the outer edge of the plug on the vent with hot glue to prevent it from coming out, and to keep out moisture.

homemade plug/harness plugged in, and filled with hot glue:

That's it. Grab a beer and appreciate your 2010.13 SRX!

jrose7004, Jake2010 and ladypro like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DTurmel is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX 2012 AWD Luxury
    Cool mod! I always liked the vents on the 13s.

However I'm disappointed as I don't think I am up doing this myself.

Thanks for taking the time to share the instructions

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Re: DIY: How to upgrade your 2010-2012 SRX Side Vents to the new 2013 style

Awesome job! Thanks for taking the time to document this for those that might want to try this great mod out.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Awesome job Dave!
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)
    awesome job and write-up

This is what the forum is all about

Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

derek98z is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS, 2011 SRX

Very awesome write up

btk301 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): srx

Holy Crap...Thanks for the information. Glad I didn't even try it. I'm an "old" mechanic, by trade. Not a mechanical engineer. Not even going to attempt it. Thanks so much anyway...

Barry

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    awesome job and write-up

This is what the forum is all about

So have the number of fender vents being ordered through you spiked since the post of this?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
    davedogcaddy likes this.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

.... LOL ... zero orders total
    davedogcaddy likes this.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

mm9351 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX AWD LUXURY

Nice mod! But the turn signals are hopelessly lost, correct? Seem like a compromise...

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Quote Originally Posted by mm9351 View Post
    Nice mod! But the turn signals are hopelessly lost, correct? Seem like a compromise...
    Looks like a stealth turn signal to me...

westham is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury

A very cool Mod, but a lot of work to do the change out, I think I'm sticking with the original side vent. But thanks for posting it was very interesting and very well written and presented.

algiorda is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 , 2010, 2014 Luxury Raven Blk w/Ebony

That is a sweet upgrade. I would love to do it. Maybe I can talk my son into doing it for me, he's pretty good with this stuff.

Thanks for the write-up...it's really appreciated!!!

davedogcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium (3.0L, FWD), 2008 CTS (3.6L DI, AWD)

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    .... LOL ... zero orders total
    Sorry Buddy!

At least I know I may still have the only '2010.13' SRX out there! lol

Indy_Mike is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance Collection

I wish I could pull this off....I already have the 2013 polished aluminum 20" wheels on my 2012, if I had this mod my 2012 would almost be a 2013 on the outside! Thanks for these excellent instructions!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.