Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Dvd-a

4K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  '12CTSman 
#1 ·
Spent a few hours looking for an Acura ELS DVDA demo disc since DVDA is about as dead as can be. Wanted to check out what it sounded like in the 2013 SRX. Once a I found someone hosting 5 rar files containing the 2007 Acura RDX ELS demo dvd I started downloading. Took a couple of days... Spent another couple of hours trying to get the ISO burned correctly to DVD. With final disc in hand I went out to my vehicle all excited... Put in the disc... Reading... Ejecting... Wtf. After some further research I discovered the 2013 no longer support DVD audio. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Yet, another coaster...

I fail...

#7 ·
DVD-A is phenomenal. I was bummed too to find out my collection is worthless now for playing in my SRX. No DVD or DTS playing either. I guess Cadillac thinks most SRX owners are 30 something and only listen to music on their iPods and flash drives and decided to save a few bucks by not including the software. The excellent Bose speakers deserve better.

#9 ·
The worst part of this story was my impatience got to me and went ahead and ordered Tommy by the who in DVDa from amazon while I was downloading the els demo disc. I do need to see at home to see
if i have any players that support the format. At least amazon has an awesome return policy. If someone downloads the els demo please let me know how it sounds in the caddy.

#11 ·
Yes!

----------

The worst part of this story was my impatience got to me and went ahead and ordered Tommy by the who in DVDa from amazon while I was downloading the els demo disc. I do need to see at home to see
if i have any players that support the format. At least amazon has an awesome return policy. If someone downloads the els demo please let me know how it sounds in the caddy.
I have DVD-A audio ELS demo discs from my many former Acuras I've owned. Acura introduced DVD-A audio in the '04 Acura TL (The TL also had a cassette player!!!), which I purchased in December of 2003. The system is made by Panasonic.

#12 ·
Currently at work, but really looking forward to the drive home....I just finished downloading/burning the demo DVD-A. I went out to my car long enough to verify the disc works. Very cool, onscreen menu with album art, etc. Played about 20 secs of one of the songs just to see....so neat, it's the first time i've really 'noticed' those speakers on the hatch doing anything. Can't wait to really crank it up and listen to more of the music. great find!

#14 ·
Just burned the Acura DVD-Audio demo disc (after I wasted one not realizing I had to extract the RAR files). Sounds awesome in my 2012!!! I liked the surround demo of the speakers, and I agree, first time I've really heard the back speakers on the lift gate. Now I've got to buy or download moar!!!

#15 ·
Just pop in any 5.1 DVD and you'll hear those rear hatch speakers clear as a bell.

I was trying to find a CD to DVD-a converter, but had no luck. I know those audio channels don't exits in the CD format, but I was hoping to find a converter that simulates 5.1.

Sube

#16 ·
I received the DVD-A Acura Demo disc and played it in my '12 SRX. I was blown away by what I heard. I did not realize that the Bose sound system in this car could sound that good. One of my friends told me to get the 'Love' audio DVD by the Beatles. WOW, it's like they are in the car. This forum is awesome!

#18 ·
I was blown away by what I heard. I did not realize that the Bose sound system in this car could sound that good.
Absolutely!

Audio fidelity is all about the "source". You can't accurately judge our sound system by listening to 64 kbps MP3s, although many people do. Whenever you're listening to XM, FM, Pandora, etc., that music is seriously compressed.

Sube

#17 ·
I dont know if it works, because I think its a DTS CD, but Brian Wilsons 'Imagination' is fantastic in surround. Only place I have ever been able to play it is on my multi-format DVD player with digital audio to my home theater system... I'd love to hear it in a car, but I have the base audio system (non-nav) in the Luxury.

#21 ·
I just popped in an SACD of Dark Side of the Moon. It seems like those speakers in hatch have played for the first time for me. The disc says it's in 5.1 surround. Am I correct in assuming that this is the same as "Dolby Digital" as indicated on the radio? I have the lux with NAV.

#27 ·
Here is where you will find the best selection, albeit at somewhat exhorbitant prices, but it's what the market is considering the limited availabity: http://www.5point1.com/index2.html This company used to provide Acura customers a free disc upon vehicle purchase. The quality of the discs vary. If you can get used discs from Amazon.com that is the way to go, but better yet try eBay.

WARNING: Not all DVD-A, SACD, DTS discs will play in all automobile players. It all depends on the software loaded in the player.

#28 ·
I appreciate all the advice and insight provided within this forum. This is my first luxury vehicle purchase and I have to say the wife and I are enjoying it. I made the DVD-a and am astounded by the output. Even the demo part of the DVD-a is interesting to hear as it goes through the concept of surround sound. It will be hard to listen to the day-to-day music when I know what this system can produce. Thanks again for providing some great insight and the link on how to produce the DVD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.