2012 SRX fuel filter
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, 2012 SRX fuel filter in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hello, I'm thinking that I should change my fuel filter on my 12 SRX but could not locate it and ...
    rj1
    rj1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX

2012 SRX fuel filter

Hello,

I'm thinking that I should change my fuel filter on my 12 SRX but could not locate it and found nothing in the owners manual regarding the recommended change interval. Appreciate some input. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD
    Why?

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Re: 2012 SRX fuel filter

I would tend to think your fuel filter should be OK ... how many miles are on your SRX?

Most newer vehicles do not have a specified interval for replacing the fuel filter. In fact, some even have "lifetime" filters that supposedly never need to be changed. But any filter can plug up if enough rust or debris gets sucked into the fuel inlet.

Gasoline is supposed to be filtered at the pump. But it sometimes isn't. What's more, the fuel you put in your tank may be contaminated with water from leaky underground storage tanks, improperly mixed alcohol blends, or even watered-down by an unscrupulous operator who's trying to make a fast buck. So there are no guarantees.

If you don't want to replace the filter unnecessarily, you can remove it and check it to see if it passes air easily (More information on replacing fuel filters is available). If the filter creates any significant resistance when you blow through it, it needs to be replaced.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Many new fuel filters from manufacturers are in the tank. Which means you have to drop the tank to change the filter, and is partially why some filters are 'lifetime' filters.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

rj1

Ok thanks..... Every gm car I've owned in the past has listed regular fuel filter intervals and even provided the AC Delco part number. Since the owners manual makes to reference to the fuel filter whatsoever, I figured I would ask other SRX owners to see what they have done.

NotMine is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux, with several upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    Many new fuel filters from manufacturers are in the tank. Which means you have to drop the tank to change the filter, and is partially why some filters are 'lifetime' filters.

While I think this is technically correct, I also believe the fuel filter in the tank is attached to the fuel pump AND CANNOT be purchased separately. Therefore, if changing the fuel filter is your absolute intent, you will need to purchase the ENTIRE fuel pump....for a cost of about $500.

rj1

Ok thank you....that's the information I was looking for. I am not going to replace the fuel pump just to replace the filter. My thought was if it was an external filter that was readily accessable I would replace it as part of the routine maintenance.

Ponyman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium, Radiant Silver

AC/Delco part number GF844. $22.79 from Rock Auto. Doesn't give location, but if they run true to gm form it is probably located somewhere on the frame between the gas tank and the engine.

redvett94 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

GM and all MFR's havent used external fuel filters since they went to returnless fuel systems in early 2000's. No filters on the line since the pump only feeds the injectors and there is no return line.
    DI engines use two pumps and the primary has the filter in the tank.
    I wouldnt worry as the returnless system has a history of 180000+ miles on a pump.

Ponyman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium, Radiant Silver

All i can tell you is there IS a fuel filter listed for the 3.6 SRX on both Rock auto's and GM Parts direct website. Boyh sell them for around $23. GM pars direct als lists two fuel pumps. One with an extrnal filter, and one withut and external. This leads me to believe that some SRX's DO have an external filter.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.