Should I get a Warranty for my 2010?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Should I get a Warranty for my 2010? in Cadillac SRX Forums; My lease is up on my 2010 SRX and I'm considering purchasing the car because it's in amazing condition, relatively ...
    algiorda is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 , 2010, 2014 Luxury Raven Blk w/Ebony

Should I get a Warranty for my 2010?

My lease is up on my 2010 SRX and I'm considering purchasing the car because it's in amazing condition, relatively low miles (37k), my residual is well below market value, and it has not been in the shop for any warranty work. My MFG warranty will expire at the 3 year mark.

With that said, these cars are complex and expensive to fix. Should I purchase after market warranty? Does GM sell a warranty (customer care) ?

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks and regards,
    Al

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Re: Should I get a Warranty for my 2010?

Given the problems I've had with mine, and it only has 21K miles on it, I would highly suggest a warranty. To give you an example of what you're in for, I recently had a headlight assembly replaced because it had internal condensation that would not go away. In fact, it turned out to have water standing in it. If I had not been under warranty, the part alone would have cost me $1,000. Ouch! Mine goes out of warranty in Jan 2014 and I'm hoping if the other headlight assembly is destined for the same thing that it does it before then. My hope is that I'll have sold my SRX before then and moved on to something not so problematic and prone to issues.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

I looked at purchasing the extended warranty on my '10 at purchase, just before I sold it (before I knew I was going to sell it), and again on my '13. Both of these SRX's have been in the shop a few times. The Extended Warranty would have to be used a whole lot in order to pay for itself within the time frame ($2300/ year). While both SRX's have been in the shop a lot, it would take a lot of work before that amount was used up.

In the end I decided against the Extended Warranty. All three times I looked.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

stealth97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Performance FWD

Captain, that seems like a lot to pay each year. Was that from the dealer? Did you try negotiating? Thanks.

I wasn't too interested, so I didn't negotiate.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

Ouch, I didn't think I'd have to pay $2,300 per year for warranty? I think $2300 would just about cover anything other than the engine and trans if it were to go wrong in 1 year???

I was thinking more like $1300 per year. Heck, that's what I pay for auto insurance if the car was totaled.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by algiorda View Post
    My lease is up on my 2010 SRX and I'm considering purchasing the car because it's in amazing condition, relatively low miles (37k), my residual is well below market value, and it has not been in the shop for any warranty work. My MFG warranty will expire at the 3 year mark.

With that said, these cars are complex and expensive to fix. Should I purchase after market warranty? Does GM sell a warranty (customer care) ?

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks and regards,
    Al
    Hello Al,

I see you have gotten some great advice from other forum members on this thread. If you are looking into purchasing an extended service contract, GM does offer a protection plan. The GM Protection Plan contracts - a comprehensive product endorsed by General Motors for GM vehicles - protect against unexpected vehicle repair costs and ensure your vehicle receives proper maintenance. GMPP is available in a variety of coverages and time and mileage combinations. A website,http://www.gmprotectionplan.com/, goes into more detail on each plan. It can be purchased at a certified GM dealership if you choose to do so. Just some information on what is available to you. Please reach out to us with any other questions or concerns!

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

...I was thinking more like $1300 per year. Heck, that's what I pay for auto insurance if the car was totaled.
    I would pay less if mine got totaled. So guess which is cheaper (even after would be the hit to my license).

cadigirlchicago2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury

I looked into it for my 2010 but passed. It was expensive plus you still have to pay $100 deductable everytime you take it into the shop. My husband just puts money to the side every month for repairs so if something comes up that we choose to fix, we have the money set aside, if it's something big, we'd probably dump it for a new car.

Laura,

Thank you very much for this information.

Here in Florida, we are not allowed to purchase the vehicle directly from the leasing company and must return to the dealer to execute the lease->purchase transaction. I will review the warranty options during this meeting.

Thanks again,
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hello Al,

I see you have gotten some great advice from other forum members on this thread. If you are looking into purchasing an extended service contract, GM does offer a protection plan. The GM Protection Plan contracts - a comprehensive product endorsed by General Motors for GM vehicles - protect against unexpected vehicle repair costs and ensure your vehicle receives proper maintenance. GMPP is available in a variety of coverages and time and mileage combinations. A website,http://www.gmprotectionplan.com/, goes into more detail on each plan. It can be purchased at a certified GM dealership if you choose to do so. Just some information on what is available to you. Please reach out to us with any other questions or concerns!

Regards,

Laura M.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Laura,

Thank you very much for this information.

Here in Florida, we are not allowed to purchase the vehicle directly from the leasing company and must return to the dealer to execute the lease->purchase transaction. I will review the warranty options during this meeting.

Thanks again,
    Al
    Hi Al,

You are very welcome!

Sincerely,

Laura M.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.