FINALLY! Snagged the 2013 MY style lower grill! (& a question for 2013 owners) - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, FINALLY! Snagged the 2013 MY style lower grill! (& a question for 2013 owners) in Cadillac SRX Forums; yeah, it's not listed there. I'm looking for the parking lights circuit (which is the LED light tubs on the ...
    davedogcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium (3.0L, FWD), 2008 CTS (3.6L DI, AWD)

Re: FINALLY! Snagged the 2013 MY style lower grill! (& a question for 2013 owners)

yeah, it's not listed there. I'm looking for the parking lights circuit (which is the LED light tubs on the headlights & tail lights). I'm going to call you shortly about ordering those vents.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: FINALLY! Snagged the 2013 MY style lower grill! (& a question for 2013 owners)

i sent the park lights circuit schematic
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

thanks Chris, that's what I needed. Is that for the 2010 SRX?

that's for the 2013 ... do you need one for 2010?
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

my bad, yes, for this diagram I need the 2010 - since mine is a 2010 and I need to figure out where the parking light wire is. I should have said that.....sorry....

ok, another one coming your way

Chris,

I never got the 2010 parking light diagram via email - HOWEVER, don't worry about it. Looks like they have not changed anything....I used your 2013 diagram and was able to find the parking light circuit on the wiring harness going to the passenger side (right) headlight. It is a dark brown wire with a grey stripe. This means it will be very easy to tie into this circuit as you just pop the hood, and look down directly beside the right headlight and there is the harness. Very short distance from there to each side vent. I will probably just pull the power for both sides from there since it's very hard to get to the harness for the left headlight.

Also, I can confirm that even though all the parking lights on the SRX are LED, they run at 12v (checked the Brown/Grey wire to ground with my multi-meter, 12v when I turn on the parking light switch). This means we now know that both the light pipe and the turn signal LED in the 2013 side vents are 12v.

Chris was very helpful and we got the new vents on order this morning. This will be a fun little project, I will keep you guys posted on the progress. I would say at this point the hardest part will be to come up with a way to tie the wires into the back of the new vent. Probably will involve some soldering, heat-shrink tubing, and some hot glue for weather-proofing.

cool... i'm excited for you to get this mod/upfit competed ... make sure to take pictures to document the process

I plan on documenting it, I'll share the pics here. I think I will also add an in-line fuse to the parking light wire I'm adding, right after where I tie into the factory harness, just in case. Anyone have any opinion on a rating for that fuse? It will only be powering two LED light pipes, but I just want to ensure that if the wire I add were to ever get damaged somehow that I wouldn't hurt anything in the car.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 13 SRX AWD 3.6L Premium - Platinum Ice Metallic

I'll pop this baby into the DIY thread too once you're done Dave! Can't wait to see it!
    davedogcaddy likes this.

Thanks Captian!

Fedex is showing the new vents will arrive today (thanks to Chris/Rippy)! I ran out and picked up all kinds of goodies; 18 gauge wire, heat-shrink, splice connectors, etc. In talking to some people I think I was over-thinking the extra fuse. If there ever were a short the fuse built into the car for that circuit would suffice. So I think I've talked myself out of the in-line fuse.

Got the new vents in. I have a motherboard header that fits perfectly over the pins so building the plug will be easy. Here's where I'm stuck at:

Vent Has 6 pins. Two rows of 3 pins.

Pin 1 is turn signal power
    Pin 2 is parking light power
    Pin 3 is ground
    Pin 4 is ground
    Pin 5 is ground
    Pin 6 is ground

I can apply 12v to pins 2 & 5 and get the parking light to light up.
    No combination that I can figure out will make the turn signal LED light up. (should be pins 1 & 4)

Any ideas?

Good news! I figured out the wiring. I'll explain in detail (which pictures) later, but I have the turn signal & parking lights on the new vents figured out and working. I've also got a perfect solution for the new plug (pictures coming soon).

BAD NEWS: Apparently GM slightly changed the mounting holes on the new vent. This will probably be a show-stopper for many wanting to do this mod. I've got a very good friend who does body work for a living telling me it's not a big deal, and he can make the necessary changes in under an hour. And he'll do it for free. Now I'm just trying to convince myself to continue on with this. Don't like the idea of having to modify the body panel (even if it is just drilling a hole, and making another hole bigger....and nobody will ever know since it's behind the vent).

I made a rough template of the new vent so you can see what would be involved. The bottom two mounting holes line up perfect, as does one on the top. So a new hole (the top one) would have to be drilled in the top, and the big hole in the middle would have to be made bigger:

Guess I'll sleep on it.

Thanks for pioneering this. Even if it looks like not many other people will be able to follow your lead. Somebody has to try.

After a good night's sleep I am leaning towards following through with this. Actually, the template really helped me visualize how little work it really is. If I didn't already have a good body guy I could just about do it myself. And all the mods would still be hidden by the original vent should you ever need to go back for some reason.

Now, one bit of information on how the two LEDs operate in the new vent;

If you have the LED light pipe powered on via the parking light circuit it is white. When you apply power to the turn signal circuit a bright amber LED at the top of the pipe lights, and the light pipe changes from white to amber (actually it shuts off the white light and turns on an amber one). I simulated the pulsing of the turn signals, and the light pipe stays off (no white light) between flashes. After you leave power off the turn signal circuit for about 5 seconds the light pipe automatically turns back on, white! So there is quite a bit of electronics going on inside that new vent. The good news is all you need is the plain old 12v from the parking light circuit, and the plain old 12v from the turn signal circuit. The vent takes care of the rest internally. Also, those two circuits share the same ground pin on the back of the vent. The other three 'grounds' are not used. So in reality you only need three wires coming off the new vent. I will provide better details, pins-outs, pics, etc once I finish. I'm going to complete the wiring tonight....Should be getting the 'body work' done tomorrow sometime.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.