Cadillac Recalling 2013 SRX with 18" Wheels ???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Cadillac Recalling 2013 SRX with 18" Wheels ??? in Cadillac SRX Forums; I just read (on local news website) that GM is issuing a recall on 2013 SRX's with 18" Tires due ...
    Kuya is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury, Black Raven with Nav

Cadillac Recalling 2013 SRX with 18" Wheels ???

I just read (on local news website) that GM is issuing a recall on 2013 SRX's with 18" Tires due to an issue with the lug nuts not being tight enough?

Can someone confirm this?

Of course, the article makes it sound as if your tires could all fall off any second (highly doubt that). No issues have been reported as of yet . . of course Media loves hype.

Anyway . .anyone else hear this? I have a 2013 with 18" tires

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

davedogcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium (3.0L, FWD), 2008 CTS (3.6L DI, AWD)

Re: Cadillac Recalling 2013 SRX with 18" Wheels ???

looks like it's beyond just local news: http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...illac-srx.html

Kuya is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury, Black Raven with Nav

I had imagined it was not a local news story lol . .just sharing how I read about it.

Well, now. I am very excited to go in and get my nuts tightened.

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD
    Standard of the World? Dealer does not check this before putting on lot for test drive/sale?

This is the very reason that GM is bashed for lack of quality and service.

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    I had imagined it was not a local news story lol . .just sharing how I read about it.

Well, now. I am very excited to go in and get my nuts tightened.
    ROFLMAO

Quote Originally Posted by adamjeeps View Post
    Standard of the World? Dealer does not check this before putting on lot for test drive/sale? This is the very reason that GM is bashed for lack of quality and service.
    It makes me wonder why only the 18" wheels are effected? Perhaps the 18" wheel automatic lugnut run-down gun was malfunctioning??

FYI: The dealers would not be checking the torque on any lug-nuts on any vehicle since it is suppose to be correctly torqued when it was built and leaves the assembly plant.

*EDIT* --> Since there is a bulletin on this issue then all dealers should be checking every new SRX's with 18" wheels before they leave the dealer's lots.

nemosr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX, 1941 61-27

I have not heard any mention regarding the 2012 models, but am interested since I have a '12 Luxury with 18 inch wheels. I have had it for over a year and the wheels are still on the car. If anyone has heard anything please post same. Thanks

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    I just read (on local news website) that GM is issuing a recall on 2013 SRX's with 18" Tires due to an issue with the lug nuts not being tight enough?

Can someone confirm this?

Of course, the article makes it sound as if your tires could all fall off any second (highly doubt that). No issues have been reported as of yet . . of course Media loves hype.

Anyway . .anyone else hear this? I have a 2013 with 18" tires
    Hello Kuya,

If you would private message me with your VIN, I am more than happy to look into this for you and discuss the situation.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

The below issue was what I had expected had happened where one or more wheel nuts had been torqued at (the lower end of the torque specifications) caused in part by one of their lug nut run down machines that was used at the SRX assembly plant. Also in the mix was their wheel nuts with a blue tint Teflon topcoating that may have contributed to the lower end torque issues. Below is a more detailed and up to date link that I found concerning the 18" wheel nuts.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013...issue-recalls/

General Motors will recall almost 19,000 2013 Cadillac SRX models because the lug nuts on its 18-inch wheels may loosen, the automaker told the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

In a report posted Friday on the safety agency’s Web site, the automaker said it traced the problem to “wheel nuts with a blue tint Teflon content topcoat, a nut torque at the lower end of the acceptable range and a rarely occurring rotor dimensional characteristic.” The combination means “one or more of the wheel lug nuts could detach” possibly causing a crash. However, the automaker said it found the problem on vehicles in its fleet and was not aware of any wheels coming off or crashes related to the defect.

It appears that GM may have caught all of or most of them before they got out to the public...

cadillac 31 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Is this a problem i could fix myself like tighten the nuts myself just curious

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux

Aside from the possibility that a certain type of lugnut might back off, there's only two real issues with torque.

Make sure it is correct. This is pretty self explanatory.

Make sure all 5 lugs are the same. With aluminum wheels, there is a possibility of cracking if all torques are not the same. With steel wheels, the rotors may prematurely warp. Notice, it doesnt matter if the torque is correct, just that it is consistent.

Even a distracted driver would notice a loose lugnut from the vibrations. Correct and the same torque just fixes possible problems down the road.

This is why I always recheck torque when I get home, any time wheels have been off. My torque wrench isnt calibrated, so may be off a couple of ft-lbs, but its more important that everything is similar...

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Huey Driver View Post

Make sure all 5 lugs are the same. ....
    SRX's have six lugs. Just saying...
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

nemosr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX, 1941 61-27

Quote Originally Posted by nemosr View Post
    I have not heard any mention regarding the 2012 models, but am interested since I have a '12 Luxury with 18 inch wheels. I have had it for over a year and the wheels are still on the car. If anyone has heard anything please post same. Thanks
    I did check with my dealer and he told me the recall was restricted only to 2013 SRX with 18 inch wheels.

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux

well, I stand corrected... I've never had the caps off on mine. I actually plead guilty to trusting them with my last rotation, but I intend to trade up after 4 years.
    If you have 5 tight lugs, as Captain points out, you might still want to check the 6th... :-)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.