Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Key fobs locked in srx again

75K views 63 replies 35 participants last post by  cady4me 
#1 ·
We purchased our 2011 SRX 6 months ago and just love the vehicle. The only problem we have had is my wife has locked both key fobs in the vehicle twice. On-Star has unlocked the vehicle both times. Is there a way to keep this from happening? What am I missing? It is a fwd luxury model.

#37 ·
carbeck said:
Disable the auto-locking function until Cadillac finally implements such an option?
I am trying my hardest to understand this issue. If you disable the autolock feature problem solved, or if you are unwilling to do so, and refuse to adjust your locking the car before you exit preference, make sure you have onstar who can preform an unlock remotely. This is seems more of user error, rather than a flaw of the system. Perhaps I'm missing something, There is no way any car maker could account for all of the different options and preferences and ensure that no one would ever lock there keys in the car. ...in my own testing, with the autolock feature turned off I was unable to lock the car from the outside, if the fob was in the front seat, back seat, or cargo area. Perhaps my 2012 SRX, luxury was updated somehow.

#38 ·
The system was designed to have the key fob in your pocket if I remember from the original Corvette application many years ago. I assume at the time they were thinking men only and no car seats and/or murses, etc. Time marches on, but the tech remained the same and was applied to other GM vehicles. Convenience comes at a price, but it also comes with the inevitable bugs. There is no perfect system as long as humans are involved.

#41 ·
I love that the SRX will lock itself when you are out of the vehicle, especially at gas stations where all kinds of degenerates eyeball your ride. I even had one come over from 3 pumps over this summer to "have a peek" inside. He told me he was a Christian and was not a thief. Right.

#42 ·
There was a comment about cars having this feature having touch pads not so I have this feature & don't have touch pads. Also no horn beeps before lock out. I was at Caddillac & they were working on my vehicle & they spent 45 minutes getting access for me & they still don't know what is wrong. My solution I ordered another pass key, not the whole fob.

#43 ·
I don't want to disparage the Cadillac for another brand but i have to say that I have this feature on another vehicle and there is no question it was better executed.

I have been frustrated with the proximity required, the way that the handles operate to lock and unlock etc since I purchased my SRX.

There are better versions out there and when you've had one you can appreciate the difference.

#45 ·
I got out of my SRX, walked around to the front door of my house, realized I didn't have my house keys, walked back and opened the passenger door of my car to see if they were there, realized I didn't have them so I left my purse, my keys and my phones on the passenger seat to go around back and access my home through another door only to return to find my car locked with my keys, my purse and both of my phones on the passenger seat. There was no triple horn which is set up and goes off normally when my keys are in it. Why would a car auto lock with the FOB in it?! That makes NO sense to me. I'm sitting here at 10pm at night waiting for AAA....because Onstar can't help unless I'm in my car....yet another mystery. I bought my SRX used in 2012 (it's a 2011) and the dealer did not have a second FOB.

Please update your profile to show correct information and time zone.

#48 ·
First Cadillac and after reading through this thread I'm thinking I might need to do what many of us use to do and some still do. Have another key made (one that is part of the FOB) and place it somewhere outside the car. If it does get locked in, you can use it to open the door.

#51 ·
I have a 2011 Cadillac Srx and have been lock out of the car several times due to the auto lock feature. ( key fob was left in the car ) I took a copy of the tech bulletin (reference earlier in this thread) to my dealer and they reprogrammed the car, now the autolock feature has been disabled by the reprogramming. That's Cadillac's answer to the problem. No more auto lock, you now must use the lock button on the key fob or the lock button on the door handle. So sad that Cadillac thinks so little of their customers.

#54 ·
No, the new software update has permanently disabled the autolock feature. Something I could have done myself in the menu but I guess GM wants it completely disable so some expecting person doesn't turn it on and get locked out.

The dealer does not tell you its going to be disabled they let the customer figure that out for them selves.

#55 ·
Oh, the last time our software was updated for this, it supposedly made the vehicle more sensitive to detect the fob inside the vehicle. I guess it's just like my Avalanche that was supposed to have heated washer fluid but they screwed it up so instead of fixing it, they just disabled it. Not good. We happen to like the feature as many times our hands are full and it's nice to not have to do anything to lock the car and know it's locked when the horn beeps.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#56 ·
Hey guys, a smart solution, pull door entry key out of fob, get a copy made at your local lock smith for about $ 50.00 and then
wrap it in plastic, tie wrap behind front license plate. Voila, you're secure, you always have a spare key to get into vehicle !
Smart idea for anybody, especially long distance travelers. Say "thank you Billy".

#61 ·
Ha, well that is nice for 2014+. Maybe that is why the new software on the older models disabled auto lock! My wife got locked out at the gas station with my infant son still in the car. The key fob was sitting right in the little pocket to the rear of the gear shift. Luckily I was only a couple miles away. This is the only reason I've considered renewing onstar, for the remote unlock. Anyway, she now keeps the fob in her pocket where it is supposed to be!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#63 ·
I have never had both FOB's in the car and closed the doors, so I can not answer that question. We do have the Cadillac app on both of our phones so either my wife or myself can open the doors from anyplace, as long as you do not have both FOB's and phones in the car at the same time. Now this does assume you are paying for basic OnStar. I was happy to read your situation was handled quickly.

#64 ·
It could be what is next to the keys in your bag. My keys often fail to open the
driver door. I have the key in my pocket along with my cell phone. If I just
reach into my pocket and shift the keys and cell phone around then it will work.
The cell phone seems to block the signal from the keys. Weird!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.