Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Key fobs locked in srx again

75K views 63 replies 35 participants last post by  cady4me 
#1 ·
We purchased our 2011 SRX 6 months ago and just love the vehicle. The only problem we have had is my wife has locked both key fobs in the vehicle twice. On-Star has unlocked the vehicle both times. Is there a way to keep this from happening? What am I missing? It is a fwd luxury model.

#4 ·
There are places in the car where the keys can hide and the sensor wont find them 'inside' (and do the beeps, etc). I locked mine in once, when I tossed a jacket with my keys in the pocket over the back seat. Never got any warning. Onstar opened. I have left my keys in my golf bag several times, but realize it just as the hatch closed. There's a few seconds before the locks engage that I've been able to get it open.
I dont think its hard at all to lock keys in the rear cargo area.

#10 ·
Hello C5msg,

I did some research on your behalf and see that in your owner’s manual on chapter 2 page 5 it says:

“Some vehicles have the keyless access system that lets you lock and unlock the doors and access the liftgate without removing the remote transmitter from your pocket, purse, briefcase, etc. The keyless entry transmitter must be within 1m (3 ft) of the door being opened. If the vehicle has this feature, there will be a body colored touch pad on the outside front door handles.

Keyless Unlocking: With the transmitter within 1m (3 ft), approach the front door and pull the handle. If the transmitter is recognized, the door will unlock and open. Entering any door other than the driver door will always cause all of the doors to unlock. This is not customizable. To customize which doors unlock when the driver’s door is opened, see “Passive Unlock” under Vehicle Personalization on page 5‑42”

I also see that the process for setting up a remote left in vehicle reminder on chapter 5, page 48.I hope this information helps. Please reach out to us via private message if you have any further questions. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

----------

I purchased a 2013 srx two weeks ago. Every day I put my purse with the key faub and diaper bag in the back seat and secure my child in his car seat, close the door, open the front door and drive away. Yesterday when I shut the rear door all doors locked. My key, cell phone and 1 year old were locked inside. I hadn't learned the benefits of Onstar so I call the police department because it was 95 degrees outside. Now I will always keep the key faub on me. I didn't think the doors were supposed to lock with the key faub inside. Is there something wrong with my vehicle?
Hello Carry,

I apologize that when you shut the rear door all the doors locked. Starting on chapter 5 page 40, there are instructions on how to personalize your vehicle’s power door locks and then on chapter 5 page 43 it explains your options. It also explains the remote left in vehicle reminder that I mentioned to C5msg. I hope this information helps. Please let me know if there is anything else I am able to assist you with. Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#9 ·
I purchased a 2013 srx two weeks ago. Every day I put my purse with the key faub and diaper bag in the back seat and secure my child in his car seat, close the door, open the front door and drive away. Yesterday when I shut the rear door all doors locked. My key, cell phone and 1 year old were locked inside. I hadn't learned the benefits of Onstar so I call the police department because it was 95 degrees outside. Now I will always keep the key faub on me. I didn't think the doors were supposed to lock with the key faub inside. Is there something wrong with my vehicle?

#62 ·
I have a 2013 SRX and this also happened to me the other weekend. While traveling out of town with our 9 month old granddaughter, we stopped at a Walmart. I dropped off my husband to run in for some items while I drove to the gas area to fill up. I turned off the engine, got out, closed the driver door, and heard the 3 chirps indicating that the key was in the car. But for the 4 years I've had the vehicle, I always do this when I get gas and the car has never locked. Well what I didn't know was that the key fob my husband was using and the one I keep in my purse were both in the car. The doors locked with both fobs, my purse, my cell phone, and my granddaughter inside! After the initial panic, we called OnStar (thank goodness I continued to pay them way too much to keep the service, but on this particular day it was worth every penny!) and they had it unlocked in minutes. So is this something that only happens if BOTH fobs are in the car? Could one of my fobs' batteries be going bad? I just can't understand why this would happen when it hasn't done it before.

#12 ·
I know this may not help the ladies with cell phones left in purses, but I got the My Cadillac app for my iPhone with the OnStar Remote Link which allows you to start, lock, unlock, blow horns & lights using your cell phone from anywhere on earth! This could get you out of many situations as long as you've got your cell phone.

#14 ·
If all this is true (and just for S's & G's I'm not going to do any testing), then it's not a very well engineered system. My other car also has the prox keys and there is no way you can lock the fobs in the car or in the trunk....it just isn't going to happen....but then again, everything else on the car works properly also. I guess for the extra $20,000 I paid for the Cadillac over my other car I must have signed up for beta testing, also.

#16 ·
Cadillac's system is the best bar none. Sure, Acuras will prevent you from locking your key fob in the car, but Cadillac also locks your vehicle automatically depending on your model when you walk away with the fob on your person. As The Captain posted the system can be programmed to prevent lockout.

#17 ·
Try to set the "Remote Left In Vehicle Reminder" found on page 5-45 of the owners manual.

I have that set to "On". When exiting and the drivers RKE is still in the vehicle, the horn chirps 3 times and the doors will not lock.

It is possible to lock an RKE in the car if one RKE was removed. I left my wife's RKE in the car while leaving the vehicle with my RKE. The horn did not chirp and I was able to lock the doors. The doors could not be unlocked without returning with the RKE that had left. My wife's purse was on the passenger seat, but the doors would not unlock until I had my RKE next to the door. It seems to me the locking is well thought out and an RKE that is the only one around cannot be locked in the vehicle if the Remote Left In Vehicle Reminder is On.

#18 ·
This is another reason that Cadillac (all marques for that matter) should still provide a valet key. I hide the valet key somewhere in the vehicle to protect me from losing my keys in some location that is inconvenient/dangerous. In my wallet I carry a key that will only open a door. This protects me from both the keys locked in the car and the lost key scenario.

#21 ·
Yes, the SRX can be locked with another key fob in the car. That is called theft prevention. It is not surprising to me how many people leave their keys in the car, most of whom are either too lazy to take them with them and/or just like to get in and go. Talk to any police officer and s/he will tell you most cars are stolen and/or things stolen out of vehicles because the doors are not locked.

The last time I checked, no one is putting a banana to anyone's head to buy a Cadillac. Maybe Cadillac should have a message played thru the audio system at the highest volume to take your keys with yourself or face the consequences of your stupidity and/or laziness. However, someone would sue Cadillac for millions saying their hearing was damaged and their feelings were hurt. I was in a 720iL BMW a few years ago and the car talked to me for what seemed a minute or so telling me all the things I should be doing and aware of before driving away. It did say please and thank you though.

#22 ·
I remember seeing a case on The People's Court. A woman was accused of a hit and run accident and denied any involvement. It was clear that her vehicle was involved, but that she was definitely not the driver. It came out that she had a habit of leaving her keys in the car at work all the time, and that a similar incident had happened before. The case was decided against her. Afterwards during her comments, she said that she would likely continue to leave the keys in the car. No amount of technology can compensate for this type of irresponsible behavior. If you drive a car that you have programmed to automatically lock after you exit the vehicle, you'd better be sure to take your keys. The auto lock is completely controlled by the person and not the car.

#24 ·
I put my RKE fob in the indentation behind the shifter, the doors looked and wouldn't unlock. I purposely put the transmitter in the vehicle which was in the garage, so I could walk out and not need the transmitter to get in, wrong. I guess that position is just over the 3 ft. limit, I just don't understand the auto lock logic with the RKE in the vehicle, I was glad to have the OnStar Mobile Remote to unlock it.

#26 ·
I would like an option in vehicle set-up that when you shut vehicle off and leave RKE in the vehicle the horn would sound like it does and the lights would flash, but not lock the vehicle. Next it would send an immediate text to your on-star registered phone that the RKE is in the vehicle in case you left it in there by mistake. I would like to leave the RKE in my vehicle at times while I'm working on it so the doors don't keep locking. I find it annoying as I frequently like to go in and out of my SRX while it's in the garage and it keeps locking the doors. I don't always want to keep the RKE in my pocket and need to press the door handle button to un-lock. I just want to pull the handle on an un-locked door.

#35 ·
Laura

Why is it the Cadillac customer service does not get it? We need the option of preventing the drivers door from locking if even one faub is in the vehicle. The SRX is my wife's car and she will lock the doors before exiting and then when she closes the drivers door - a beep and then "locked". We need to be able to set an option to prevent locking if any faub is in the car (especially in the front seat area).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.