FINALLY! Snagged the 2013 MY style lower grill! (& a question for 2013 owners)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, FINALLY! Snagged the 2013 MY style lower grill! (& a question for 2013 owners) in Cadillac SRX Forums; After much searching I finally tracked down the 2013 style lower grill for my 2010 SRX! I had messaged several ...
    davedogcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium (3.0L, FWD), 2008 CTS (3.6L DI, AWD)

FINALLY! Snagged the 2013 MY style lower grill! (& a question for 2013 owners)

After much searching I finally tracked down the 2013 style lower grill for my 2010 SRX! I had messaged several eBay sellers who had sold kits with both the upper & lower, asking if they ever came across a *just* lower to let me know. One seller was nice enough to remember and about a month later, let me know he had one.

Since there is so much discussion about how to remove the front fascia (and since I have already done it once to swap out the upper grill), I'll probably make a how to video and post it here.

NOW, a question for the 2013 SRX owners:

The updated side vents - I know they have some sort of ambient lighting in them....is this tied to the parking lights? What about a turn signal indicator? Is it still built into the side vent somewhere? I'm thinking about updating my side vents but trying to see what would be involved.

Anybody purchase this yet? If you have I'd like to buy your original chrome ones (lol). Not sure how the black accent would look on a red car:
    http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/Cadillac/SRX/Exterior/Side%20Air%20Vent/?dealer_code=119110&makes=Cadillac&referringURL=ww w.olsencadillac.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Re: FINALLY! Snagged the 2013 MY style lower grill! (& a question for 2013 owners)

The side vents on '13's have two functions. The running lights in white 'light pipe' style, and a turn signal.
    The '10-'12 only have turn signal functions, and are a 194 (small) bulb. I do not know how the '13 connects.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Re: FINALLY! Snagged the 2013 MY style lower grill! (& a question for 2013 owners)

Thanks Captain!

so there is still a turn signal in the vent, it's just less obvious now I guess? What part blinks? Just curious. Since I already have power for the turn signal I guess it would just be a matter of running some power from the parking lights to run the light pipe. I would guess that the mounting of the vent hasn't changed....

anybody done this upgrade yet? Surely I'm not the 1st....

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by davedogcaddy View Post
    Thanks Captain!

so there is still a turn signal in the vent, it's just less obvious now I guess? What part blinks? Just curious. Since I already have power for the turn signal I guess it would just be a matter of running some power from the parking lights to run the light pipe. I would guess that the mounting of the vent hasn't changed....

anybody done this upgrade yet? Surely I'm not the 1st....
    The LED lighting is some what less obvious when viewing it from the front of the SRX. The LED pipe light turns from white to amber when the signals are flashing as does the top part of the LED pipe that has a small circular LED bulb that flashes too in conjunction with the LED pipe lighting.

wow, thanks Marc for that info! and those are GREAT pics! Just what I was looking for. Now, if the light pipe actually changes color when the turn signals are on this would mean it uses LEDs that change color when you reverse the polarity, which would make this a considerably harder mod to pull off. I was hoping to just re-use the power for the turn signal feature from the original vent, then run 12v from the parking lights to power the light pipe.

Do you think the pipe itself is changing colors, or it's just picking up the bright light from the amber turn signal LED that appears to be at the top?

I've got some requests out to some vendors that stock the GM accessory version of the new style vent for some pictures of the back, which if I can see how many connectors and/or wires it uses may help me figure out how doable this project is.

I'll keep you guys in the loop.

P.S. Got the 2013 MY style lower grill installed last night.....looks AWESOME! also.....nice wheels!

Just heard back from a vendor who kindly provided me with some pics of the dual-tone (chrome/black) GM accessory version of the the 2013 side vents, including a photo of the back. This is looking more complicated than I had hoped. I'm seeing a connector on the back with 6 pins. Could be two white LEDs for the light pipe (one at the top & one at the bottom), and one amber LED for the turn signal? But this raises more questions. Are the LEDs 12V? and do the light pipe ones always show white are they actually LEDs that change color polarity? I really want to make this work....but I'm starting to think it won't be a simple as I had hoped. If anyone can chime in and give me their opinion on if the light pipe lights actually change color or if it's just picking up light from the turn signal LED that would be helpful. Here are some pics of the accessory version.

----------

Also, Captain - I recall you had a 2010 and that you had changed the bulbs in the side vents to LED....do you recall what the connector was like? was it just two wires? I'm assuming it is *nothing* like what is in the picture above?

You are correct. The '10-'12's have a two wire to 194 T bulb socket that twists to lock into the vent. The new '13+'s look like they use a computer CANBUS based connector. Then the vehicle can tell if it burnt out or not.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    You are correct. The '10-'12's have a two wire to 194 T bulb socket that twists to lock into the vent. The new '13+'s look like they use a computer CANBUS based connector. Then the vehicle can tell if it burnt out or not.
    thank you for your info! Looks like the only way I could make this work would be to have a pin-out of the connector, and some technical specs on the LEDs (voltage, etc). I'm sure I could pull it off if I had that info, however I doubt it's documented anywhere for the end user to find, and I sure don't want to experiment on a brand new $400+ set. I guess for now I'll wait for them to show up in the bone yard/eBay unless I come across any tech specs.

Every now and then you run across an employee who is willing to go above and beyond what is required. Just heard back from the guy who sent me the pics yesterday:

I will contact one of my technicians today, and hopefully have an answer for you later on today. These do have a 6 pin connector where the 2010-2012 only has the 2 pin connector, let me see what I can find out for you.

Right on!

rep replied that his tech couldn't find any information on a way to adapt the new vent's wiring to the 2010-2012s. So I guess for now I will not be pursuing this mod until either someone else figures out the pinout/voltages, or until I find a cheap set of vents on eBay or in a junk yard.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

PM me your email address and i'll try and send some pdfs that might help
    davedogcaddy likes this.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

PM sent! Thanks for your time!

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

no problem

i just looked up the connector end view that shows the connector body and the pinouts for the connector so you can tell what goes where
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

awesome! that helps, looks like by original assumption was correct, just needs power from the turn signal circuit, and power from the parking lights. 4 of the power leads are grounds! Do you have any documents that would tell you voltages? Thanks again, if I can get this worked out in my head I may just order a set from you!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.