Prospective Owner Questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Prospective Owner Questions in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hello forum members. My CTS lease is expiring next week and my wife and I are looking at leasing a ...
    desertpar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Prospective Owner Questions

Hello forum members. My CTS lease is expiring next week and my wife and I are looking at leasing a 2013 SRX Luxury but we had a couple of questions you may be able to help us with. I did a search but didn't find any recent relevant posts. The SRX looks like a very nice vehicle, however during a short test drive the transmission seemed to hesitate when downshifting during deceleration and was not very smooth during acceleration. I'm not sure if it just hasn't gone through a "learning" period or if it will always shift this way. Also, the brakes seem to be somewhat spongy and not very responsive (I recognize this is a fairly heavy vehicle). I'm not sure what the stopping distance from 60-0 is supposed to be but they seemed much less responsive than the brakes on my CTS. They don't appear to be Brembos and since the test drive was not very long, perhaps I am simply not used to them and they will seat better over time. I would appreciate any comments from those of you who currently drive 2013 SRX's regarding these 2 concerns or anything else which would help us make a final decision. We will be returning the CTS, which has had no problems and which we have enjoyed, next week and are simply looking for a change. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Re: Prospective Owner Questions

Sorry, don't have SRX experience, however, test drive another vehicle; if the driving conditions (you describe) remain, that is probably the nature of the beast. It may just be the CTS is superior in the driving experience you are used to. Hopefully some SRX owners will also soon post, good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks for replying. We plan to take another test drive today in a different SRX. We do like the vehicle and hope any current owners will let us know their thoughts on shifting and brakes.

shoeman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Luxury Platinum Tri Coat

Hi Desertpar. The 2013 SRX LUXURY is a great vehicle. I got mine in Mid April and love it . The comfort of the drive and how quiet it is makes for a beautiful highway cruiser . I will agree with you that the brakes did feel mushy when mine was new , and still are, but not the same as before. The transmission shifting will learn to adapt to your driving style as mine has. One tip for you is to place ECO mode in on position, I find that this does slow the juice up a slight amount , yet the tranny will shift a touch smoother. I totally recommend this ride. Shoe

phunter1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury

I have a 2012, but the transmission and brakes are the same as the 2013. My trans didn't shift very well in ECO mode until it learned my driving style. I believe this is fairly common. There is a button on the console to turn ECO on and off. In fact, I drove mine in standard mode for a while because it shifted much better in that mode. Now that it has "learned" it shifts very well in all modes. It's a shame the basic program in the trans isn't better from the factory, because it is probably costing Cadillac some sales. One of the things I noticed about the brakes right away is the higher pedal effort. It is higher than any car I have ever owned with power brakes. That said, I have now gotten use to it and the vehicle stops well. In fact, I now prefer it to a softer pedal. When I drive my wife's car, I have to be careful not to jam on the brakes because the pedal effort is so much less. If the brake pedal fells spongy, I'd say that is not normal, and you should drive a different SRX to see if the pedal feels the same to you. Hope this helps.

Phil

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV
    Quote Originally Posted by phunter1
    I have a 2012, but the transmission and brakes are the same as the 2013. My trans didn't shift very well in ECO mode until it learned my driving style. I believe this is fairly common. There is a button on the console to turn ECO on and off. In fact, I drove mine in standard mode for a while because it shifted much better in that mode. Now that it has "learned" it shifts very well in all modes. It's a shame the basic program in the trans isn't better from the factory, because it is probably costing Cadillac some sales. One of the things I noticed about the brakes right away is the higher pedal effort. It is higher than any car I have ever owned with power brakes. That said, I have now gotten use to it and the vehicle stops well. In fact, I now prefer it to a softer pedal. When I drive my wife's car, I have to be careful not to jam on the brakes because the pedal effort is so much less. If the brake pedal fells spongy, I'd say that is not normal, and you should drive a different SRX to see if the pedal feels the same to you. Hope this helps.

Phil
    With 7800 miles on my 2012 AWD Luxury, I've found ECO mode to be very rough in terms of shifting. I've stopped using it altogether, and experience much smoother shifts.

erdoc48 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD, Platinum Ice

The Mrs. and I now have 12K on our 2012 Performance and although I tried the ECO mode a few times, I didn't like it and don't use it at all- it runs quite a bit differently and for 1 mpg, I'd rather have appropriate power delivery.

shoeman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Luxury Platinum Tri Coat

Interesting that all who have chimed in here have said that ECO mode is either a harder or rougher shift , as I have not found that in my 2013 Luxury. As a test I am going to take it out of ECO tonight when I go out and leave it for a few days and see the difference, as I did put it in ECO a few days after I took delivery and now have 4500 k on it. Shoe

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeman
    Interesting that all who have chimed in here have said that ECO mode is either a harder or rougher shift , as I have not found that in my 2013 Luxury. As a test I am going to take it out of ECO tonight when I go out and leave it for a few days and see the difference, as I did put it in ECO a few days after I took delivery and now have 4500 k on it. Shoe
    I tried it both ways. Each time I used Eco mode the results wee the same. As others have pointed out, the difference in fuel economy is minimal. I do like the engine braking when in Eco mode. This saves wear and tear on brakes.

Likely is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium Collection FWD

Don't hesitate, you will be mighty happy..... I have 2013 premuim collection, love it. Don't be concerned with the brakes. All the 2013's that i test drove, were the same feel on the brakes. This Vehicle rides so smooth and the handling is outstanding. Go for it now!!!!! You won't be sorry...

The 3.6 engine is so smooth running and the mileage will average 18 to 22. Not bad for an 4800lb unit. The CUE system, I am still learning each time I drive it. It's amazing what it can do!!Good luck, what ever you decide to do...

Likely

paid4c4 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX/AWD Premium

We have a 2012 with 14K and love it. The brakes work well and the transmission seemed to learn my driving style. I have not complaints and would buy another SRX.
    Bill

themacguy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Base
    Since I Tuned my SRX, the shifting is MUCH better in Normal mode and outstanding in Sport mode. Much more aggressive when you floor it. This is the way it should of come from the factory.
    I don't bother with ECO mode anymore.

Gas milage has actually gone up slightly...

Around town stop and go driving is about the same. Just not as much lag in upshifts and much better throttle response.

The extra power on tap is nice too!

Good news! We took a different 2013 SRX on an extended drive with much better results. The shifting and braking seemed to be much better. I turned off the eco mode. I'm not sure whether being in eco mode was part of the problem with the previous vehicle's shift points but this time it was quite a bit smoother. There seemed to still be a bit of hesitation on down shifts, but more time for the transmission to "learn" will probably cure that. The brakes also seemed to work better. I'm not sure if this car was that much better or if I just got more used to them. As someone else mentioned, they do require a firmer push to engage but seemed fairly effective. I think part of my problem is that I have excellent brakes on my CTS and outstanding brakes on my new ATS (the best brakes I have ever experienced on a volume produced car). The CUE system works great in the SRX. We have become familiar with it while using our ATS, and the CUE in the SRX is every bit as good. We are also impressed with how quiet the SRX is. The wife will be making the final decision but we will probably be returning the terminated CTS and leasing the SRX this weekend. Thanks for all your helpful input.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

We're so excited for you, desertpar! Hopefully your time in the CTS was more than satisfactory and we have high hopes for you in your new SRX. Be sure to post pictures when you have the chance, and have a great weekend!

Sarah (Assisting Laura)
    Cadillac Customer Care

retcad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

Cool Re: Prospective Owner Questions

I often find myself caught up in the in the 'minutia' of bumps and rattles and leaks that all cars, new or old, have.

We're driving SRXs. That in and of itself is a cause for joy, because we're obviously doing better than most in these crappy economics.

Most problems go away, as our 'babies' get adjusted to our driving habits.

I love my SRX. It ain't my old Crown Victoria, which I also loved.

But with that tight steering, quick zip and great cornering, it's a winner.

It's a crossover. An SUV.

Takes a little gettin' used to if you previously owned a big ark, like I did.

And the look is equal to the drive!

Test drive it. Do the sport and manual mode.

Take it on backroads and highways.

And do your best not to fall in love.

You'll fail.
    TheCaptain and Ponyman like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.