2011 SRX Power Steering Goans like an old dog..............
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, 2011 SRX Power Steering Goans like an old dog.............. in Cadillac SRX Forums; I have asked this before, but issue continues. When the car is a idle and you move it, the power ...
    thende is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

2011 SRX Power Steering Goans like an old dog..............

I have asked this before, but issue continues.

When the car is a idle and you move it, the power steering groans like an old dog, and you feel it in the steering wheel.

Two times (Random), it was so loud I thought the pump quit. I have taken it to the dealer and I'm told "They all do that". Note if you rev it up, smooths out, almost like the pump does not have enough flow at idle or they set the idle low to save fuel, or poor design, or the dog issue.

I have checked the fluid, even swapped it. No debris or smokey fluid.....

Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

2011_SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX

Re: 2011 SRX Power Steering Goans like an old dog..............

I have a 2011 SRX just shy of 17,000 miles and you have provided a perfect description of the exact steering symptoms I endure. I have little to no faith in my dealership so rather than afford them the opportunity to mess up something else, I simply live with the symptoms. Three of four hubcaps on crooked following a tire rotation, I wouldn't want that person working on my steering!

packardv8 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 Saab 9-4X Premium XWD

almost like the pump does not have enough flow at idle or they set the idle low to save fuel, or poor design, or the dog issue.
    All of the above. It's a generic GM pump installed on one of their heaviest vehicles with the widest tires. Most likely, it's just too much resistance.

jack vines

Thanks for responding. Just a major flaw on what is a great vehicle. Also, no response from GM rep, so I will assume the worst (Live with it).

Tim

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by thende View Post
    I have taken it to the dealer and I'm told "They all do that".
    Hogwash!!!!

The things some of these lazy, incompetent service departments say to avoid doing a little work/research. The noise you decribed is NOT normal. If it was, all of them would do it. If your gut instincts tell you something is not right, go with that over their lame excuses. Even if this was true, I've discovered defects in this car that were present across the the entire model line. Just because they all do something, doesn't make it normal. It just means they all have the same defect.

There was a similar issue a while back with a grinding noise in cold weather during slow speed or stationary steering. It was produced during the exact same scenario you described. Turned out to be parts in the steering column that weren't properly lubricated during assembly. There was a Service Bulletin for this. Maybe if this repair was never done, the problem is starting to present itself in any temperature. There was another issue with steering noise that required installing new front strut mounts. The Service Bulletin no. was PI0368.

I don't work for GM. Nor am I a mechanic. Yet I can manage to come upon this information. All of this info is available to every service department. They only need a genuine desire to find it.

Sube

SteveWise is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium Collection FWD

I agree with you, Sube. Whether this is a factory assembly issue, substandard part, or design flaw/inadequacy, it should be fixed or made to work properly for this vehicle.

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

What I don't understand is why General Motors puts up with keeping dealerships like this. They only serve to hurt the brand and run off customers. I say shut 'em down.

2011_SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX

The Cadillac dealer in this area suffers from turnover. Three different Service Managers and goodness knows how many mechanics. It is hard to find and keep good people these days. If I take my SRX in and discuss a repair the Service Manager (of the day) will apologize for the problem, then assign a mechanic that has worked there less than a week. Maybe the mechanic is good, maybe not. The SRX is returned fixed or not fixed or perhaps something else was broken in the process. In my personal experience, it becomes a question of how many times does the customer want to repeat the process or how far does the customer care to drive to seek a better dealership.

I'm 100% with Sube, all of the problems described in this forum can be fixed, unfortunately in this area, the dealership needs to be fixed first.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by thende View Post
    I have asked this before, but issue continues.

When the car is a idle and you move it, the power steering groans like an old dog, and you feel it in the steering wheel.

Two times (Random), it was so loud I thought the pump quit. I have taken it to the dealer and I'm told "They all do that". Note if you rev it up, smooths out, almost like the pump does not have enough flow at idle or they set the idle low to save fuel, or poor design, or the dog issue.

I have checked the fluid, even swapped it. No debris or smokey fluid.....

Thoughts?
    Hello thende,

I understand how you want your vehicle concern fixed. I am sorry you have taken it to a dealership and was told "they all do that". If you private message me with your contact information and VIN I am happy to be a liaison between you and a new dealership, if you want a second opinion from different mechanics. I say this, depending on where you live.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

rjleitz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

It is may 2013... Has anything been done about the " old dog" in the srx steering system ???
    I just bought a 2010 srx last week. I just had it to my dealer, 40 miles away, about the grown
    In the steering at slow speed.
    Of course by the time I arrived at the dealer it didn't make the sound...

davedogcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium (3.0L, FWD), 2008 CTS (3.6L DI, AWD)

I have the exact same issue with my 2010 FWD SRX. I did some research and thought it was the upper strut mount issue, so the dealership replaced them. I also asked them to check on the recall. Issue still exists. I have no confidence in the dealership's ability to figure stuff like this out so I've lived with it so far. Only noticeable at very low speeds (less then 5 MPh). I may try to have it resolved once more before my warranty expires. I wish someone here had the solution so I knew where to point the dealership.....that seems to be the only way I have success with them....when *I* tell them what to do.

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD
    Have same issue on my Avalanche. The power steering hose was redesigned to allow more flow at lower rpm. I never changed mine since warranty was expired, but that could be the problem here as well.

NJRLCAD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX AWD

Quote Originally Posted by davedogcaddy View Post
    I have the exact same issue with my 2010 FWD SRX. I did some research and thought it was the upper strut mount issue, so the dealership replaced them. I also asked them to check on the recall. Issue still exists. I have no confidence in the dealership's ability to figure stuff like this out so I've lived with it so far. Only noticeable at very low speeds (less then 5 MPh). I may try to have it resolved once more before my warranty expires. I wish someone here had the solution so I knew where to point the dealership.....that seems to be the only way I have success with them....when *I* tell them what to do.

I had the front strut mounts replaced twice because of the grinding noise in cold weather, and it again happened a bit this past winter when the temp got down around 30. Since the warranty has expired, however, I will live with it, but sadly my 20+ GM years will be done after this car.

davedogcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium (3.0L, FWD), 2008 CTS (3.6L DI, AWD)

Quote Originally Posted by adamjeeps View Post
    Have same issue on my Avalanche. The power steering hose was redesigned to allow more flow at lower rpm. I never changed mine since warranty was expired, but that could be the problem here as well.
    I think there may be some truth to this for the SRX as well. I've noticed that sometimes at lower speeds the steering is fine, but I could never figure out the rhyme or reason to it. Well today I made sure to watch the RPMs (instead of the speed) as I was pulling out of my driveway. If you are turning while the RPMs are sitting at about the same as the idle RPMs (about 500 on mine), the steering groans. If you give it some gas and can get the RPM up just a bit higher, say 750 or so, it's smooth as butter.

This may be why not everyone has the issue, since (if I remember correctly from an old thread) some people's SRX's were idling higher than others.

Of course without a TSB it will be a nightmare trying to get the dealership to correct it...

Laura, PM sent, sorry for the wait.

Tim[COLOR="Silver"]

----------

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.