Key Fob Programming Problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Key Fob Programming Problems in Cadillac SRX Forums; I bought a 2011 SRX a few weeks ago, it only came with one fob. I bought one off ebay, ...
    tley is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX

Key Fob Programming Problems

I bought a 2011 SRX a few weeks ago, it only came with one fob. I bought one off ebay, advertised as new and works perfectly, same FCC ID. I followed the program instructions and i can not get past the step where you push the ignition button to learn the remote. I thought it might be the battery, replaced it... no luck. Went to the dealership and was told that its either defective or that it has been programmed to another vehicle and can not be programmed to mine now; this was from the service guy. He even printed me off documentation to prove his point because i did not believe him. Has anybody else had this problem programming a remote? Also could someone tell me how long it takes to learn the the remote after hitting the ignition button (how long does it take for the screen to say ready for the next remote)?
    Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Andy_TN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Key Fob Programming Problems

I don't buy the statement that if it was programmed to another vehicle that it cannot be programmed to yours. That just defies logic....that a remote is a "one time use" object and is somehow unable to be reprogrammed once paired to a vehicle. Anyways, are you following the instructions in the manual or instructions online? I ask because I was following some on-line instructions in doing the procedure for my 2010 and was not successful because it was missing a step. I then popped out the manual (as I should've done to begin with) and was able to complete the programming. Good luck.

I was having a hard time buying it also. You see used remotes for sale all over the internet, I’m sure there is a way to “wipe” vehicle info off of a used fob. I did follow the manual steps… several times. Just wandering, when you programmed your remote, how long after you pressed the ignition button did it take for your DIC to display that it was ready to program the next remote? thanks

hinschar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Srx

Hi!
    I am having the same problem as you, and the remote I purchased is brand new! I went to the dealer and he told me that the programing instructions written in the manual DO NOT WORK! He said it can only be programed by the dealer and takes 1 and 1/2 hours and cost $150!

I was totally shocked when I heard that!

Did you find a better solution?

I have not found a solution… that I was willing to try. There is always the dealer route and then I had found a method that deletes all remotes associated with a vehicle (as a safety feature if a remote is lost or stolen) but I was scared if I did that I would be unable to program any remote. I have bought another remote that I am still waiting on from a seller on ebay that was recommended by other forum members. It should be here Monday or Tuesday I will post how that experience goes.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by hinschar View Post
    Hi!
    I am having the same problem as you, and the remote I purchased is brand new! I went to the dealer and he told me that the programing instructions written in the manual DO NOT WORK! He said it can only be programed by the dealer and takes 1 and 1/2 hours and cost $150!

I was totally shocked when I heard that!

Did you find a better solution?
    Hello hinschar,

I am sorry you are having key fob programming problems. I understand how you can be hesitant to pay that money at the dealership for a reprogram. I see other members on this forum are trying alternatives. Let me know how everything goes and if you would like to discuss other questions or concerns, please let me know!

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hello hinschar,

I am sorry you are having key fob programming problems. I understand how you can be hesitant to pay that money at the dealership for a reprogram. I see other members on this forum are trying alternatives. Let me know how everything goes and if you would like to discuss other questions or concerns, please let me know!

Regards,

Laura M.
    Hi Laura,

What I would like to know if what the dealer told me is true, that the programming instructions printed in the SRX users manual are a mistake and do not work?

Respectfully,

Hinschar

Quote Originally Posted by hinschar View Post
    Hi Laura,

What I would like to know if what the dealer told me is true, that the programming instructions printed in the SRX users manual are a mistake and do not work?

Respectfully,

Hinschar
    Hi Hinschar,

If you private message me, we can continue our interaction that way. In the message can you please provide me with your VIN and dealership name and location so I can help look into this for you.

Laura M.

Laura, all...
    I received my remote from ebay seller "remotewholesale"; which several other members had success with. I followed the instructions in the manual and still no luck. I can't get past the step where you push the ignition button. There has got to be a solution without buying a brand new remote from the dealer and paying them another huge chunk of money to have them program it.

Quote Originally Posted by tley View Post
    Laura, all...
    I received my remote from ebay seller "remotewholesale"; which several other members had success with. I followed the instructions in the manual and still no luck. I can't get past the step where you push the ignition button. There has got to be a solution without buying a brand new remote from the dealer and paying them another huge chunk of money to have them program it.
    Hi tley,

I am sorry you are having difficulties reprogramming your key fob. I have found the directions to reprogram starting on page 2-6 in the owner's manual. I see you stated other members had success with the remote which you purchased. Have you thought about reaching out to these other members with their success advice? I am just trying to help you solve this issue without having to go to the dealer. However, if you change your mind, I am more than happy to help set up an appointment for you at the dealership.

Regards,

Laura M.

NVSRX12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Premium

Andy_TN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Weird.....but I find it unlikely you've gotten two bad remotes. Only thing I can suggest is to post what you've been doing, in your own words, step by step. Maybe there's a small thing you're doing wrong and may not realize it? Don't know what else to suggest, short of turning to the dealer. Good luck.

tiensinh99 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): srx
    Maybe you reach the limit how many remote you can program your vehicle. I think there are limit of 9 total then you had to reset them all to re program again.

Good News!!!

After buying several remotes online which I was not able to program, I finally decided to buy a "Brand New" one directly from GM so that I can know for sure that it was never programed to a different car.

I purchased one from the site "GM Parts Direct" for $99 it arrived in a few days and lo and behold in less than a minute it was programed and ready to go without any costly visits to the dealer!

If anyone wants more information I will be happy to share it with you.

ezstriper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 STS

yes...I got 2 from Ebay that were new and neither would program, new one from dealer worked 1st time...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.