Dvd-a - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Dvd-a in Cadillac SRX Forums; I received the DVD-A Acura Demo disc and played it in my '12 SRX. I was blown away by what ...
    Denny41 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 SRX-AWD. 2012 SRX Performance AWD

Re: Dvd-a

I received the DVD-A Acura Demo disc and played it in my '12 SRX. I was blown away by what I heard. I did not realize that the Bose sound system in this car could sound that good. One of my friends told me to get the 'Love' audio DVD by the Beatles. WOW, it's like they are in the car. This forum is awesome!

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux

I dont know if it works, because I think its a DTS CD, but Brian Wilsons 'Imagination' is fantastic in surround. Only place I have ever been able to play it is on my multi-format DVD player with digital audio to my home theater system... I'd love to hear it in a car, but I have the base audio system (non-nav) in the Luxury.

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Denny41 View Post
    I was blown away by what I heard. I did not realize that the Bose sound system in this car could sound that good.
    Absolutely!

Audio fidelity is all about the "source". You can't accurately judge our sound system by listening to 64 kbps MP3s, although many people do. Whenever you're listening to XM, FM, Pandora, etc., that music is seriously compressed.

Sube

dmurphy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '13 Evolution Green Luxury SRX (Shale/Brownstone Interior)

Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    Absolutely!

Audio fidelity is all about the "source". You can't accurately judge our sound system by listening to 64 kbps MP3s, although many people do. Whenever you're listening to XM, FM, Pandora, etc., that music is seriously compressed.
    It is precisely for this reason that I bought an iTunes Match subscription. I was able to upgrade the vast majority of my iTunes library to 256kbit AAC audio files. (Even MP3s that I ripped myself -- if iTunes matches it, you can download the 256k AAC version.) That makes a HUGE difference over the standard 128kbit or lower MP3's I had previously.

They play GREAT in the SRX. The only issue I had is that now that the files are larger, they don't all fit on my iPhone anymore - I had to pick and choose what to load!

Next time, 64GB iPhone... or hopefully a 128GB one will be available by then.

Now I wish I had upgraded to nav in my '13 Luxury so I could have the 10-speaker instead of the 8-speaker system. I miss those rear channels. The Bose stereo in my wife's '08 Acadia has far superior sound.

I have a somewhat underground DVD-A called Ultimate Dark Side of the Moon. MY GOODNESS is it amazing! Sometimes I just sit in the Acadia in the driveway to listen to it. Un-freakin-believable.

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    I've got that same Beatles disc. It's great.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny41 View Post
    I received the DVD-A Acura Demo disc and played it in my '12 SRX. I was blown away by what I heard. I did not realize that the Bose sound system in this car could sound that good. One of my friends told me to get the 'Love' audio DVD by the Beatles. WOW, it's like they are in the car. This forum is awesome!

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV
    I just popped in an SACD of Dark Side of the Moon. It seems like those speakers in hatch have played for the first time for me. The disc says it's in 5.1 surround. Am I correct in assuming that this is the same as "Dolby Digital" as indicated on the radio? I have the lux with NAV.

dmurphy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '13 Evolution Green Luxury SRX (Shale/Brownstone Interior)

Quote Originally Posted by 300:29:1 View Post
    I just popped in an SACD of Dark Side of the Moon. It seems like those speakers in hatch have played for the first time for me. The disc says it's in 5.1 surround. Am I correct in assuming that this is the same as "Dolby Digital" as indicated on the radio? I have the lux with NAV.
    Hmm... curious if the CD player in my '13 Lux (non-nav) would play the SACD.

Guess I'm going to have to pick one up.

Quote Originally Posted by dmurphy View Post
    Hmm... curious if the CD player in my '13 Lux (non-nav) would play the SACD.

Guess I'm going to have to pick one up.
    Keep in mind that my radio is labeled to play digital formats. I've heard that this may have been done away with after MY 2012.

'12CTSman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 SRX AWD Premium
    The '13 SRX will not play DVDs, DVD-A, SACD, or DTS discs. I was very bummed by that since I have several dozen DVD-A discs. Yes, the sound is phenomenal, especially in the Acura ELS systems that are superior to the Bose 5.1 system.

Quote Originally Posted by '12CTSman
    The '13 SRX will not play DVDs, DVD-A, SACD, or DTS discs. I was very bummed by that since I have several dozen DVD-A discs. Yes, the sound is phenomenal, especially in the Acura ELS systems that are superior to the Bose 5.1 system.
    Where can one buy DVD A discs?

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by 300:29:1 View Post
    Where can one buy DVD A discs?
    Here is where you will find the best selection, albeit at somewhat exhorbitant prices, but it's what the market is considering the limited availabity: http://www.5point1.com/index2.html This company used to provide Acura customers a free disc upon vehicle purchase. The quality of the discs vary. If you can get used discs from Amazon.com that is the way to go, but better yet try eBay.

WARNING: Not all DVD-A, SACD, DTS discs will play in all automobile players. It all depends on the software loaded in the player.

Rdowning is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD

I appreciate all the advice and insight provided within this forum. This is my first luxury vehicle purchase and I have to say the wife and I are enjoying it. I made the DVD-a and am astounded by the output. Even the demo part of the DVD-a is interesting to hear as it goes through the concept of surround sound. It will be hard to listen to the day-to-day music when I know what this system can produce. Thanks again for providing some great insight and the link on how to produce the DVD.

Does anyone know who makes the head unit in the SRX? I learned the hard way years ago that Bose only provides the speakers for the systems. It used to be Delco, but I have no idea who provides them now, since Delco is defunct.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.