Will Next SRX Get Hefty Jump In Price?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Will Next SRX Get Hefty Jump In Price? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Just a thought to ponder. With the major increase in price for the new CTS, will they look to do ...
    Lencarguy is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX AWD Premium, Platinum Ice/Ebony

Will Next SRX Get Hefty Jump In Price?

Just a thought to ponder. With the major increase in price for the new CTS, will they look to do the same when the next SRX is released? Seems that Cadillac wants to price it's cars with the big boys now. Any thoughts? I'm guessing yes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD
    Most likely three or four years away from redesign so hard to know. Are the prices not high enough now?

Lencarguy is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX AWD Premium, Platinum Ice/Ebony

Re: Will Next SRX Get Hefty Jump In Price?

Apparently Cadillac doesn't think their prices are high enough. Read the thread about the price scale for the new CTS. Based on it, the same level model I had in 2008 will now cost over $20K more base price for a 2014!

paid4c4 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX/AWD Premium

Since I'm not wearing a Cadillac tattoo and since there is a new Mercedes Dealership being built with in one mile of my house a hugh price increase will make Mercedes completive with the SRX. I left Infiniti for an SRX with Infiniti increased the cost of an FX35 and made the SRX the better buy. I'm prepared to change brands if Cadillac increases the SRX msrp. Since our 2012 just turned 14000 I'm going to try and stretch it to the 2015 model year. That gives them time to get the bugs out of the VUE system and maybe make some other welcomed changes. So far we love our SRX and would buy another one in a minute.

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

There is no doubt that some insiders at GM feel that Cadillac's prices need to come closer to their competition in order to perhaps attract a more affluent clientele.

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Quote Originally Posted by Marc NY View Post
    There is no doubt that some insiders at GM feel that Cadillac's prices need to come closer to their competition in order to perhaps attract a more affluent clientele.
    That would be called greed. It seems to be the great American affliction these days.

It shows you how little research people do on car buying if all it takes is a price increase to get a "more affluent" clientele to run out and buy a Cadillac. If Cadillac gets into the price range of Audi then why not buy the Audi?
    Lencarguy and Lencarguy like this.

algiorda is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 , 2010, 2014 Luxury Raven Blk w/Ebony

I personally feel the economy will not support a price increase of more than a few hundred dollars. The reason the SRX is so successful is because it provides an entry point for a luxury car for those who are looking at Acura MDX, Ford Edge, and other high end crossovers.
    Whistlingdixiee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by algiorda View Post
    I personally feel the economy will not support a price increase of more than a few hundred dollars. The reason the SRX is so successful is because it provides an entry point for a luxury car for those who are looking at Acura MDX, Ford Edge, and other high end crossovers.
    Precisely. I was looking at an Acura MDX when I ended up buying the SRX. Perhaps in hindsight I should have bought the MDX. Maybe I wouldn't have been at the dealership so much after the sale.

Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375 View Post
    That would be called greed. It seems to be the great American affliction these days.

It shows you how little research people do on car buying if all it takes is a price increase to get a "more affluent" clientele to run out and buy a Cadillac. If Cadillac gets into the price range of Audi then why not buy the Audi?
    Ultimately it will be Cadillac's buyers who will be the ones setting the real pricing... for they will either agree to purchase or move on to another vehicle ... for they will be deciding if the vehicle warrants the price or not. I am certainly not saying I agree with increasing the price merely to attract higher end buyers. However, Cadillac is certainly setting the bar much higher with each and every new model they introduce. All you have to do is look at the newest XTS, ATS & now the new CTS ... it is a perfect example of how Cadillac is setting new levels of cutting edge styling, technology and continuously moving the quality bar higher and higher.

IMO: These new vehicles are setting much higher standards of luxury at Cadillac and yes the next GEN III SRX will do the same! I can't wait to see the future of Cadillac with their new redesigned Escalade and then down the road their next new SRX too.
    Whistlingdixiee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375 View Post
    You posted a link without any thoughts or comments??? Yes I watched that PBS segment.... actually very informative indeed. However, what part of that segment did you want comments on? Was is it about the 1%ers gaining 11% more wealth in the last two years or was it about the 99% losing ground? Or was it more about failures of Capitalism or the fallacy of the "real" Market place or was it about the middle class losing ground? It would be nice to hear some of your thoughts so that we may comment on them.

'12CTSman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 SRX AWD Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Lencarguy
    Just a thought to ponder. With the major increase in price for the new CTS, will they look to do the same when the next SRX is released? Seems that Cadillac wants to price it's cars with the big boys now. Any thoughts? I'm guessing yes.
    The 3rd Gen should be out in late 2014 as a '15 model. Only change for '14 is Intellibeam across the board and 3 new colors. Yes, the new SRX will be more expensive, but that will be due to adding current optional packages as standard. Most Cadillac owners want the cheapest model just so they can say they are driving a Cadillac. That is different from other lux brands where the buyers want the top end models. Also, the majority of Caddy owners buy used. Have you noticed the new SRX TV ad shows the woman driving the base or Luxury model without fog lights?

Quote Originally Posted by '12CTSman View Post
    ... That is different from other lux brands where the buyers want the top end models. Also, the majority of Caddy owners buy used. Have you noticed the new SRX TV ad shows the woman driving the base or Luxury model without fog lights?
    12CTsman is touching on some good reasons why Cadillac is trying to move towards the higher end market share. However Cadillac is also trying to reach certain entry level buyers with those kind of commercials too. Cadillac finds itself torn between many new buyers of Cadillacs who just want only the basic entry vehicles and then there are many other buyers that also want and demand more high tech, better materials and lots of innovation and they want all that to become standard equipment too. Some of these new buyers truly want Cadillac to compete globally with the likes of Audi, Mercedes and the BMW's. To do that GM has to not only meet but exceed these customers demands if GM wants to attract new buyers. By trying to move Cadillac upwards into that very competitive market GM has to offer better technology and more standard and or optional luxury equipment. Take a closer look at the newest CTS and that will tell you where Cadillac wants to go. They made the CTS longer/ larger and around 200 lbs lighter than today's CTS. Their interiors are now actually excelling past the best of luxury vehicles.

If you want Cadillac to be a TRUE luxury leader and go head to head in this competitive global market then you will have to realize that better technology and higher quality materials will be used, and it will also have to come at a slightly higher price too.

I see two business models at work. 1) Mark up the price of the vehicles to draw a more "affluent" crowd. You will have a higher profit margin but sell fewer vehicles. 2) Keep the price of the vehicles low to draw a larger portion of the market. You will have a lower profit margin but probably sell more vehicles.

I see #2 as the way to go. The more vehicles you sell the greater then return to your service and parts departments. The greater numbers of your brand on the highway the more other sales it will generate. Increased word-of-mouth advertising. A more diverse customer base which tends to weather the up and down economic cycles better.

However #1 is an easier route to take because it means less labor costs on the part of the manufacturer. Selling fewer cars means having a smaller workforce to support them.

Steve you do make some good points... although as a owner of an SRX I honestly don't want to see one on every corner that I turn at ... and if they are a lot more affordable then there will be many more that will be bought and of course a lot more will be seen. With more SRXs on the road it could lead to a slightly lower resale value too.

One example that I can share with you is through my own personal experience. Back when I purchased my Chevrolet SSR (Super Sport Roadster) a retro hard top convertible truck for those that might not know what an SSR is.... and in 2004 it was $50,000 and in Canada they listed even higher at around $80,000 and some of the 2003 & 2004's were selling at sticker to as high as $5K to $20K over MSRP. For many potential buyers it was way too much money and many certainly moaned and groaned that if the SSR had been $20K-$30K cheaper GM could have sold way more of them and they would have purchased one. However, I was more than willing to pay that kind of money for I knew the SSR was going to be a much smaller niche market vehicle and thus today you will see very few of them driving around. Some of my friends told me that they would have bought a Corvette instead. That is when I reminded them heck you can see one nearly every where you drive. I told them how many SSRs do you see around? One reason I paid that much money was because I wanted something unique. FYI: There are well over 1.5 million Corvettes made today and more on the way .... but there were only 24,112 SSRs ever produced ... so for me I was very happy the high prices kept the sales low. I guess each to their own liking...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.